Lead Intelligence Manager: Compliance and Assurance
This job has now expired please search on the home page to find live IT Jobs.
The U.K. Intellectual Property Office (IPO) is the government agency responsible for patents, designs, trade mark and copy right. The Rights, Policy & Enforcement Directorate support holders of all IP rights by engaging with law enforcement agencies to assist in the enforcement of those rights.
The IPO Intelligence & Law Enforcement team is a key part of this, with nationally trained and accredited staff working to provide intelligence on criminal IP infringement to law enforcement agencies and other government agency partners.
This is an exciting opportunity to join the team as the Lead Intelligence Manager Compliance & Assurance. In this role you will be responsible for providing day-to-day, first line management of the new Compliance & Assurance function for the IPO Intelligence and Law Enforcement team, ensuring that all intelligence and investigatory work is conducted in a legally compliant and proportionate manner.
As the Lead Intelligence Manager for Compliance and Assurance you will develop and implement new policies and standard operational procedures (SOPs), legal data sharing agreements in line with law, regulation, and guidance to govern the working practices within the Intelligence and Law Enforcement team.
To introduce a new quality assurance system, you will design and implement a regime of internal audits, review and inspections and, working with the other specialist team leads, will help to maintain a high level of quality and compliance across the team.
The IPO's preferred working arrangement is hybrid, where staff are currently expected to attend the office 1 day per week, or equivalent if part-time, on-site at our Newport office. However, we recognise that this is a hard to fill role which may not require attendance more than once a month, so in exceptional circumstances a homeworking contract may be available. We would encourage candidates to discuss with the recruiting manager through this process. Should you be eligible for homeworking, travel will be paid for if there is a business requirement to attend the office.
Occasional travel to meeting and events around the UK, and sometimes overseas, may also be required.
The successful candidate will lead a new Intelligence Compliance & Assurance team to:
- Lead on the development and implementation of policy and standard operational procedures (SOPs) in line with law, regulation, and guidance
- Lead on the negotiation of all legal agreements required for the acquisition and handling of data and Intelligence with external partners
- Engage with external partners to acquire access to Intelligence systems and data sources, and maintain all licensing requirements for data sets and software for the Intelligence & Law Enforcement team
- Lead on developments within the field of Intelligence development and investigation, ensuring the IPO is using the latest tools, techniques, and best practice
- Develop innovative solutions to improve the analysis of bulk, complex and sensitive data used by the team
- Implement quality assurance standards across the Intelligence & Law Enforcement team relating to Intelligence security and practice in accordance with law, regulation, and guidance
- Undertake internal audits, reviews, and inspections of the operational use of Intelligence; report findings and work with colleagues to resolve any issues and risks
- In liaison with other operational and departmental leads, provide appropriate responses to recommendations made in respect of external inspections, reviews, audits and legal or regulatory proceedings
- Report operational security incidents and/or compromises both internally and externally (if appropriate) and reduce the risk to future operations
- Identify and co-ordinate all training requirements for the Intelligence and Law Enforcement team, maintaining a central training record to ensure all professional accreditations are kept up to date.
- Work with other senior managers in the team to develop access to legislative powers and Intelligence (including sensitive intelligence) relevant to the investigation of serious and organised intellectual property-related crime
- Provide specialist advice and oversight in the planning and delivery of investigations using both covert and overt law enforcement tactics
- Lead on the development and maintenance (to national standards) of central registers relating to the lawful and appropriate use of intelligence sources, tools, techniques, and legal powers.
- Provide specialist advice and guidance on the application of legislation to the conduct of intelligence development and investigations, including such legislation as: the Proceeds of Crime Act 2002, The Investigatory Powers Act 2016, the Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act 2000, the Data Protection Act 2018, the Enterprise Act 2002, and the Human Rights Act 1998.
- A very generous pension scheme with 27.1% - 27.9% employer contributions. Further information around the benefits of joining the Civil Service can be found via the Civil Service Pension Scheme page;
- 25 days annual leave moving to 30 days in annual increments (1 day per year) over 5 years of reckonable service. You will also get 8 days public leave and 1 day privilege leave;
- The opportunity to form part of our many inclusive network groups
- A variety of support functions including our excellent Staff Counselling Service which is a source of support for all staff at the IPO
- A flexible working scheme which has no core hours and excellent opportunities for home, part-time and term-time working;
- Eligibility for special and office-wide bonus payments
- Excellent development opportunities;
- Opportunities for secondments, both internal and external;
- Opportunities to join many civil-service clubs such as the Sports and Social Association, Motoring Club (CSMA), which provide numerous discounts to members
When working at Concept House, Newport the following benefits are also available:
- Free car parking is available on site;
- On-site facilities including gymnasium, shop, restaurant