We have a new opportunity for a Data Architect to join our Data and Online team. Data allows us to publish our stories, manage our customers, and highlight trends and behaviours in how our readers shop. It monitors our performance, enables us to make strategic decisions quickly, and touches nearly every part of our business so we're looking for an Architect to join us on this journey.
As our data Architect, you will report to the Product Manager and work closely with the Data Platform team and wider business areas to design robust data foundations and structures that support the defined business outcomes captured in epics and user stories, enabling the data Engineering team to build against the requirements.
What do we need from you?
Create the data foundation
- Design a robust and efficient data pipeline to bring various raw data sources (internal and external) into our cloud based storage and processing platform
- Design appropriate routines to deliver a robust and scalable data architecture
- Design a suitable plan to support the migration of legacy data into Snowflake
- Adopt "security by design" and "quality by design" principles to provide performant data environments that can be used confidently by analysts decision makers
- Work with the Lead Data Engineer, adopting best practice methodologies to maintain a data lake archive and appropriate transformed data layers to support business needs
- Ensure the architecture supports our PowerBI reporting and analytics suite
Lead Data Architecture
- Set the appropriate technical direction for the data architecture to support the Product Manager, Data Platform, data engineering and the data strategy
- Work within a Dev/DataOps culture and working practice within the team
- Support the Product Manager to translate and assign the backlog into features and developments to achieve the prioritized business outcomes
- Design suitable structures to support first and third-party data use.
- Support data governance, ensuring data structures are aligned to policies, captured in the data catalog and implemented through the data architecture
- Stay connected to the data management industry and constantly challenge the platform design for improvements to service, efficiency and business outcomes
Enable data science
- Partner closely with data science and analytics teams across the business, understanding and developing solutions for their needs
- Design suitable data environments and architectures to support the Lab and Factory models.
- Design structures that enable datasets to support predictive and respective analytics as well as training machine learning and AI models.
- Remain at the forefront of industry data trends, translating how new data types and treatments can support competitive advantage for Penguin Random House
- A technologist, deeply interested in the industry trends and developments
- Passionate about the power of data to drive better, faster decisions
- A self-motivated learner
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills to be able to liaise and influence effectively with enterprise customers and technical colleagues
- Enjoys developing the team capabilities along with the technology solutions
- Willing to challenge existing models and practices
You will also need:
- Extensive experience with architecting cloud based data engineering/BI/data science solutions
- Proven experience designing scalable schemas to ingest various types of data including transactional, web analytics, CRM/marketing, structured and unstructured
- Demonstrable experience of coding and tool based solutions for ingest and storage to know when either will offer benefits
- Experience migrating legacy data solutions into the cloud, including refactoring and potential challenges or opportunities
- Extensive technical experience of building with various types of database including using AWS functions, Postgres SQL, SQL Server, Datavault
- Ability to influence peers, team, and business stakeholders
Our tech stack consists of AWS, Snowflake, Fivetran/DBT, and PowerBi.
Salary: Up to £70,000 dependent on how your skills and experience align to the role.
If you are interested, please apply with your covering letter and CV.
What you can expect from us:
Our employees are the heart of our business. We have a range of benefits to reflect our commitment to our employees, some of which are:
- 25 days paid holiday entitlement in year one, plus bank holidays
- Medical cover
- Life assurance
- Cycle to Work scheme
- Discounted gym membership
- Personal Learning Allowance
- Generous pension scheme
- Summer working hours (role dependent)
- Volunteering policy and charity matching
- Employee Assistance programme
- Mentoring programme
- Extended Parental Leave policy
- 60% Discount on Company books
- Each site has trained mental health first aiders
- We plant a tree for every new employee to our business
Our creativity is inspired by different perspectives, so we want our culture to be one of belonging, where everyone feels welcome and where differences are celebrated.
Please note, we are not able to accept agency CVs for this role. Any CVs sent speculatively will not be eligible for a fee.
Contact Name: Penguin Random House UK