We're currently seeking Milton Keynes-based LIMS Developers to work within a state of the art, high output diagnostics laboratory environment as part of the UK's NHS Test and Trace programme.
The LIMS Developer will provide software design and engineering in support of laboratory operations and management.
As well as playing a vital role in supporting society's return to a more normal way of life by helping to break the chains of COVID-19 transmission, you will also gain invaluable experience and exposure to some of the country's most highly skilled individuals in the scientific community.
This represents a once in a lifetime opportunity to go above and beyond to support public health, while also extending your already accomplished technical skills and positioning your Scientific career for further success and growth.
- Develop workflows and interfaces between our commercial Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS) and our internal software platforms.
- Specify and deliver software engineering solutions to clinical LIMS issues of a highly technical nature.
- Take ownership of software engineering standards, documentation, tools, methods, and environments.
- Produce rapid and telling solutions for the Exec Management Team in response to requests for management information reports and dashboards.
- Deliver reporting solutions in the form of web pages, dashboards and formatted reports for external laboratory customers.
- Monitor and maintain the high performance and reliability of laboratory IT solutions.
- Act as subject matter expert on LIMS matter during audits, contributing strongly to the maintenance of high-quality procedure documentation, user lists, privileges, and systems security.
- Interacting with our LIMS application vendor, ensure delivery of effective enhancements and support, and assist the management team in managing the vendor relationship.
- Interact extensively with clinical LIMS administrators, senior lab operatives, and the lab management team, exploiting software opportunities to improve our end-to-end laboratory workflow and enhance standard operating procedures.
- Collaborate closely with the IT Infrastructure team to deliver solutions on well-architected and secure platforms and network configurations.
Essential Qualifications and Experience
- Undergraduate degree in chemistry, biology, IT, computer science or equivalent
- Demonstrated software engineering experience with LIMS
- Instrument integration experience
- Sound software configuration management and governance, as well as pure development
Essential Technical Skills
- Ruby programming to expert level
- Restful API / Interface experience
- Web development on a Linux platform
- Linux web server configuration and support
- Relational database design and administration, preferably PostgreSQL
- Programming in a Biological Sciences setting
- Delivery of simple Data Warehousing solutions
- Highly desirable experience of automation scripting using Python or R and Pearl
- Git software management tools
- Linux systems administration at the command line, including editors and file management
- MS SQL Server relational database (for legacy systems at UK Biocentre)
- Working knowledge of Unix server virtualisation under Hyper-V
- Experience of technical business analysis and process design
- Ability to take sole ownership of holistic IT solutions to ensure delivery of software to a consistent standard.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including to exec management team level
- Take ownership and pride in projects, setting and achieving high standards for self and working with the IT infrastructure team.
- Maintain a strong focus on IT security, ensuring that all software solutions are maintained highly secure against external threats.
- Ability to respond appropriately to the needs of demanding users, seeking guidance on priorities where appropriate.
- Ability to analyse complex technical and operational problems and propose solutions.
- Self-motivated with a strong work ethic.
- Strong desire to 'do it right' without the need for direct oversight.
- Determined to see issues through to resolution.
As well as a competitive rate of pay, you'll receive comprehensive training on relevant lab procedures and equipment. Benefits include 26 days paid holidays, competitive pension contribution, and food on site.
This role will work on a Monday - Friday 9am - 5pm pattern. Please speak to our team to learn more.
You will also be joining a diverse and hugely welcoming team. Diversity at NHS Test and Trace is about reflecting the communities we serve, holding the principles of equality and inclusion at the heart of everything we do and all that we stand for, embracing differences, creating possibilities, and growing together. We aim to foster a culture where individuals of all backgrounds feel confident in bringing their whole selves to work, feel included and their talents are nurtured, empowering them to contribute fully to our purpose.
This is literally a once in a lifetime opportunity to join a team of highly skilled individuals, all focused on delivering the best possible outcome.
If you're ready for a new challenge and want to be part of the team delivering this essential lab work, please apply today.