Job Title: IT Manager/Senior IT specialist
Salary: £28,000 - £35,000 per annum dependant on experience
Job Type: Full Time, Permanent
Closing date for applications: 30 January 2022
Preliminary Interviews: w/c 7 February 2022
Final Interviews: w/c 14 February 2022
The National Extension College (NEC) is an educational charity based on the outskirts of Cambridge, which is part of the Open School Trust. NEC has provided tutor supported home study courses directly to learners for over 50 years, and also publishes learning resources for colleges and training providers and delivers blended learning programmes for public and private sector organisations. Our mission is simple: NEC seeks to widen learning opportunities for learners who want flexible delivery of excellent and innovative courses and our staff are inspired and motivated by this mission.
We help our students to open doors to their futures, through life-changing learning. In particular we offer educational opportunities and second-chance learning to people for whom attending regular classes at school or college would not be possible.
- To provide 1st to 3rd line support and telephony support.
- Administration of all systems, equipment and user set-up and configuration.
- Ensure key objectives and measures set by NEC are met, whilst allowing the organisation to transform and innovate. Playing a part in the strategic planning and programme development.
- Build relationships at all levels and be seen as the go-to person in relation to IT matters, to ensure problem resolution.
- Enhance and replace systems to meet the needs of the
- Coordinate partners and suppliers to ensure service levels are met
- Work with Deputy Director: Finance & Operations on IT planning, budgeting and forecasting in respect of spend associated with IT, including projects.
- Responsible for data capture, recording and storage.
- Coordinate and take responsibility for the service delivery relationship
- Identify and negotiate with key suppliers, responsible for relationships and establish and monitor service levels and contracts
- Lead on internal development and supplier development using software development lifecycle processes
- Plan and make proposals on the overall applications strategy and evolution of systems in line with the NEC business strategy, and eLearning, making best use of new technologies and techniques.
- Translate business needs into applications transformation and detailed solutions design for delivery by outsourced partners.
- Lead on or advise on all technical aspects of IT projects, setting priorities for teams and partners at a detailed level, ensuring best value from support and development budgets.
- Manage internal staff, both direct reports and other staff as part of project delivery, coordinating the tasks of staff and external partners.
- Maintain change control processes, mentor and support department managers.
- Establish, maintain and review business continuity and disaster recovery plans, processes and procedures for the organisation, ensuring appropriate resilience is in place for IT systems and infrastructure and carry out penetration testing.
- Be on call as required to resolve IT issues, and check the status of systems at the start of each working day
- Responsible for data protection and IT Security within the organisation
- Responsible for the integrity, backup, update and operation of all the servers, IT equipment , and telephone systems operated within the organisation
- Provide reports to management and Trustees of the organisation as requested
- Conduct ongoing reviews of significant IT developments in the online education sector
- 23 days annual holiday (plus 4 days Xmas shutdown)
- Group life scheme
- Employee discount on NEC courses
- Training and development opportunities
To apply, please submit your CV enclosing a cover letter setting out:
- What appeals to you about the role?
- The fundamental skills and experience you would be able to bring to the role?
- Current salary?
- Notice period (if relevant)?
- This is predominantly an office based role to allow support to the organisation. If you live outside of Cambridgeshire, would travel be an issue (where applicable)?
Candidates with experience of: IT Service Delivery Manager, Senior Service Delivery Coordinator, IT Support Manager, IT Quality Manager, Senior IT Support Engineer, IT Operations Manager, 3rd Line Support Engineer, IT Services Manager, IT Infrastructure Manager, Technical Service Manager, IT Manager, Service Provision Manager may also be considered for this role.