Data allows us to publish our stories, manage our customers, and highlight trends and behaviours in how our readers shop. It monitors our performance, enables us to make strategic decisions quickly, and touches nearly every part of our business. It's one of our most significant assets so we're on the look out for a Product Manager to help to drive the all-new, end-to-end cloud data platform and adopt a Dev/DataOps working culture. As Product Manager, you will be influential in aligning our data platform strategy to our business strategy, ensuring our work is driven by business use cases and generated value.
The adoption of Product Management will drive this mindset and as Product Manager, Data Platforms you will lead this way of working. You will develop effective relationships with senior stakeholders across the organisation; understanding what drives value in each operation, helping them understand the potential to use data to drive their performance, and maintaining a prioritised backlog of epics and user stories that will deliver this value. You will support the Director of Data and Online to create and drive the Penguin Random House data strategy.
You will lead an engineering team who will translate the backlog to technical tasks. A similar Product Manager role will lead on the visualisation platforms and these two roles will form a close delivery partnership.
Your Key Responsibilities & Duties required for this role:
- Being a visible data leader
- Form effective stakeholder relationships with key stakeholders across all areas of the organisation
- Act as a data evangelist, helping them understand how data can be used to drive better, faster decisions in their areas
- Translate their business strategies and commercial priorities into a backlog of supporting developments for the data platform
- Lead suitable stakeholder forums that prioritise the backlog by business value
- Support the Director of Data and Online to create, maintain and drive the Penguin Random House data strategy
- Running the data platform
- Bring together data engineering and data architecture to develop the platform
- Be the "voice of the consumer", ensuring the platform develops driven by business need and value prioritisation
- Ensure the platform delivers an operational service that meets the business needs
- Instill a Dev/DataOps culture and working practices into the data platform team
- Initiate and oversee appropriate initiatives to deliver a continuously improving robust and scalable service
- Support data governance and ensure data structures are aligned to policies and captured in the data catalog
- Support data visualisation, ensuring required data is captured from internal or external sources and presented for use by the visualisation tools
- Support the Global Data Hub, offering a pipeline of required data and alignment to global initiatives and best practice on data structures and use cases
- Maintain a method of proving delivered business value
- Enhancing data science capability
- Partner closely with data science and analytics teams
- Ensure the data platform provides the functionality for a suitable Lab environment, developing over time as capabilities evolve
- Define and own a "Lab to Factory" process that takes data science team models into production
- Ensure production algorithms and models remain valid and performant
- Extensive experience as a Product Manager/Owner delivering data engineering/data science solutions in an agile environmen
- Proven experience working in Technology and Data management in a similar Business environmen
- Relevant technical experience of methods of data processing, data models and data infrastructure
- Analytical and pragmatic to make tactical decisions and keep moving forward on the strategy
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills to be able to liaise and influence effectively with all levels of management and lines of business
- Able to build and maintain strong relationships with a large number of stakeholders, customers, leaders as well as team members.
- Strong business acumen to make smart decisions
- Can build, lead an improve an Agile/DataOps team
Our tech stack consists of AWS, Snowflake, Fivetran/DBT, and PowerBi.
Salary: Up to £90,00 dependent on how your skills and experience align to the role.
If you are interested, please apply with your covering letter and CV.
What you can expect from us:
Our employees are the heart of our business. We have a range of benefits to reflect our commitment to our employees, some of which are:
- 25 days paid holiday entitlement in year one, plus bank holidays
- Medical cover
- Life assurance
- Cycle to Work scheme
- Discounted gym membership
- Personal Learning Allowance
- Generous pension scheme
- Summer working hours (role dependent)
- Volunteering policy and charity matching
- Employee Assistance programme
- Mentoring programme
- Extended Parental Leave policy
- 60% Discount on Company books
- Each site has trained mental health first aiders
- We plant a tree for every new employee to our business
Our creativity is inspired by different perspectives, so we want our culture to be one of belonging, where everyone feels welcome and where differences are celebrated.
Please note, we are not able to accept agency CVs for this role. Any CVs sent speculatively will not be eligible for a fee.
Contact Name: Penguin Random House UK