Senior Systems Engineer (Weapons Integration)
£35000 - £45000
This job has now expired please search on the home page to find live IT Jobs.
Senior Systems Engineer (Weapons Integration)
Location: Glasgow Area - Work From home
About the role
This is an exciting opportunity for a Senior Systems Engineer to help us grow the new Type 31 frigate weapon systems integration and pioneer future business development opportunities, within the Defence Systems Technology (DST) business unit of Babcock International Group.
We are looking for a collaborative Senior Systems Engineer to meet this fast moving and challenging programme and help make the world a safer place through supporting the Ministry of Defence and the Royal Navy on these future generation platforms.
This role will be shared between the Combined Weapons & Electrical Workshop (CWEW), Devonport Royal Dockyard, Plymouth and the Babcock Technology Centre (BTC), Bristol as well as other locations to support the project, including the build site at Rosyth and the potential for international travel. DST is a rapidly expanding area of Babcock International and works across a range of exciting design, manufacture and support projects. Our 1,500 strong team operate from a number of sites across the UK and internationally ensuring our global customer portfolio is always supported.
What do I need to do the role?
In this role you will work alongside the Technical Manager and Type 31 Team to develop the integration of the complex Weapon Systems to meet applicable standards with assurance from the Chief Engineer.
You will also help develop current and future business opportunities in this area. The key activities for the role will be as follows:
* Lead technical delivery of the Statement of Work, Technical Equipment Specification and associated weapon systems integration documents.
* Develop and control technical documentation to ensure safe and effective integration of medium and small calibre gun systems in support of the wider Type 31 Team.
* Engage with multidisciplinary subject matter experts and non-technical stakeholders, such as Commercial, Project and Programme Management, Safety, Information Assurance and the Combat System Integration Team, to support development to meet safety, quality, time, and cost requirements.
* Present to internal and external customers on engineering decisions and opportunities.
* Plan and support system trials and integration to achieve the required vessel acceptance programme.
* Anticipate or undertake root cause analysis to identify shortcomings and recommend potential solutions.
* Provide solutions for technical problems to ensure effective project delivery whilst ensuring cost efficiencies and minimising project and technical risks.
* Provide technical support to bid opportunities in support of further business growth.
* Be flexible in work location and hours to support Type 31 project delivery deadlines.
* Provide mentorship of junior members of the team including apprentices, undergraduates and graduates on development placements.
The candidate should have excellent communication and presentation skills which will be essential for representing DST to both internal and external customers. Stakeholder management is essential in this role to ensure all groups are working towards common goals in a timely and acceptable manner.
We would also like you to have experience in all or some of these areas:
* Knowledge of relevant standards for engineering design, qualification and acceptance within a Naval Environment (e.g. Defence Standards and Military Standards).
* Knowledge Ministry of Defence documentation and procedures is desirable.
* Knowledge of weapon or combat system integrations is desirable.
* Knowledge of the impacts of Weapons, Ordnance, Munitions and Explosives (WOME) on the platform design and integration activities is desirable.
* Comprehensive working knowledge of the Microsoft suite of tools including Outlook, Word, PowerPoint, Excel and Project.
Lastly, you'll need...
* Experience of the integration, acceptance and engineering issues encountered for naval platform systems.
* Experience of working with multidisciplinary engineering and project teams.
* Experience of RN operations or support activities is desirable.
* Experience of developing Engineering design processes, procedures and tools. * Experience of creating, collating and managing a complex suite of documentation.
* HND or HNC in Engineering Discipline with significant demonstrable experience and capability.
What else do I need to know?
* The successful candidate must be able to achieve the appropriate security clearance level for this role.
* Please follow the link to find out more about how COVID-19 is impacting Recruitment and On-boarding for applicants
* We are happy to talk about flexible working. Please ask about alternative patterns of work at interview.
About Babcock International
For more than a century, Babcock, the Aerospace and Defence company, has been trusted to deliver bespoke, highly-skilled engineering services. We help customers in the UK and around the world to improve the capability, reliability and availability of their most critical assets within the four market sectors of Marine, Land, Aviation, and Nuclear, underpinned by a deep understanding of technology integration, unique infrastructure and specialist training.