We're looking for a passionate, visionary Tech Lead to deliver the M&S Customer Data Event platform. Your primary focus will be on building, expanding and optimising our Real Time data pipelines, Data Quality and Single Customer View.
Working within the software engineering teams, you'll be developing a digital platform that surprises and delights millions of M&S customers, while empowering thousands of our colleagues to do the same. It's an exciting time, as you'll be helping us to redefine ourselves as an engineering-led organization - consisting of some of the best engineering talent anywhere in the UK.
From building a world-class digital platform using a diverse and exciting tech stack, to upping your skills through the most creative means, such as our in-house hackathons - you'll feel inspired to do the best work of your career.
Upgrade to M&OS
We have an empowered engineering mindset here - we call it M&OS. We pride ourselves on being a company that puts digital first, inspires engineers to share and develop in the most agile fashion, and invests in revolutionising the future of retail. When you aren't upping your skills by taking part in one of our hackathons, you're discovering ways to do the best work of your career. It's a more exciting way to operate.
Customer Data Event Platform team is one of the most strategic for M&S to drive Customer Personalisation and Offers while building Single Customer View. You'll spend most of your time shaping the future of our data domain. Helping us build our data engineering capabilities, growing our technologies and influencing how we think about data, data quality and reliability across the business.
We're a friendly, passionate and humble team - everyone has a voice and is encouraged to talk straight and contribute ideas. You'll learn, grow, take true ownership of your work and help us solve the industry's most exciting problems.
What you'll do
- Fully hands-on technical driver for all engineering and development responsibilities within Customer Data Event Platform.
- Lead the build of high-quality and reliable software through proficiency in design patterns, algorithms, data structures and high degree of automation in the cloud software design.
- Coach teams regularly on system design, through code reviews and data analysis
- Take prime responsibility of Security of Data, Infrastructure and Applications. Work with InfoSec to define security standards.
- Collaborate closely with partners to align business, product and technical priorities. Set the technical direction and demonstrate active responsibility for the entire portfolio's objectives
- Drive the delivery of the engineering roadmap and contribute to product planning with an agile focus
- Support and contribute to M&S Engineering talent strategy, new starter onboarding and team composition planning
- Demonstrate responsibility for the entire team's work and objectives
- Promote technology, values and ways of working (Championing Tech Blogs, Tech-talks and Hackweeks) in Tech space.
- Support the technical platform out of hours as a member of the support rota
- Harmonise our teams, fellowships and orchestras with a focus on positive momentum and demonstrable value
- Coach, mentor engineers and lead by example on all aspects of software engineering (line management)
- Take responsibility for initiatives to take M&S Software Engineering to the next level, always willing to challenge the status quo
- Orchestrate a culture of collaboration and continuous improvement across the organisation to ensure scalability and long-term efficiency
- Proactively seek relevant external insight, trends and innovations to ensure M&S remains best in class
- Engage in discovery sessions and spikes, working with both the architectural, platform and software engineering teams to determine if we should roll out new capabilities, and how this can be done in a repeatable and scalable manner.
Key Skills Required (Tech and Interpersonal)
- Strong experience in languages such as Python, Spark, Graphql and Java.
- Strong experience in designing/building scalable, extensible enterprise data architecture and data pipelines using Kafka Stream.
- Experience with data and domain modelling, domain driven design, data standards and data architectures (tabular, graph, document, multi-model)
- A good understanding of industry best-practice around standards, quality and continuous improvement in the field of data engineering
- Experience in conducting large scale enterprise batch and real-time processing from varying sources like CDP, Data Factory, Data Warehouse, etc.
- Experience with event driven microservice architecture, domain driven design, enterprise integration patterns and event sourcing.
- Experience in the use of machine learning models to transform and prepare data within the data pipeline, including feature engineering, versioning and packaging, model training and distribution.
- Shown experience in quality assuring data programmes, including non-functional testing and performance tuning
- Specialist understanding of software architecture and design principles
- Experience with setting up CI/CD pipelines using Github Actions, Azure Ops, Jenkins, or Concourse
- Significant professional experience with Microsoft Azure and Devops Culture
- Experience using services used container orchestration platforms, such as Kubernetes and Docker.
- Experience with SQL and NoSQL Databases.
- Proven track record to speak authoritatively about platform architecture, system design, and implementation details to senior technical partners.
- Exposure to Server-side A/B testing using frameworks like Adobe Target and Monetate will be beneficial.
- Experience in configuring and designing logging, supervising and dashboarding using New Relic or similar tools.
- In depth knowledge of DHCP, DNS, SSH, HTTPS, SNMP, SMTP, Syslog, and TCP/IP (IPv4 and IPV6)
- Experience working in Agile Environment (using Scrum, Kanban or SAFE).
- Excellent people management, interpersonal, analytical and problem-solving skills
- Experienced tech blogger, public speaker and open-source contributor
- Significant track record of strategic and innovative thinking.
- Ability to lead engineers and technical partners to a desired outcome, without prescribing it
Ready to upgrade to M&OS and expose yourself to an exciting new mix of data capabilities while working across our diverse tech stack? Join us in transforming an entire industry on our mission to become the world's most intuitive digital retailer.
Contact Name: M&S