Service Desk Engineer
Duration: 3 month initially
IR35 Status: Outside IR35
The Service Desk Engineer will work in the IS Operations team and will be responsible for providing users with remote and desk side technical support across all facilities.
- To troubleshoot Service Desk tickets within service level targets to ensure a high level of customer service is provided.
- To have extensive knowledge of Windows 10 O/S and Office 365 suite to be able to support a rollout of this technology and support as a new IS Service in the longer term.
- To escalate tickets to the Infrastructure team or third parties such as external support or maintenance companies, as appropriate, to ensure the timely resolution of calls.
- To produce technical documentation for use within the department and user guides for the business to ensure the effective use of systems.
- To provide telephone support answering, logging and prioritising Service Desk tickets to ensure that the service level targets are met.
- To take responsibility for leading or providing technical assistance on projects when required.
- To deputise for the IS Team Leader when the Team Leader is out of the office, as part of succession planning.
- To complete daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly and ad hoc administrative tasks to ensure the Service Desk runs efficiently.
- To provide support for the Windows network, desktop applications (including Microsoft Office, Avaya telephone system, Android, Apple, VPN, Citrix, Exchange email) and other IS systems.
- To carry out day-to-day administration of the Windows infrastructure and to resolve technical problems as appropriate.
- To produce management information and statistics for systems and services to ensure that they are running efficiently and performance improvements can be identified.
- To provide training, mentoring and support for team colleagues either directly or through the knowledge base to ensure maximum knowledge distribution within the team.
- To comply fully with the Data Protection Act, other relevant legislation and policies and procedures to ensure confidentiality and standards are maintained at all times.
- Attend meetings with internal clients and external companies representing the department.
Key Skills and Experience
- A strong background working in a Service Desk / IS environment troubleshooting and providing technical support, ensuring that service level agreements are met.
- The ability to effectively support and administer Microsoft systems and environments (Windows 7, Windows 10, Office 2010, Skype for Business, Office 365, Active Directory, and Exchange server), knowledge of Video conference equipment (Polycom), Exam Management systems/software and knowledge of Ivanti / LanDesk would be advantageous.
- To be able to follow Service Desk, Problem, Incident and Change control processes and procedures.
- To have experience and/or knowledge to working in Prince2, ITIL and Agile environments.
- To have a good understanding of the Data Protection Act and the importance of maintaining confidentiality at all times.
- The ability to rapidly establish credibility with customers and colleagues by quickly identifying the nature of a Service Desk enquiry and taking appropriate steps to respond to it.
- The ability to demonstrate excellent customer service skills including responding positively and creatively to the needs of others whilst working to service standards and departmental policy.
- Excellent interpersonal skills including the ability to deal with customers in a polite, friendly and calm manner and diffuse difficult situations with appropriate sensitivity and empathy.
- The ability to work alone, using initiative, and to work constructively as a member of a team supporting others.
- The ability to prioritise Service Desk tickets taking into account workload, resources and other priorities.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills to enable liaison with a wide range of people including doctors, colleagues and external stakeholders such as third party contractors.
- An excellent phone manner, including the ability to quickly understand information over the phone and deliver a positive and helpful customer service experience.