|Recruiter:||UK Atomic Energy Authority|
|Listed on:||16th May|
This job has now expired please search on the home page to find live IT Jobs.
Front-end Web Developer
By 2050, the planet could be using twice as much electricity compared to today. Are you interested in contributing and helping to shape the future of the world's energy? If so, read on.
Fusion, the process that powers the Sun and Stars, is one of the most promising options for generating the cleaner, carbon-free energy that our world badly needs. UKAEA are at the forefront of realising energy from fusion, working with industry and research partners to deliver the ground-breaking developments that will underpin tomorrow's fusion power stations with the aim of bringing fusion electricity to the grid.
RACE (Remote Applications in Challenging Environments) is based at Culham, within UKAEA, specialising in remote handling and automated systems.
There has never been a more exciting time to join UKAEA. We are growing rapidly as an organisation. The jobholder will join the RACE Department. RACE has a large, growing team of Software Engineers dedicated to the development and integration of robotics systems. You will be part of a highly skilled team delivering cutting edge robotic solutions for remote handling applications in fusion and many other industries.
Who are we looking for?
We are seeking someone who can demonstrate a real enthusiasm for code and enjoys exploring new ways of doing things, demonstrating high standards and an eye for detail. You will need to be able to work equally well on your own and as part of a team.
The successful candidate will have excellent leadership skills and must have a strong, demonstrable understanding of up-to-date front-end development skills. If you match the specified criteria and are interested in joining our busy, talented and high-performing team, we would love to hear from you.
What will you be responsible for?
Main Responsibilities may include:
- Lead the specification, design and implementation of distributed, service-oriented web applications
- Be responsible for the Front-End Design of the external facing websites including functionality testing
- Work with a team of highly skilled developers to achieve quality outcomes
- Co-ordinate the implementation of the integration with robotic and intelligent systems
- Be the primary interface to internal and external collaborators on project work or areas of specific expertise
Essential qualifications, skills, experience and competence required
- Master's degree in software engineering or a related subject, or equivalent knowledge and experience
- Extensive industry experience working in front-end web development
- Experience with front-end frameworks (e.g. React, Angular, etc.)
- Experience with front-end testing frameworks (e.g. Jest, Mocha, etc.)
- Experience in user interface (UI) / user experience (UX) design
- A strong understanding of software engineering techniques and design principles including lifecycle, version control (e.g. Git, SVN, etc.), documentation, unit testing, and maintainability
- Good interpersonal and communication skills, and a proven ability to function as part of a team
- Appetite and ability to learn and apply new technologies
Desirable skills, experience and competence
- Demonstrable full lifecycle experience of front-end application development
- UI design and UX usability testing experience (wireframe and concept design)
- Knowledge and understanding of web security best practices
- Experience with multilingual user interfaces
- Knowledge of KnockoutJS
- Knowledge of back-end technologies (e.g. C#, SQL, etc)
- Experience of design and practical implementation of large Web Application architecture
- Experience with application hosting and containerisation technologies
- General interest in mobile robotics and engineering
- International travel to customers and collaborators' sites may be required
What we offer
- A competitive salary
- A culture committed to being fully inclusive, supported by a Being Inclusive Strategy and Inclusion Ambassadors
- An Employee Assistance Programme and trained Mental Health First Aiders, with a full calendar of health and wellbeing initiatives
- Flexible working options including family friendly policies
- Emergency leave (paid)
- 30.5 days' annual leave increased with length of service (including privilege days and 3 days between Christmas and New Year) plus bank holidays
- Wide range of career development opportunities (e.g professional registration, internal promotions, coaching and mentoring programme)
- Outstanding defined benefit pension scheme
- Annual corporate bonus scheme
- Relocation allowance (if eligible)
We welcome applications from under-represented groups, particularly from individuals from black and other ethnic minority backgrounds, including nationality and citizenship, people with disabilities, (visible and hidden) and women. The Executive team, with support from our EDI ‘Equality, Diversity and Inclusion' (EDI) partner and Inclusion Ambassadors, is actively promoting EDI and taking steps to increase the diversity of our people through reinforcing best practice in recruitment and selection, and revaluating approaches where it is clear we can remove barriers to success. We are easily accessible by car and are a 10-minute walk from Culham Railway Station in Oxfordshire.
Please be advised that this vacancy is due to close on 13/06/2022. We may close earlier than this date if large or sufficient numbers of applications are received.
Please note, all employees working at the UK Atomic Energy Authority will be required to complete an online Disclosure Certificate application as part of their clearance - The Disclosure & Barring Service (DBS) checks will show the details of all current criminal convictions (convictions considered unspent under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974) or will confirm that there are no such convictions.