We are looking to recruit a passionate and enthusiastic PhD or Post-Doc level bioinformatician, computational biologist or biological engineer to join our world-class team and help us achieve our goal of re-defining and revolutionising biology.
Working remotely for the moment, you'll eventually be based out of our HQ in the exciting new Life Sciences hub at White City Place
, West London, with flexible working available by arrangement.
Named by the World Economic Forum as one of the world's 30 Technology Pioneers 2016, Synthace is building a software platform to transform the way biology is done.
Our revolutionary software platform - Antha
- lowers the level of entry for scientists to introduce automation to their work, while allowing specialist technicians to get even more out of the existing equipment in the labs. It is directly contributing to faster, more efficient research into hard to cure diseases such as Cancer.
If social impact and knowing your work is having a positive impact on the world is important to you, it doesn't get much better than this.
Antha allows scientists to design biological experiments, simulate them, translate instructions for robotic lab equipment, and visualise complex data sets from the results. As you can imagine, there are a wide range of technical challenges that we are addressing, and the work is rewarding.
This is a highly collaborative effort between software developers, biologists, engineers, mathematicians, bioinformaticians, designers and our growing list of industrial partners in the biosciences.
Clients already include the likes of Microsoft, BASF, Merck and GSK, and we have ambitious plans to grow our customer base this year.
What you'll be doing
This is a software development role, where it would also be advantageous for you to have lab-based experience or have a good understanding of how lab work is conducted, but you will not be required to do any wet-lab work. Your intelligence, adaptability, communication skills and work ethic will be at the heart of being successful in this position.
Working closely with our Lab and Commercial teams, you will be working to build products that analyse experimental data to produce scientific insight. Projects will range from making incremental improvements to existing analysis tools, to creating brand new applications that integrate results from multiple assays to give scientists unified understanding of an experiment.
You will have a drive to produce high-quality deliverables and build products that ease scientific understanding while not oversimplifying.
Past experience in hands-on research will be helpful for engaging with and understanding our clients' needs. Our main current target market is the pharmaceutical sector, so relevant experience is a plus, particularly in process development.
Extensive training will be provided and there will be excellent opportunities for you to expand your skill-set and progress within the company.
In 'normal' times this is primarily an office-based role but, due to Covid, we are set up to work remotely until it makes sense to return.
Your skills and experience:
- You need to have relevant bioprocessing or scientific data processing experience - it's likely that you'll have a PhD and maybe Post-Doc level experience
- You must have coding experience with R, MATLAB, Python, or general-purpose programming languages
- Excellent data analysis skills using statistical packages
- You're used to working to a high level of scientific rigour
- Knowledge and/or experience of hands-on lab work
- You'll need to be able to demonstrate ability to communicate in a multi-disciplinary environment during internal discussion and external client facing activities
- Experience with abstracting scientific concepts in computational space
- Confidence to challenge our conventions constructively
- Ability to work independently but actively seek out resources when needed
- You have outstanding communication skills and the ability to explain complex topics colloquially
- You're proactive, with a willingness to learn in a highly dynamic environment
- You know how to work effectively and cross-functionally to deliver prioritised tasks
Bonus points (but don't worry if you don't have these):
Salary: £45k-£60k depending on experience
Location: West London (remote at the moment due to Covid)
Employment type: Permanent (preferred) and Contract opportunities available
Other benefits: Equity (stock options), 10% pension, private health, and more!
Our diversity gives us strength. We value the wealth of knowledge, different perspectives and insights that come from having a truly diverse group of amazing colleagues, and an important part of the way we work is based around sharing knowledge with each other.
We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, colour, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender, gender identity or expression. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.