These are exciting times at Her Majesty's Court and Tribunals Service (HMCTS). As an agency of the MoJ, we provide the supporting administration for the judiciary across England and Wales. Within that portfolio, Digital and Technology Services (DTS) has a clear ambition to create an organisational culture where diverse and inclusive multi-disciplinary teams bring together in-house digital, data and technology specialists to build capability, work smarter and more efficiently.
We're building better justice for everyone by harnessing technology, curiosity and our burning mission to make a momentous impact. You have the chance to influence that change and own your mark.
With the scale and size of transformation, you'll get exposure to bigger opportunities and new ways of learning that will push your potential. It's a massive challenge doing career defining work, but we also embrace your
individuality and life outside of work. So through flexible working we'll trust you to shape the future in a way that suits you.
Sound like a challenge you're up for?
The Test Manager will be responsible for execution of the strategic direction set by the Head of Test for test management and quality assurance, implementing standards and processes, managing the team day-to-day across a broad portfolio of digital products and services.
You will have a proven ability to successfully manage a Quality Assurance / Test Management function which supports the delivery of large software development projects/programmes ultimately responsible for ~50 team members. This is a high-impact role initially where you will be building a team of Automation Testers. Our Test Manager is our Quality Assurance leader and must demonstrate the ability and experience establishing / driving a QA function, through a solid coaching background. As well as demonstrating leadership qualities in building new teams through hiring of FTE's but also using Managed Services Suppliers (where required).
As Test Manager, you will be responsible for the testing of all end to end projects for all jurisdictions. You will be working closely with cross functional squads / tribes to ensure successful delivery of products. You will also be responsible for building and maintaining teams, ensuring they are motivated, collaborating and working well; identifying obstacles and helping the team to overcome them. You will have the ability to focus the team on what is most important to the delivery of products and services and encourage and facilitate continuous improvement of the delivery team.
What will you be doing?
- Support the Head of Test in Building a Quality Assurance / Test Management function focused on a specific Jurisdiction. Taking on the products development by REFORM and ensuring Citizen services are quality assured before release (~20 Test Engineers)
- Responsible for Test Management of the Digital Products delivered by the Reform Programme (~30 Digital Products)
- Responsible for the execution of end-to-end testing strategy including both manual and automated testing approaches, working at the tribe level with Product Owners and Developers through the entire development lifecycle to a product release.
- Leading the QA / Test resources within the squads (~20 resources) but within a Matrix Management environment.
- Establish QA performance reviews (Weekly) and chair Montly review Boards
- Resonsible for ensuring the defined QA strategy is adhered to in all development projects.
- Provide leadership and technical expertise within Test Automation, Testing Methodologies, Testing Processes, Tools and Techniques and Quality Assurance across the teams.
- Responsible for the test automation projects, mentor, and provide leadership to the QA team.
- Responsible for identification of oppertunties on continuous QA improvements including usage of appropriate testing tools, test techniques, test automation and team sizing.
- Responbile for enforcing technical and testing standards.
- Within a Jurisdiction be responsible for monitoring of all the QA activities, test results, leaked defects, root cause analysis and identifying areas of improvement. Implement steps required to improve the processes.
What are we looking for?
- Drives teams and sets the pace, ensuring teams are working towards delivery commitments.
- Able to build successful teams and understand team styles and how people work together.
- Able to maintain, influence and motivate a team.
- Able to give and receive feedback, facilitating the feedback loop.
- Ensures the health of the team and can facilitate conflict resolution, accelerating team performance.
- Able to ensure the team is transparent and that the work is understood externally.
- Able to create an open and collaborative environment to work in, be flexible, adaptable and have a willingness to learn.
- Able to recognise how people best work together, facilitating the best team makeup depending on the situation.
- Able to help teams maintain a focus on delivery whilst being aware of the importance of professional development.
- Coaching teams to adopt a quality culture and mindset
- Developing test professions, helping colleagues to shape career paths and leading discussions about better practice and tooling
- Prior team management experience having operated as a team leader managing and supporting the work of junior grades
- Used your knowledge to give expert advice to more senior grades
What can we offer you?
- A generous pension scheme on average of up to 27%!
- 25 days leave, plus 8 bank holidays, plus 1 privilege day usually taken around the Queens' birthday
- Flexible working; whether it's working from home or remotely, working part-time, job sharing, or working compressed hours, we have people doing it and are happy to discuss options with you
- Great maternity, adoption, and shared parental leave, with up to 26 weeks leave at full pay, 13 weeks with partial pay, and 13 weeks further leave. And maternity support/paternity leave at full pay for 2 weeks, too!
- Bike loans and secure bike parking (subject to availability and location)
- Season ticket loans, childcare vouchers, and eye-care vouchers.
- Up to 5 days paid leave per year for voluntary work you may wish to undertake
- We also currently have employee-run networks for colleagues of minority ethnic origin, employees with disabilities, those with caring responsibilities, women employees, and lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender employees with which you will eligible to join
We are passionate about career development and in order to help support this, we offer a number of training and development platforms that employees will have access to. Working with your manager, you will be given the support and time required to complete agreed courses, as part of your personal development plan.
- Pluralsight - Over 7000 video training courses created by over 1400 subject-matter experts, covering a wide range of software development related skills.
- Microsoft Enterprise Skills Initiative - a range of Azure focused courses that can lead to Microsoft Certification.
- Civil Service Learning - a wide variety of online training to help support your role as a Civil Servant.