UK Biobank is a large-scale, biomedical database and research resource, containing in-depth genetic and health information from 500,000 individuals from across the UK. The database, which holds a rich variety of genetic, biochemical, lifestyle and health-related data, is unprecedented in both its size and scope including genotypes, whole exome sequences and whole genome sequences. These de-identified data are readily accessible to more than 20,000 approved researchers around the world, undertaking research in public health. This unique resource is enabling them to make scientific discoveries that will improve human health.
This is an unrivalled opportunity for an energetic, collaborative, information technology, systems and data leader to improve researcher access to this world-leading health research data resource. UK Biobank's new CIO will help us accommodate the exponential growth in demand for this invaluable data resource by modernising our bespoke systems whilst facilitating intuitive and secure access to the data for the global health research community.
We are looking for a pragmatic, pro-active and technically astute IT leader to craft and deliver our future technology needs and help us expand this critical part of the UK's scientific infrastructure.
- Plan and deliver a well thought out IT and IS technology stack which will de-risk our legacy systems, democratise access to our data and enable us to better engage with both researchers and study participants. A key focus will be to oversee the delivery and further development of the open research analysis data platform. You will work closely with the data platform technology partner (DNAnexus) to put in place a high-quality service for users and to define excellence in data management and security standards.
- Transform our IT and IS people capability. Create an aligned, right-size, right-shape and mature team in which business prioritisation is embedded, and contemporary IT industry standards and disciplines are adopted.
- UK Biobank is a world-leader in its field so our CIO will be active on the international stage. You will build meaningful peer-to-peer relationships with aligned institutions to influence the global population health data agenda, facilitate best practice, agree shared data standards and devise robust and scalable technology approaches.
- The CIO will be a member of the UK Biobank Executive Management Team and will attend Board meetings of the organisation as appropriate. The post will involve some national travel (principally between the main UK Biobank sites, Manchester and Oxford, and London).
- You should have held significant, high-level accountability for mission critical IT and data systems in a large and complex organisation, ideally with some exposure to research or data intensive sectors. You will have the ability to work across a diverse, distributed organisation, plus have demonstrable experience of delivering the transformation of legacy technology environments.
- Bright, pragmatic, and intellectually curious; you should have a down to earth, communicative and collaborative approach. You should also bring the gravitas to engage credibly with driven, intelligent senior stakeholders across a diverse and complex organisation and external research community.
- An enthusing people leader, you will have the proven ability to inspire distributed IT teams to adopt new ways of working and disciplines, such as ITIL service management. You should also have proven experience working closely with technology partners on highly visible systems projects and programmes.
If you thrive on leading technology, systems and data change in complex environments, then this is a tremendous opportunity for you to make an impact on the future of world health.
UK Biobank has engaged the services of Berwick Partners (an Odgers Berndtson company), to whom applications should be sent by clicking the APPLY button.
Contact Name: UK Biobank