Technical Lead - Infrastructure and Operations
£37418 - £41159
This job has now expired please search on the home page to find live IT Jobs.
Our reward packageAs our Technical Lead - Infrastructure and Operations , the starting salary will be £37418.00 with opportunities to progress to £41159.00 over time. New joiners to the Met Office will start on the salary band minima.This role attracts a market forces supplement of £2,250 per annum paid quarterly, pro-rated from the date of taking up the appointment to 31 March 2022 - this scheme is currently under review.Our total reward package is potentially worth up to £55216.00 per annum, which includes basic salary, market forces supplement, potential corporate bonus, employer pension contributions.
We also offer:
- Outstanding Civil Service Pension
- Flexible hours and homeworking
- Annual Leave starting at 27.5 days (plus Bank Holidays) rising to 32.5 days (plus Bank Holidays) after 5 years
- Option to buy or sell up to 5 days per year of annual leave
- Cycle to work scheme for the purchase of a bicycle and equipment for healthy, low carbon travel
- Access to discounted shopping on a range of retail, leisure and lifestyle categoriesWho we areThe weather. It impacts all of us, all the time. But for some people, those impacts can mean real suffering. Landslides, floods, snowfall, and other extreme weather events can cost lives. At the Met Office, we can't control the weather, but we can try to forecast these life changing events and help to reduce the impacts by allowing people time to prepare. We're great at doing this already, but we can be better, and that's why we need your help. The UK Government has invested heavily in Met Office IT, with a £1.2B investment in a new supercomputer capability that will help us to increase our forecasting capability, but IT is only as good as the teams that can exploit it.We're looking for Technical Leads to work with us to create outcomes from this investment, people who want to make a difference to the world we live in, who want to save lives and livelihoods across the world, not just the UK. A career at the Met Office opens a wealth of opportunities to not only work with world class partners, such as Microsoft, ESRI, Amazon and many others, but also to challenge them to create solutions for Met Office problems. We believe that well supported teams deliver the most effective outcomes and that's why you will enjoy the benefits of a flexible working day, aligned as much as possible around you and your lifestyle.We're globally connected and as a Met Office Technical Lead you can expect to be able to attend and speak at conferences and events in the UK and abroad. Events such as MetTech in Switzerland, AWS re-Invent in Las Vegas and AMS in Boston all of which will allow you to grow your own profile and network, whilst also forming critical relationships between the Met Office and global IT leaders.Our values - it's who we are:We're a force for goodWe're experts by natureWe live and breathe itWe're better togetherWe keep evolvingWe're the Met Office, come and join us and help us to make a difference.Job PurposeAs a Met Office Technical Lead, you will lead on technical delivery and operation of a small set of key underpinning systems and services.You will:Guide the ways in which your team worksact as a technical owner, influence medium-to-long term strategies for your systems/servicesBe involved in identifying appropriate technology and approachesContribute to the wider Met Office technical communityProvide technical leadership, coach, and mentor your teamPromote knowledge sharing and adoption of good practiceEssential Qualifications, Skills & AbilitiesOperations and Development - Experience of supporting the development and operation of systems and services through tools, environments, and practices
Communication and Influence - Experience communicating technical concepts, problems and solutions to architects, developers, customers and other stakeholders
Technical problem solving - Deep technical knowledge used to solve complex technical problems
Team leadership - Experience of leading and mentoring across geographically dispersed environments, ensuring work is done to the highest quality
Specialism - At least one of the following:
Working knowledge of Discovery, Service Mapping, and data models within a CMDB tool, such as ServiceNow OR,Experience of Microsoft O365 core product set and experience in both Microsoft Server and Windows 10 client Management.Integration of SaaS services, such as API Management and E-Commerce solutions.How to apply and additional informationTo apply, please click on the link below and attach the most recent version of your CV, along with a cover letter which briefly states your experience against each essential and desirable criteria.
Closing date 01/08/2021 with interviews commencing from 16/08/2021 . We update all applicants once the vacancy has closed and applications have been reviewed. At present, all interviews are taking place remotely via Microsoft Teams.We are an equal opportunities employer and we welcome applications from those with all protected characteristics. We recognise that Great Minds Don't Think Alike and are committed to being a more diverse and inclusive organisation. We are a Disability Confident, Mindful Employer and we hold an Athena Swan Bronze award for our work on gender equality. We apply the Civil Service Code to ensure that everyone is recruited on merit, fairness, and open competition.
If you are considering applying and need assistance to do so, please contact us via . You can request adjustments either within our application form or via email.
We offer disabled applicants the option of requesting their application is considered under the Guaranteed Interview Scheme. To be invited to interview/assessment under this scheme, your application must meet the minimum criteria for the role. Should you be offered an interview, please be aware there may be a selection exercise which could include a presentation, written test or a scenario-based activity.
We can only accept applications from those eligible to live and work in the UK - please refer to GOV.UK for information. Our roles sometimes require higher level Security Clearance, which generally requires living in the UK for at least three out of the last five years, but applicants not meeting this criteria may be considered.