Job Title: Systems Support Technician
Location: Hulme, Manchester
Salary: £24,222 to £27,296 per annum
Job Type: Permanent, Full-time
Working Hours: Monday to Thursday 8.30am to 5.00pm and Friday 8.30am to 4.30pm
Closing Date: 10am on Monday 29th November 2021
Loreto College is located in Hulme a mile south of the centre of Manchester and very close to Manchester University and Manchester Metropolitan University, with excellent transport links. It is one of the largest Sixth Form Colleges in the country and rated as Outstanding at the last Ofsted Inspection.
We are looking for an enthusiastic, organised and technical minded individual.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- Infrastructure support & development: To support the Network Manager and IT Systems Administrator in the monitoring, support, documentation and future development of IT infrastructure (servers, wired & wireless network, IP telephone system, SAN(s), backups, security, group policy, scripting, etc.)
- Backup & Disaster Recovery: Monitor the backups systems (Veeam BR), investigate faults and reporting on them, develop the disaster recovery plan, and routinely test recovery plans.
- Network Monitoring: Work with the Network Manager and IT Systems Administrator in utilising appropriate technology and other network monitoring & vulnerability assessments, to monitor and produce regular network health reports.
- Windows Servers: Support the range of Windows Server systems as required running on Dell, HP and Vsphere virtual systems.
- Cloud Services: Support, monitor and administer various cloud services such as MS Azure, O365, email filtering etc.
- Security: Monitor and investigate security breaches across all systems such as Phishing alerts, Virus alerts etc. Ensure that all Comms rooms are secured and operating safely.
- Patch Management: using tools such as SCCM, WSUS to manage server & client patching, as well as patching and record keeping for other systems such as SAN firmware, VMware vSphere, HP Procurve network switches, BIOS updates, etc.
- Projects: Take on projects as instructed and be the named person for the project, document and deliver to a satisfactory conclusion.
- To carry out physical installation and patching of IT equipment, e.g. racking of servers, installation/replacement of network switches, replacement of failed drives in storage arrays, etc.
- To liaise with external suppliers and support providers to resolve issues as required. * To provide support to the IT Support team as required including internal and external college events.
- To provide written reports as necessary for the Network Manager / IT Systems Administrator.
- To be the named person responsible for elements of the college IT systems, ensuring these systems are kept up to date and properly documented.
- To keep abreast of relevant developments in the IT industry to ensure appropriate advice can be given, and that effective use is made of the systems the college uses.
The successful Candidate will have/ be:
- Experience of providing desktop, server and network support & development in a working environment
- High level of literacy/communication skills, capable of independently producing documentation written to a high, professional standard.
- Strong understanding of core technologies used at the college, including: Windows Server 2012/2016/2019, Exchange 2016/Office 365, Windows 10, Active Directory, IIS, DNS, DHCP, Group Policy, 802.1x, VMWare, Hyper-V
- Excellent fault finding and diagnostic skills
- Ability to work with other staff as a team
- Excellent organisational and administrative skills
- Ability to meet deadlines
- GCSE Maths and English A* - C or equivalent
- Attitude and Impact Desire to increase and improve your range of IT skills and depth of knowledge
- Excellent interpersonal skills, able to communicate to people of a wide range of technical and non-technical backgrounds. Maintain a polite, friendly and courteous manner at all times
- Enthusiastic and proactive approach with a willingness to help and the ability to remain calm in difficult situations
- Experience of working in an educational establishment
- Skills in other systems desired include: SCCM, Azure, Intune, WSUS, DFS, Sharepoint, Unix/Linux, Sophos, Fortinet, SAN Technologies, Hyper Converged Infrastructure, Windows Remote Desktop Services
- Relevant knowledge of server or desktop virtualisation technologies and supporting infrastructure
- Experience of writing and understanding Powershell & visual basic scripts
- Possession of one or more relevant IT qualifications (e.g. CompTIA A+/Network+, relevant Microsoft certifications, Cisco CCNA/CCNP)
- A relevant degree level qualification or equivalent experience
Please click on the APPLY button and CHECK YOUR EMAILS for an application form that must be completed.
Candidates with the relevant experience or job titles of: 3rd Line Technical Consultant, 3rd Line Support Technician, Support Engineer, 3rd IT Line Engineer, IT Engineer, Senior Technician, 3rd Line Senior Engineer, Senior IT Desktop Support, IT Support Engineer, Service Desk Engineer, IT Service Desk, Cloud Support, Network Engineer may also be considered for this role.
Contact Name: Loreto College