This job has now expired please search on the home page to find live IT Jobs.
Type of Employment: Permanent
Main purpose for the job
Develop, support, and maintain their core business systems to help improve efficiency, meet legal and compliance requirements, whilst aiding the business in its growth and meeting the needs of its customers.
- Provide software support for the company's main business systems providing user assistance and help to ensure the smooth running of business processes.
- Analyse, scope, thoroughly document, build and test changes requested by the business to ensure that the change requests are accurately recorded and met. The requirements of the role may also require facilitation of user acceptance testing with business colleagues and introduction into production as part of the software lifecycle development process.
- Apply and document system fixes to help address future fault resolution in a timely manner.
- Write, or contribute, to user guides for end users ensuring they are aware of the systems functions and present or walkthrough as appropriate.
- Create workflows or overviews of existing system functions and data flow to ensure adequate documentations of systems and to aid colleagues.
- Follow system change management guidelines to make sure software source code is adequately protected and to avoid conflict of changes.
- Ensure smooth running of business systems by assessing the impact and potential risk of systems changes and creating adequate back out plans.
- Analyse data and provide one-off reports to help the business in matters such as quality, customer, or production investigations.
Education/ Skills / Knowledge / Experience:
- Degree educated (or equivalent) in a business or IT related discipline
- Extensive COBOL experience is essential preferably in an iSeries / AS400 Environment; however, Mainframe and other environments will also be considered
- Experience of developing with SQL and exposure to relational databases
- Exposure to the full development life cycle
- Aptitude for learning newer or alternative technologies with a proven track record of doing so
- Good understanding of the Microsoft Office suite, particularly Microsoft Excel
- Proven problem-solving skills with the ability to work accurately and often under pressure
- Ability to work to plan and report any deviation from plan in a timely manner
- Effective communicator with users at all levels
- Ability to work as part of a team but also be comfortable working unsupervised
- Be comfortable working on multiple projects concurrently and able to prioritise and manage own workload
This role develops and supports core business systems, once competent and up to speed, the role holder will be expected to join the out of hours On-Call rota.
Travel to other sites, including manufacturing environments, may be required from time to time to work with users on requirements gathering, acceptance testing and handover training.