|Recruiter:||Riverford Organic Farmers|
|Listed on:||2nd September|
|Location:||Devon or Remote working|
Every week, Riverford delivers organic food to around 90,000 homes and businesses across the UK. This takes loads of brilliant people, from growers to IT experts, and more besides!
We're a friendly, forward-thinking bunch, and our three core values - Stronger Together, Do Things Well and Independence - run through everything we do. We celebrate diversity, valuing, supporting and developing the whole person as an equal opportunities' employer.
In 2018, Riverford became employee owned. Working here makes you a ‘co-owner', our way of saying ‘employee'. It's not just a name - every co-owner can play a part in shaping Riverford. Success means much more than just profits; we want this to be a place people enjoy coming to work, and a business our co-owners feel proud of. In 2021, we were delighted to be awarded two-star Best Companies accreditation, recognising Riverford as an ‘outstanding' place to work.
We're also proud to be a B Corp - a certification for ethical businesses who work not just for profit, but also to benefit people and the planet.
What we expect from a Senior Software Engineer
As a senior software engineer and co-owner, you will be a key member of our team leading the development of both customer-facing and back-office software. Our wide variety of projects range from custom apps and websites, to back-office systems and third-party integrations.
You will take a considered approach to development, and be responsible for software excellence.
We expect candidates to be confident in analysing requirements, talking to users and stakeholders to understand what they need, and to take cost/benefit into consideration when making decisions.
We expect that you will have a good understanding of computer science fundamentals - and be able to identify when prior work has already been done on a problem. You will be capable of debugging and correcting defects, as well as testing to ensure that defects are less likely.
We work in an agile manner, releasing often. So good continuous integration practices and automated testing is a must.
You are committed to continual improvement, knowing that there are always changes that can make yourself, your team, the department, and Riverford more effective. You work with your team to use retrospectives and other mechanisms to determine actions for improvement and effect change.
You care about quality, knowing that it is everyone's responsibility. You work with your team to build software to the team's agreed standard of quality, ensuring that testing happens throughout development.
You should feel comfortable working with and mentoring others, and improving quality through considerate, respectful code review.
Either on-site or remote working are equally valid for this role. Remote working will require a minimum of 5 days on site in Wash Barn, Devon every two months once the pandemic restrictions have ended. The time on site would correspond with our other remote workers so that we can spend time building our team as well as our software.
For those who would wish to relocate closer to our offices in South Devon, a relocation package is available.
Skills and experience
We are less concerned about specifics and years of experience than we are about capability, ambition, and cultural fit. If there's something on our list which is out of your comfort zone, that's fine - but expect us to expect you to pick it up and run with it should you join us! That said, here are our ideal skills for this role:
• Clojure experience is highly desirable, other JVM languages are also desirable.
• Expert understanding of the JVM, its library ecosystem and tooling.
• Strong understanding of SQL Databases. At Riverford we use MySQL and SQL Server.
• Computer science fundamentals, data structures, time, and space complexity.
• Architecture fundamentals able to reduce complexity, understand concurrency, understand distribution.
• Automated testing experience. We automate integration, acceptance, and unit tests. We use selenium and appium to test our UIs.
• Version control experience, we use git.
• AWS experience is highly desirable, we host on AWS and leverage many of its services. Familiarity in writing tooling against AWS APIs is desirable.
• You'll be very capable of solving problems and communicating them to both technical and non-technical people.
• You have a good amount of experience in commercial software development, working with teams, full stack development and integrating disparate systems.
• You will have a history of delivering architectural decisions on the projects you have worked on and will be comfortable describing the real business value behind those decisions.
Salary up to £65,000 per annum d.o.e.
Riverford is a beautiful place to work, with lots of great people - and other benefits too.
• We offer 10% training time every week helping you to grow
• 33 days holiday pro rata (including bank holidays)
• Generous company pension scheme
• Annual profit share; 10% of all our profits are split equally between all co-owners
• 25% off everything we sell
• Heavily discounted organic breakfasts and lunches, home-cooked by our canteen chefs, at our two biggest sites
• Free organic fruit and veg!
• Enhanced maternity / paternity pay (plus six months of free veg boxes)
• An annual allowance to spend on Riverford branded clothing
• Lots of free co-owner events, including two massive parties a year
• Flexible working options
• Life assurance cover
Contact Name: Riverford Organic Farmers
Job ID: 2973926