Technical Delivery and Assurance Manager
TFL (Transport for London)
11th November 2020
£55000 - £65000
plus Excellent Benefits
This job has now expired please search on the home page to find live IT Jobs.
The TfL Technology and Data Directorate develop and maintain complex Payment Systems that collect circa £5Bn in revenue each year. An exciting opportunity has arisen to join the TfL Payment Team and be involved in the ongoing development and operation of the expanding payment systems that deliver innovation for its customers by delivering world class solutions using cutting edge technologies.
Our Payment Systems and Services operate across a vast array of platforms, from devices installed at Stations, on Buses, Pass Agents to on premises Tier 3 Data Centres, Cloud Hosting Services and include Oyster, Contactless Payment, ITSO and Cycle Hire as limited examples.
The Payment Systems are constantly evolving with new Services being developed. Such development is undertaken by a mixture of in house solution, infrastructure and network architects, agile delivery specialists, software developers, Cloud and external third parties. The team is recognised for its high quality agile delivery and its ability to introduce new technology in a reliable and cost effective manner.
The Technical Delivery and Assurance Manager is a new role and its focus is the management of new or changed Services, with specific focus towards system integration and technical assurance to shape the development solutions from a service support view point and compliance with the various operational, technical and security standards.
The successful candidate will have a broad technical skill set and range of knowledge/experience likely to be from an IT background used to managing complex systems and services with proven experience in writing/reviewing functional and non functional requirements and assuring high level and low level technical design documentation. The successful candidate will require excellent communication and influencing skills to engage with the various development teams with commercial acumen when engaging with external third parties and internal development teams.
Working within a small multitasked team of specialists your role will be to work with the various internal and external technical teams to shape the design and development of solutions but with a service operation, compliance and assurance view point.
Given the broad nature of the role and skills/experience required it is likely that the successful candidate will have been employed as a technical design manager, infrastructure/solutions architect on comparable complex IT Systems and be able to demonstrate the skills, knowledge and experience gained from these roles at interview. You will be resourceful and self motivated with excellent communication, leadership and collaboration skills to be the bridge between the various technical teams, product managers, project managers, stake holders and service operations.
The payments system necessitate accurate life cycle management, developing, maintaining and assuring such plans will be a key element of the role, thus you must possess the ability to not only understand the detail but also see and manage the big picture, including strategic impacts of emerging strategies and technical designs.
- Develop, establish and maintain a payment system life cycle and investment strategy to ensure the ongoing delivery of the Services.
- Establish and maintain payment system architecture designs and best practises that shall be operated compliant to for any new or changed Service.
- Shall assure the design and implementation of any new or changed service to the payment system and ensure that the service functional and non functional requirements are documented with appropriate test cases.
- You will lead from a Service Design perspective for any technical change, engaging with the technical teams to ensure that options analysis, proof-of-concepts and informing build-vs-buy decisions for the entire life cycle of the Service not just the delivery stages.
- You will improve the design solution taking pragmatic decisions in light of project pressures and TfL's complex technology landscape, working with the wider technology community.
- You will work directly with the operating business, product and project managers to understand what the end user is seeking to achieve and convey key messages of design and success to the technical teams.
- Build and maintain strong working relationships across the Directorate, Suppliers and TfL operating businesses.
- You will communicate and present your projects to a range of stakeholders, seeking approval/guidance/feedback as required
- Payment System knowledge and experience is desirable, but not essential.
- Understand payment and IT System security and mandatory standard compliance.
- Understand infrastructure architecture design and operation and their contribution to the overall software development process and reliable delivery of the Services.
- Understand network design and operation to securely transfer Data with high availability, low latency.
- IT System architecture and life cycle management best practises and controls.
- Understand how large corporate organisations operate at the business process execution level. How departmental boundaries and internal politics impact behaviours and decisions.
- Degree or equivalent qualification in a relevant subject area is desirable (e.g. Infrastructure Architecture or Software Engineering, TOGAF).
- Technical Assurance of infrastructure and solution architecture designs and best practises.
- Understand how systems and services should be monitored and managed with demonstrable delivery.
- Excellent leadership and communication skills to breakdown and communicate complex technology decisions into language that enable effective engagement with all stakeholders and decisions to be reached quickly using simple language.
- You will be able to establish, maintain and communicate a technology roadmap strategy signed off by all stakeholders linked into all planned asset life cycle investments.
- You will be able to analyse complex business/technical problems, synthesise solutions, and communicate options to a wide group of partners to establish appropriate informed decisions.
- You will assess and assure all technical changes to the payment systems to ensure the ongoing delivery of the payment services, from strategy alignment, best practises, operational and mandatory standards and contract compliance.
- You will establish and review all functional and non functional requirements for technical changes and assure that such requirements are built into the design solutions, throughout the project delivery phases into BAU operation.
- You will collaborate with all development teams directly to evolve pragmatic technical solutions, ensuring concepts and architectures remain practical and that feedback is acted on.
- You will be involved and assure design architectures and be responsible for all aspects including, data, scalability, capacity, demand, performance, operation, security, standard and license compliance, disaster recovery, monitoring and life cycle.
- Demonstrable capability in managing a complex portfolio of services with strong commercial acumen.
Understand IT systems with specific experience of designing software solutions across some of the following:
- SaaS/PaaS/IaaS cloud: Azure or AWS
- Azure App services, serverless functions, VNET, SQL, App insights, Service bus, DevOps, CosmosDB, API management, EC2, RDS, S3, Lambda, Azure AD etc)
- API design and API security.
- Systems Integration - Java, Unix, Solaris, Linuz, Cisco
- Databases - Oracle, SQL, EMC
- Identity and access management
- High volume transaction processing
- Web and mobile applications
Familiar with relevant tools and techniques used such as:
- UML/ Object oriented Cloud and integration design patterns
- Familiarity with continuous delivery and integration concepts and tooling.
- Micro services concepts
In return for your dedication and expertise, you will enjoy excellent benefits and scope to grow. Rewards vary according to the business area and role, but may include:
Final salary pension scheme
Free travel for you on the TfL network
A 75% discount on National Rail Season Ticket and interest free loan
30 days annual leave plus public and bank holidays
Private healthcare discounted scheme (optional)
Tax-efficient childcare payments
Tax-efficient cycle-to-work programme
Retail, health, leisure and travel offers
Discounted Eurostar travel
Health & Safety Statement
All employees have a general duty in law to take reasonable care for the health and safety of themselves and of other persons who may be affected by their acts or omissions.
All employees must understand and be committed to Transport for London's Health and Safety Policy statement and the Company's safety priorities and be aware of their contribution to such priorities.
All employees must also be aware of and comply with the current health and safety legislation and other Company requirements that are relevant to their job.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, ethnicity, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Crime & Disorder Statement
It is a statutory requirement for all departments in TfL to follow Section 17 of the Crime and Disorder Act 1998.
Section 17 requires authorities to consider the likely affect on crime and disorder and community safety in all that they do, and take action to prevent crime and disorder, substance misuse, anti-social behaviour and behaviour that adversely affects the environment.
TfL has voluntarily been committed to following Section 17 since 2006, but we must all make sure that it is considered in decision making, policies and procedures in the same way that equality and health and safety are