This job has now expired please search on the home page to find live IT Jobs.
Apply by Monday 20th November 2023 at 23:55
We are currently recruiting for Solutions Architects to join our forward thinking and progressive teams based in DE&S HQ - Abbey Wood, Bristol, giving you a fantastic chance to form an integral part of our IM&IT (Information Management & Information Technology) function.
You will lead the technical design of specific solutions to meet DE&S business requirements ensuring they meet agreed architectural principles and standards, responsible for managing a strategic approach to ensure that information and IT is secure, reliable, available, and managed in line with departmental and legal requirements.
We are recruiting into very dynamic teams which operate across multiple areas. You will be responsible for delivery at various levels, following a structured approach to enterprise architecture and design, to deliver projects and solutions in line with the strategic intent.
You will require pre-existing strong leadership and management skills to develop and maintain relationships and reputation with an operationally focussed and specialist stakeholder community. As such, the posts of Solutions Architect are one of significant influence and requires an individual with the appetite for significant intellectual challenge and who is prepared to deliver leading edge technical solutions at pace. You will also benefit from being part of a large community of IT Architects and IT professionals, where best practice and ideas are shared.
It would be advantageous if you had or were working towards TOGAF Practitioner and/or architecture modelling experience but this isn't essential and can be achieved whilst in post.
Please note, due to the nature of work, all posts are open to Sole UK Nationals only. The successful candidates will need to undergo a SC (Security Clearance) check and then attain a DV (Developed Vetting) clearance once in post.
Whilst the role is flexible working, there will be regular onsite requirements to Abbey Wood plus also travel to other customer sites across the country including Hereford where travel costs will be subsidised.
Whilst on site, you will experience our impressive range of on-site facilities including a restaurant, coffee bistros and parking. Our sports facilities include a fully equipped gym and sports hall with bookable classes, as well as a squash court, tennis courts and a football pitch.
- Define and create multiple options of systems solutions to inform the decision of the most effective way of meeting business needs, whilst assessing associated risks in collaboration with Senior Architects.
- Maintain and increase technical knowledge to ensure IT solutions, exploiting the full advantages of the functionality available.
- Recommend design structures and tools for systems which meet business needs and takes into consideration compatibility with existing systems.
- Engage with multiple stakeholders across the business to support the delivery of the Solution Designs, IT strategy, policies and processes in own specialist area.
- Lead on process improvement initiatives and contribute to the strategy.
- Translate business needs into physical designs and produce detailed design documentation, working collaboratively with Business Analysts.
To be successful with your application, you'll need to show that you meet the following essential criteria:
- Experience in solution design.
In addition to the responsibilities above, the following technical competences and behaviours will be assessed at interview:
- Strategy, Architecture and Solution Design - Practitioner
- Development and Implementation - Supervised Practitioner
- Changing and Improving - Level 3
- Seeing the Big Picture - Level 3
- 25 days' annual leave +1 day a year up to 30 days, 8 bank holidays and a day off for the King's birthday
- Flexible and hybrid working wherever possible, to support your work-life balance (though some attendance to the stated site is required)
- Market-leading employer pension contribution of around 27%
- Annual performance-based bonus and recognition awards
- Access to specialist training and funded professional qualifications
- Support for progression
- Huge range of discounts
- Volunteering days
- Enhanced parental leave schemes
We believe in creating an inclusive environment where our people can grow, thrive, and be their authentic selves. We value diversity of thought and the ways in which it enriches our culture and our work. So whether you're looking for a new opportunity, a next step, or a helping hand as you return from a career break, here you'll find a supportive, family-friendly organisation to be a part of. And if you need any assistance with your application, just let us know.
Things you need to know
Selection process details
Your application will go through the following stages of assessment:
- Pre-sift - We will check that you meet any essential or eligibility criteria that are listed in the Person Specification section of this advert. On your CV, please clearly show how you meet the essential criteria.
- Sift - Your CV will be assessed against the following categories, using a simple numerical scoring system: Key Achievements; Relevant Experience; Applied Knowledge and Skills
Please follow our guidance on CV writing for best chance of success.
- Interview - If you're invited to interview, you'll be assessed against the Sift categories listed above, as well as the Technical Competences and Behaviours listed in the Person Specification section of this advert.
Feedback will only be provided if you attend an interview.
Offering at a lower level
If you are not successful at interview, we may offer you a role at a lower level if this is more suitable - if you accept this position, you'll have the opportunity to build your skills and experience to take your career to the next level.
Ready to join us as a Solutions Architect? Apply today!