These are exciting times at Her Majesty's Court and Tribunals Service (HMCTS). As an agency of the MoJ, we provide the supporting administration for the judiciary across England and Wales. Within that portfolio, Digital and Technology Services (DTS) has a clear ambition to create an organisational culture where diverse and inclusive multi-disciplinary teams bring together in-house digital, data and technology specialists to build capability, work smarter and more efficiently.
We're building better justice for everyone by harnessing technology, curiosity and our burning mission to make a momentous impact. You have the chance to influence that change and own your mark.
With the scale and size of transformation, you'll get exposure to bigger opportunities and new ways of learning that will push your potential. It's a massive challenge doing career defining work, but we also embrace your
individuality and life outside of work. So through flexible working we'll trust you to shape the future in a way that suits you.
Sound like a challenge you're up for?
As a Java Developer, you will work with a wide range of stakeholders such as user researchers, product managers, designers, business analysts, content specialists, delivery managers and digital architects, all of whom share a vision for making government better through smarter use of technology.
We currently have over 200 experienced developers across MoJ and its agencies who make up the broader software engineering community. You will able to learn from others, share your knowledge and take part in informal support networks with your peers.
The Development Squad you are placed on will be agreed closer to your start date, but examples of products can be found in our github repositories:
- We rely heavily on
- Java to write our backend services
- js and Angular to write our frontend services
- Jenkins for deployment
- Dynatrace for application monitoring
- Kubernetes and Docker to run our services
- Azure for most of our infrastructure
- Terraform and scripting (python, bash etc.) for managing it
- PostgreSQL and Redis as our databases
- UK Design System for our web interfaces
- Macs to do all of the above
- We're happy to help you learn our tech stack once you are part of our team.
What will you be doing?
- Write, amend, refactor and document code to build moderately complex programs/scripts. Adhere to internal process and procedures and advising others which software development standards/processes/procedures apply.
- Constantly seek to learn and further develop your skills as required for your role. Monitor changes in the technology on which we rely and alert on any issues or trends affecting our software. Adhere to industry's best practices, produce well-engineered modern products and guide others in doing so.
- Use security controls to build secure products and engineer to mitigate security threats. Handle information with confidentiality and integrity, work with others to ensure compliance and information assurance. Contribute to identifying risks and threats.
- Support and maintain software as required, including in the live environment. Use modern tools to effectively and thoroughly identify and troubleshoot faults. Package and deploy software built. Some activities may be outside the core office hours (in-line with the organisation's policy for OOH).
What are we looking for?
- Experience in Java for development of enterprise and public facing applications
- Experience in working with structured data such as XML and JSON
- Working knowledge of at least one RDBMS (for example PostgreSQL, SQL Server, MySQL, Oracle)
- Working knowledge in a range of technologies and libraries used in an enterprise, such as logging and monitoring, ORM, authentication/authorisation, cloud hosting environments, systems integration, source control, package management etc.
- An understanding of common security issues and how to mitigate them
- You champion software maintenance, clean code and practices that make change easy
- You hold yourself and others to a high standard
- You care about making usable experiences, with a good understanding of front-end development concerns
- You thrive when you work as part of a team that abides by the spirit of the manifesto of agile software development
- You solve problems in a systematic way
- You enjoy learning and helping others
What can we offer you?
- A generous pension scheme on average of up to 27%!
- 25 days leave, plus 8 bank holidays, plus 1 privilege day usually taken around the Queens' birthday
- Flexible working; whether it's working from home or remotely, working part-time, job sharing, or working compressed hours, we have people doing it and are happy to discuss options with you
- Great maternity, adoption, and shared parental leave, with up to 26 weeks leave at full pay, 13 weeks with partial pay, and 13 weeks further leave. And maternity support/paternity leave at full pay for 2 weeks, too!
- Bike loans and secure bike parking (subject to availability and location)
- Season ticket loans, childcare vouchers, and eye-care vouchers.
- Up to 5 days paid leave per year for voluntary work you may wish to undertake
- We also currently have employee-run networks for colleagues of minority ethnic origin, employees with disabilities, those with caring responsibilities, women employees, and lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender employees with which you will eligible to join
We are passionate about career development and in order to help support this, we offer a number of training and development platforms that employees will have access to. Working with your manager, you will be given the support and time required to complete agreed courses, as part of your personal development plan.
- Pluralsight - Over 7000 video training courses created by over 1400 subject-matter experts, covering a wide range of software development related skills.
- Microsoft Enterprise Skills Initiative - a range of Azure focused courses that can lead to Microsoft Certification.
- Civil Service Learning - a wide variety of online training to help support your role as a Civil Servant.
Contact Name: Her Majesty’s Court and Tribunals Service (HMCTS)