Why apply for this role?
As a Back End Developer you'll make sure that our systems work behind the scenes. It will be down to you to integrate the application with all required systems and services, providing a clean and easy to use API.
Although your work is usually hidden from the user, it's absolutely crucial as you'll be responsible for application functionality, performance and scalability. So you'll need to know how to write clean modern APIs, integrate them with legacy systems and work with databases.
What you'll be doing
- Designing and developing the business logic and backend systems of the product
- Working closely with frontend developers to design and develop functional, performing and complete APIs
- Deciphering existing companies software systems and being able to hook in application to applicable data sources
- Writing both unit and integration tests, and developing automation tools for daily tasks
- Developing high quality, well documented, and efficient code
- Challenging ideas and opinions to avoid pitfalls and inefficient solutions
What we're looking for
- Experience as a backend developer in common languages and frameworks (Java Spring Boot, NodeJS), functional programming in Scala
- Deep knowledge of Object-Oriented programing and engineering principles like SOLID
- Significant experience writing and utilising autonomous services oriented RESTful API services and performance tuning largescale apps
- Experience with database systems, with knowledge of SQL and NoSQL stores (such as MySQL, Oracle, MongoDB, Couchbase)
- Ability to write effective unit, integration, and API tests
What else you need to know
Given the recent impact of the Coronavirus outbreak we will be conducting all interviews via telephone or video-conference where possible.
How we'll reward you
As well as a competitive salary, you'll enjoy a benefits package that you can tailor to your needs.
- Eligible for a discretionary performance-related annual bonus
- Pension with generous contributions of up to 12.5% from Santander, depending on your own contribution and length of employment with us
- 27 days' holiday plus bank holidays, with the option to purchase up to 5 contractual days per year
- Voluntary healthcare benefits at discounted rates such as private medical insurance, dental insurance, healthcare cash plan and health assessments
- Benefits supporting you and your family, such as death-in-service benefit, income protection, and voluntary life assurance and critical illness cover
- 24/7 access to an online employee discount platform
- Share in Santander's success by investing in our Sharesave and Partnership shares plans
- Support your favourite causes through charitable giving and our community partnerships
Why Santander? It doesn't stop there. You'll also be part of a vibrant organisation that's been reinventing itself for more than 160 years. One that invests millions of pounds in training its people every year. One that helps more than 2 million people every year with social programmes.
Equal OpportunitiesFor more information on our commitment to equal opportunities, please visit our diversity page. If this sounds like a role you're interested in, then please apply on the link below.
- Due to high volume of applications we may need to close this role earlier than the advertised date, so recommend submitting an application as soon as possible.
What to do next
- Santander are an equal opportunities employer. When we talk about diversity, we don't just want to pay lip service. Our customers come from a wide range of backgrounds, and so do our people. It's important to us that we create an inclusive culture where everyone counts, and we particularly welcome applications from different underrepresented groups.
- We call it #TheSantanderEffect.
- At Santander, with only a small action or a simple idea, you can achieve great things. You can improve the daily life of more than 140 million people. You can collaborate with a friendly team of more than 200,000 employees.
- For more information about our wide range of benefits and family friend policies visit our website.
Contact Name: Santander