|Recruiter:||UK Atomic Energy Authority|
|Listed on:||17th May|
|Salary/Rate:||£36,397 - £52,293|
This job has now expired please search on the home page to find live IT Jobs.
Software Engineer (VR)
By 2050, the planet could be using twice as much electricity compared to today. Are you interested in contributing and helping to shape the future of the world's energy? If so, read on.
Fusion, the process that powers the Sun and Stars, is one of the most promising options for generating the cleaner, carbon-free energy that our world badly needs. UKAEA are at the forefront of realising energy from fusion, working with industry and research partners to deliver the ground-breaking developments that will underpin tomorrow's fusion power stations with the aim of bringing fusion electricity to the grid.
RACE (Remote Applications in Challenging Environments) is based at Culham, within UKAEA, specialising in remote handling and automated systems.
Who are we looking for?
Do you have extensive experience creating intricate solutions in a diverse range of complex environments?
RACE (Remote Applications in Challenging Environments) is seeking talented software engineers with a proven track record. You will be responsible for leading projects with expertise in software development, producing digital twin environments, and working on the design and execution of research projects relating to robotics and haptic tele-operation. With a focus on developing remote handling systems for the next generations of power stations, this role will support the UK effort to apply novel technologies to all challenging and harsh environments for the protection of people and advancement of industry.
The main responsibilities of the role will be the delivery of complex technical projects from conception to delivery. This will include:
- Software Engineering with Object Oriented programming languages and design patterns
- Writing front and back-end applications for use with robotic systems
- Involvement in the implementation of Graphical User Interfaces
- Working with Unreal Engine and VR
- Integration with control systems and operations software
- Supporting other engineers and managers with application issues (e.g. user ability, bugs, training requirements, configuration)
- Acting as sole or primary interface to internal and external collaborators on project work or areas of specific expertise
- Acting as the lead engineer, contributing to the remote handling operations of JET, the world's largest magnetically confined fusion experiment
International travel to customers' and collaborators' sites may be required
Essential skills, experience and competence required
- Master's degree in Control Engineering or a related subject
- Strong experience with VR, Unity, Unreal Engine 4, or similar
- Demonstrable experience working in engineering
- Good interpersonal and communication skills and a proven ability of technical leadership
- A strong understanding of software engineering techniques and design principles including lifecycle, version control, documentation
- Strong programming capability in C++ (or Python)
- Strong experience with Object Oriented Design
- Experience of design and practical implementation of Graphical User Interfaces
Desirable skills, experience and competence
- PhD in Control Engineering or a related subject
- Machine learning and Computer Vision experience
- Extensive experience working in a related engineering field
- Experience of developing real time software using VxWorks, or RT Linux
- Experience of designing control systems for servo-actuator systems
- Knowledge of mathematical modelling and optimisation of servo systems
- Knowledge of regulations relating to safety of machines
- Familiarity with system modelling UML/SysML beneficial
- Familiarity with source code version control systems (Git, SVN etc.)
- Experience with network-based communications, E.g. TCP, UDP, DDS
- Experience working with mobile robotics
- Understanding of sensor fusion techniques
- Professional registration
- Understanding of machine safety legislation and standards
- Experience writing procurement specifications for control systems
Please note, we welcome applications across 2 levels, the level is determined by skills and experience against the set criteria. The level 4 role attracts a salary range of £36,397 to £38,620 (inclusive of MPP) and the level 5 attracts a salary of £49,396 to £52,293 (inclusive of MPP).
What we offer
Our comprehensive benefits package includes a vibrant culture committed to being fully inclusive, an Employee Assistance Programme and trained Mental Health First Aiders, flexible working options including family friendly policies, emergency paid leave, generous annual leave allowance (30.5 days) increased with length of service, wide range of career development opportunities, outstanding defined benefit pension scheme; corporate bonus scheme and a relocation allowance (if eligible).
We welcome applications from under-represented groups, particularly from individuals from black and other ethnic minority backgrounds, including nationality and citizenship, people with disabilities, (visible and hidden) and women. The Executive Team, with support from our EDI ‘Equality, Diversity and Inclusion' (EDI) partner and Inclusion Ambassadors, is actively promoting EDI and taking steps to increase the diversity of our people through reinforcing best practice in recruitment and selection, and revaluating approaches where it is clear we can remove barriers to success. We are easily accessible by car and are a 10-minute walk from Culham Railway Station in Oxfordshire.
Please be advised that this vacancy is due to close on 13/06/2022.
Please note, all employees working at the UK Atomic Energy Authority will be required to complete an online Disclosure Certificate application as part of their clearance - The Disclosure & Barring Service (DBS) checks will show the details of all current criminal convictions (convictions considered unspent under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974) or will confirm that there are no such convictions.