Platform Solution Engineer
LA International Computer Consultants Ltd
24th November 2020
This job has now expired please search on the home page to find live IT Jobs.
PLATFORM SOLUTION ENGINEER
Duration: Until September 2021 initially
Location: Remote at present, Wiltshire when possible
Status: Outside IR35
Clearance: SC Cleared
The Platform Solution Engineering Service is responsible for the design and development of the core elements of the Platform. The primary focus of this service is to undertake and coordinate all development tasks related to the design of the core platform as agreed by the Engineering Management Team via the Programme Increment planning process. The Platform Solution Engineering service's responsibilities include:
* Interacting with all design and development team leads to ensure cross team, cross technology coherence to satisfy the requirements of the system and act as initial point of contact for all team members within the Core Platform Engineering community.
* Supporting Engineering and Stakeholder engagement.
* Ensuring that standards, frameworks, and security postures align with overall business and technology strategies and policies e.g. Defence as a Platform, Federated Mission Networking, DefStans and JSPs.
* Identifying and communicating all proposed solutions across design teams and review all high, and intermediate designs from all teams.
* Defining, managing, and reviewing the production of all core platform low-level and detailed level designs assuring coherence, technical content, and quality.
* Supporting the design of infrastructure and software architecture elements to enable the system to function within the context of the environment.
* Supporting the build of system test, reference, and development environments to prove services and to demonstrate successful satisfaction of the requirements.
* Liaising with other solution engineers and team leads across Engineering to ensure a robust solution is delivered within time, cost and performance.
* Influencing the automation of design artefacts and indicate how they can be delivered by the orchestration technology.
* Identifying capability gaps in existing architectures and recommend changes or enhancements in line with Agile and continuous improvement methods.
Essential skills, qualifications, and experience
In order to deliver this service, it is essential that individuals have:
Significant demonstrable experience in:
* Solution design of secure hardware and software solutions, demonstrating successful delivery on complex, large scale programmes utilising emerging technologies where possible.
* Delivering against high pressure timelines and in complex organisations.
* Writing technical requirements and producing detailed solution designs.
* Conducting rational product selections against complex requirements, specifically measuring performance, cost and time.
* Successfully running a large development team, ensuring delivery timescales are met.
In-depth experience of:
* VMware's Software Defined Networking Product - NSX, to deliver secure multi-tenancy solutions.
* Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2, 2012 R2, 2016 and 2019 core operating systems at expert level.
* Additional Microsoft based technologies such as Exchange, Skype, SQL and Group Policy.
* Microsoft Windows 10, various Linux implementations from thick client to zero client VDI solutions.
Several years' experience in the design and delivery of
* Public and Private cloud architectures utilising Software Defined Datacentre (SDDC) techniques.
* Virtualisation technologies such as VMware ESXi 6.5, vCentre 6.5, vSAN 6.5, Site Recovery Manager 8.1 and Horizon 7.4.
* Government Grade Cryptography Provisioning and Management
* Military Information Services such as NATO FAS, UK Base Services and MOD Business management apps.
* Security implementations such as PKI and proxy services e.g. ADFS in line with MOD Security assurance processes.
* Past experience of delivering accredited secure solutions within the UK Public Sector.
* Proven track record of implementing NCSC design patterns.
* An understanding of Defence Lines of Development and MOD Capability Integration.
* A firm grasp of MOD Service management tooling and ITIL.
* Exceptional communication skills with diverse and adverse audiences.
* Strong critical thinking and analytical skills.
* Ability to identify risks associated with business processes, operations, information security programs and technology projects.
* Hold a valid Security Clearance (SC)
* Competency in MS Office Suite.
Desirable skills, qualifications, and experience
In order to deliver this service, it is desirable that individuals have:
* Design and configuration of Two Factor Authentication Solutions.
* Experience with the .NET Framework and Low-Level API calls.
* A firm grasp of PKI integration and utilisation and preferably experience with Defence PKI.
* Automation and Orchestration technologies and principals.
* Delivering in Agile and Waterfall project management environments.
* Experience with the Atlassian Toolset - JIRA, Confluence and BitBucket for delivering Agile based projects.
* A Computer Science university-based education at Bachelors or Masters level.
* Previous experience utilising open source orchestration tools e.g. Ansible, Puppet or Chef.
* Previous work in delivery of software-based programmes and projects.
Due to the nature and urgency of this post, candidates holding or who have held high level security clearance in the past are most welcome to apply. Please note successful applicants will be required to be security cleared prior to appointment which can take up to a minimum 10 weeks.
LA International Computer Consultants Ltd is an HMG Approved Consultancy and operates as an IT & Engineering Consultancy or as an Employment Business & Agency, depending upon the precise nature of the work, for security cleared jobs or non-clearance vacancies, we welcome applications from all sections of the community and from people with diverse experience and backgrounds.
Award Winning LA International Computer Consultants Ltd (Recruiter Awards for Excellence - Best IT, Best Public Sector & Gold Awards) and the most prestigious award that any business can receive The Queens Award for Enterprise: International Trade 2015.