The role holder will work across all areas of the business to facilitate and introduce high quality data and technological solutions to issues which cause barriers for end users leading to operational ineffectiveness.
You will work collaboratively with users to tease out operational data issues which prevent colleagues doing their jobs to the best of their abilities. Using excellent interpersonal skills, you will have good conversations and undertake systematic analysis to precisely identify and interpret data barriers. You will then develop proposals to remove obstacles. This will include identifying data analysis, supporting with data migration, optimization, manipulating large data sets and creating views and stored procedures for project work. You will be expected to work to the project timescales, scope and budget that has been agreed.
The role holder will need to be able to blend a number of project methodologies including Lean Systems Thinking and Prince 2 to provide bespoke plans and data appropriate to customer need. This will include the identification of single loop changes, double loop changes and measures for these projects to ensure their successful conclusion. You will also be required to assess the priority of a number of projects and provide input into overall program management strategies.
As a valued member of the Business Systems Team, you will take the lead on assigned projects of all sizes, complexity and duration, potentially running simultaneous projects. You will therefore need to organise competing priorities and be required to resolve conflicting commitments through highly developed interpersonal skills. You will work closely with Tech Service Desk and Network colleagues to ensure the seamless transition of projects. You will then be required to assess and report on the impact of any introduced changes.
You will also liaise with and develop relationships with existing suppliers and consultants, applying sensible vendor management arrangements to ensure value for money. You will take a keen interest in researching and learning developing technologies from leading edge suppliers which move the technological blueprint forward.
The role will be customer centric, requiring good influencing skills with a solid base of technical knowledge and capability. The role holder will be instrumental in providing new customer based solutions and will work to uphold the high reputation and standards of the Tech Team with customers at all times.
Purpose of Role
Business Change Activities
- Work with the business to identify important questions and answer them with data.
- Proactively engage with business and Tech colleagues to maintain a portfolio of Tech application services which support their business purpose and develop data solutions to address any shortfalls as required.
- Establish and lead business information and management information initiatives, for example Qlikview and work diligently to generate "buy in" to projects from stakeholder groups and information "champions".
- Understand the usage of existing reports and understand what decisions stakeholders are trying to make with them
- Identify, evaluate and implement external services and tools to support data validation and cleansing
- Undertake application investigation activities including the Interpretation of application code tables and queries and how these interrelate to each other using SQL management studio skills and running SQL queries to meet customer management and business information requirements.
- Undertake the reading of stored procedures and server logs utlising xml and html code and scrutinise code prepared as a result of specified development plans.
- Monitor the performance of data and measures, providing recommendations for improvements to Business Systems Manager and Heads of relevant internal customer departments.
- Create data dashboards, graphs and visualisations keeping in mind your audience.
- Provide additional support for line-of-business applications (housing, customer management, mobiles applications, and business information); where resolution cannot be achieved by Tech Service Desk analysts at the initial point of contact.
- Keep up to date with legislative changes as required and proactively assess the impact costs and timescales to changes required for line of business applications.
- Have a broad understanding of how applications perform within the broader network infrastructure, for example how Virtual Machines work and how applications compatibility and configuration adjustments can be made.
- Provide input and insight to data architecture activities designed to improve the quality and accuracy of data and have a good understanding of the compliance activities required to meet statutory requirements imposed by DPA and GDPR.
- You will work across business departments, suppliers, Infrastructure and support teams to provide end to end data solutions appropriate to user need and issues.
- Undertake business presentations to wide ranging audiences as appropriate to gather or disseminate data and measures as required.
- Organise, prepare and lead supporting training events with internal customer groups as required to support the data and measures.
- Encourage creative thinking and provide innovation to initiatives and concepts to improve current and future service delivery.
- Have an understanding of integration strategies between applications and knowledge of application programming interfaces sufficient to define specifications for development.
- Undertake developments in accordance with GDPR, Cyber Security, Data Protection and complete Data Protection Impact Assessments (DPIA) for appropriate software developments.
- Contribute to the successful administration of the Coastal HA Project Management framework and play an active part in developing improvement initiatives and techniques.
- Assist in identifying areas that require ‘Lean Systems Thinking' representing the Tech Department.
- Coordinate and design user acceptance testing (UAT) processes for specific data measures, and work with stakeholders and project managers to ensure new systems and services meet requirements defined in business requirements specifications (BRS).
- Support business requirements through engagement with suppliers and apply sensible negotiation skills to influence and shape successful vendor management outcomes.
- Ensure commitment and application to continuing professional development and actively and constructively contribute to appraisals and one to ones.
- Keep up to date with emerging technologies, particularly within the sector, for example Microsoft Office 365 and Microsoft Dynamics and work with appropriate vendors to understand and influence their development roadmaps, where appropriate.
Data Analyst Person Specification
- Experience in supporting Microsoft desktop technologies, including SQL Management Studio, Word, Excel PowerPoint
- Experience in Vendor Management
- Experience in data visualisation
- Experience of collaborating with system and process users (individuals and groups) including the lead of workshops
- Experience of data manipulation with the ability to write scripts
- Experience in quality assurance, validation and data linkage abilities
- Experience in collaborating with customers and BAs to create credible business cases
- Experience in documenting business processes
- Experience of working within a Defined Project Management Framework
- Experience in developing business information reporting software, ideally Qlikview & Power BI
- Experience of working with tenant facing housing management systems
- Experience of developments against the context of GDPR and Data Protection legislation
- Experience in working in an ITIL-based service support operation
- Experience of the Vanguard method of Lean reviews
- Experience of developing performance metrics and measures
Skills and knowledge
- Keen attention to accuracy and detail
- Extremely competent in the support of customer-facing information technology
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills.
- Knowledge of MS Office 2007, 2010, 2013
- Knowledge of Data Protection legislation ideally Data Protection Act 2018 and GDPR
- Project Management Experience, ideally Prince 2 or Agile
- Knowledge of SQL and XML coding
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office 2016 and or Office 365
- Professional attitude to work and manner
- Keen attention to accuracy and detail
- A positive outlook and enjoy helping others
- Ability to remain calm under pressure to meet deadlines
- Ability to correctly and accurately finish assigned tasks
- Able to sustain good working relationships
- A receptive and responsive approach to change and open to new ways of doing things
- Willing to seek ways to improve the way work is done
- A desire to constantly learn and update knowledge
- Good influencing and persuasion skills
- An ability to quickly and effectively get to the root of a problem and offer solutions
- Knowledge of Application Programming Interface technologies
- Knowledge of Microsoft Dynamics
- Knowledge of ITIL Frameworks
- Knowledge of Windows10 Operating system
Education & Qualifications
- Microsoft MSCE
- ITIL Foundation
- Full and valid driving licence