Here at NPS we have a simple set of values that sets out who we are as a company. We are:
Intelligent - we make the right choices
Involved - our enthusiasm creates energy
Innovative - we always ask what's next
Our business is all about making lives safer, healthier, better managed and mobile
Our software underpins critical police, health, housing and local government services, ensuring delivery of the right data at the right time to protect and improve people's lives.
We're as committed to the positive social outcomes of our customers' services as they are, which means we put people first. In the interfaces and systems we design, and the software support and development service we provide.
Across the world, billions of people every day rely on the services and benefits provided by their police, health services, housing and local government. Their home, welfare, wellbeing and security often depend on them.
We create and manage the software that connects people with these services. We design smart interfaces and data processes to ensure services are easy to use, always on, relevant, accurate and trusted.
Using internet, mobile and AI technology, we are designing new tools that maximise the positive experience people have of critical services, and helping to make sure they are safer, healthier, better managed, and able to organise their life on the go.
Working closely with our customers - the service providers - we define people's needs today and in the future - and work intelligently to continuously improve our software products and data management.
Our software underpins the performance of our customers as they serve their customers. Our constant focus is making sure our software is stable, efficient, cost efficient and secure.
We're proud of the role we play, improving people's lives through dependable critical services. With a growing number of customers globally, we're going to make a difference to millions of people more.
Based in the UK but working around the world, our 2,000 employees help improve the services that matter most. We are now part of the NEC corporation, a leader in the integration of IT and network technologies that benefit businesses and people worldwide - this brings in new opportunities without limits for growth and innovation.
The role can be based within our Bracknell or Hemel Hempstead office.
Working as part of a growing team to provide technical expertise and support on UNIX/Linux servers for internal and customer systems. Work closely with the team to ensure effective delivery of UNIX/Linux related projects for existing and new customers.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- Operating system and software administration, fault analysis and remediation on Advanced and client equipment across multiple UNIX & Linux operating systems and versions including but not limited to RHEL, CentOS, Solaris & Ubuntu
- Support the Pre-Sales & Sales teams to develop client solutions using suitable technology.
- Support the Problem, Change Project team in the onboarding of new customers and new solutions for existing customers. This will involve taking a project from a design phase all the way through build to delivery and ongoing support.
- Controlled build, reconfiguration or upgrade work carried out under strict change control procedures.
- Creation, testing and maintenance of systems configuration and procedural documentation.
- Participate in the Advanced 24x7 on-call support rota.
- Application of OS patches and upgrades on a regular basis,
- Upgrade administrative tools and utilities.
- Conduct root cause problem investigations for infrastructure and application issues.
- Use of configuration management tools to ensure access and security across the managed estate.
- When required visit client sites for meetings or to resolve issues.
The ideal candidate will possess the following experience:
- Proven experience of working as a UNIX/Linux Engineer in large and complex environments.
- The ability to manage complex and large-scale technical solutions.
- Excellent problem solving capabilities;
- The ability to work independently as well as part of team.
- Excellent organisation skills e.g. ability to prioritise and multi task, lead technical projects, and complete the project within defined timescales.
- A good decision maker and diligent in the execution of tasks.
- Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills.
- A willingness to learn and develop personal skills.
- A proactive approach to work and a willingness to help others use IT effectively.
- A willingness to mentor and teach more junior team members and assist in their development.
- The ability to own, prioritise and be responsible for own workload.
- Able to maintain professional standards at all times.
- Able to comply with the provisions of ISO27001 certification and the Company Security Policy in particular relating to system and data security
- Degree qualified or equivalent relevant experience.
- Strong Knowledge of Solaris 10 & 11 including virtualization with Containers/Zones and VM Server for Sparc/Logical Domains & management with Oracle Enterprise Manager Ops Center
- Strong knowledge of RHEL/CentOS 5/6/7 in an enterprise environment.
- Knowledge of Debian/Ubuntu.
- Knowledge of Orchestration/Configuration Management tools (e.g. Ansible, Chef, or Puppet)
- Experience managing full application stacks from the OS up through custom applications
- Demonstrable experience in supporting and managing a large number of complex multi-server, multi-vendor, multi-technology infrastructures.
- Experience in progressing projects from technical design all the way through to delivery.
- Good understanding of the design and configuration of UNIX/Linux systems.
- Experience working with 3rd party vendors.
- Experience providing on call and out of hours support.
- Experience with software management - installations, patching of OS/apps etc.
- Experience with Virtualization ideally VMWare
- Knowledge of one or more scripting languages (e.g. Bash, Ruby, Python)
- Solid understanding of TCP/IP networking concepts and major protocols.
- Experience providing systems administration in a similar Managed Services environment.
- Experience with cloud technologies such as AWS, Microsoft Azure or Oracle Cloud
- Experience with containerisation such as Docker or similar.
- Experience with web technologies eg. Apache, Jboss etc.
- An understanding of RDBMS databases particularly Oracle would be highly beneficial.
- Experience with network security - physical and software firewalls eg IPtables or FirewallD
- Experience with NetApp for both NAS * SAN.
- Experience with Backup Solutions preferable HP Data Protector
- Experience configuring and managing MTAs eg. EXIM, Sendmail, Postfix.
- MODSC/NPPV Security Clearance
Employees of Northgate Public Services are entitled to the following Company funded benefits:
- Single Private Medical Cover (with the option to select family cover at an additional cost)
- 25 days paid holiday (includes 3 company nominated days) with the option to buy/sell up to 5 days
- 4 x basic salary life assurance cover
- A Group Pension Plan with fantastic employer contributions
- A selection of tax efficient flexible benefits to suit your individual needs
- The role offers a competitive salary.
Candidates must be able to demonstrate a pre-existing right to work and travel within the EU. Documentary evidence will be required.
All offers are subject to satisfactory vetting and reference checks. Depending on the nature of the role a Disclosure Barring Service (DBS) check may also be required.
Northgate Public Services is an equal opportunities employer, welcoming applications from all communities.
Contact Name: Northgate Public Services