|Recruiter:||UK Atomic Energy Authority|
|Listed on:||10th March|
|Salary/Rate:||£36,397 - £52,293|
This job has now expired please search on the home page to find live IT Jobs.
Software Engineer (VR)
- Full time
- Department: RACE Operations
- Salary: £36,397 to £52,293 (inclusive of MPP) + excellent benefits including outstanding pension
- Confirmed Grade: Level 4 / Level 5
- Site Location: UKAEA Culham, Oxfordshire
By 2050, the planet could be using twice as much electricity compared to today. Are you interested in contributing and helping to shape the future of the world's energy? If so, read on.
Fusion, the process that powers the Sun and stars, is one of the most promising options for generating the cleaner, carbon-free energy that our world badly needs. UKAEA are at the forefront of realising energy from fusion, working with industry and research partners to deliver the ground-breaking developments that will underpin tomorrow's fusion power stations with the aim of bringing fusion electricity to the grid.
RACE (Remote Applications in Challenging Environments) is based at Culham, within UKAEA, specialising in remote handling and automated systems.
Who are we looking for?
Do you have extensive experience in creating intricate solutions in a diverse range of complex environments?
RACE is seeking talented software engineers with a proven track record. You will be responsible for leading projects with expertise in software development, producing digital twin environments, and working on the design and execution of research projects relating to robotics and haptic tele-operation. With a focus on developing remote handling systems for the next generations of power stations, this role will support the UK effort to apply novel technologies to all challenging and harsh environments for the protection of people and advancement of industry.
International travel to customer`s and collaborator`s sites may be required.
What will you be responsible for?
The main responsibilities of the role will be the delivery of complex technical projects, from conception to delivery. This will include:
- Software engineering with Object-Oriented programming languages and design patterns
- Writing front and back-end applications for use with robotic systems
- Involvement in the implementation of Graphical User Interfaces
- Working with Unreal Engine and VR
- Integration with control systems and operations software
- Supporting other engineers and managers with application issues (e.g. user ability, bugs, training requirements, configuration)
- Acting as the sole or primary interface to internal and external collaborators on project work or areas of specific expertise
- Acting as the lead engineer contributing to the remote handling operations of JET, the world`s largest magnetically confined fusion experiment
Essential skills, experience and competence required
- Master`s degree in Control Engineering or a related subject
- Strong experience with VR, Unity, Unreal Engine 4, or similar
- Demonstrable experience working in engineering
- Good interpersonal and communication skills, and a proven ability of technical leadership
- A strong understanding of software engineering techniques and design principles including lifecycle, version control, documentation.
- Strong programming capability in C++ (or Python)
- Strong experience with Object-Oriented Design
- Experience of design and practical implementation of Graphical User Interfaces
Desirable skills, experience and competence
- PhD in Control Engineering or a related subject
- Machine learning and Computer Vision experience
- Extensive experience of working in a related engineering field
- Experience of developing real time software using VxWorks, or RT Linux
- Experience of designing control systems for servo-actuator systems
- Knowledge of mathematical modelling and optimisation of servo systems
- Knowledge of regulations relating to the safety of machines
- Familiarity with system modelling UML/SysML beneficial
- Familiarity with source code version control systems (Git, SVN etc.)
- Experience with network-based communications, e.g. TCP, UDP, DDS
- Experience of working with mobile robotics
- Understanding of sensor fusion techniques
- Professional registration
- Understanding of machine safety legislation and standards
- Experience writing procurement specifications for control systems
Please note, we welcome applications across 2 levels, the level is determined by skills and experience against the set criteria. The level 4 role attracts a salary range of £36,397 to £38,620 (inclusive of MPP) and level 5 attracts a salary of £49,396 to £52,293 (inclusive of MPP).
What we offer
- A competitive salary
- A culture committed to being fully inclusive, supported by a Being Inclusive Strategy and Inclusion Ambassadors
- An Employee Assistance Programme and trained Mental Health First Aiders, with a full calendar of health and wellbeing initiatives
- Flexible working options including family-friendly policies
- Emergency leave (paid)
- 30.5 days' annual leave (including privilege days and 3 days between Christmas and New Year) increased with length of service
- Wide range of career development opportunities (e.g. professional registration, internal promotions, coaching and mentoring programme)
- Outstanding defined benefit pension scheme
- Annual corporate bonus scheme
- Relocation allowance (if eligible)
Please be advised that this vacancy is due to close on 09/04/21. We may close earlier than this date if large or sufficient numbers of applications are received.