Plymouth / Remote based
up to £491.19 LTD or £377.49 PAYE
Candidates MUST either already hold or be eligible for SC Clearance
Major Tasks, Activities and Outputs:
- Ensure programme objectives and scope are agreed and maintained, ensuring continual alignment with business strategy
- Define and maintain programme governance arrangements, documenting meetings, roles and responsibilities, reporting and communication approach, and any other required programme controls
- Ensure that realistic estimates of costs, timescales and resource requirements within the programme are agreed and carry out the active monitoring of projects against these criteria, taking corrective action as necessary
- Set and manage the programme budget, with careful management of risk and contingency to minimise impact on forecasts
- Manage risks and dependencies and ensure that any strategic problems are identified at the earliest opportunity and that solutions are identified and implemented in line with change control processes
- Maintain and actively manage dependencies
- Ensure component projects are delivered to time, cost & quality while tracking and recording any deviations
- Ensure component projects are completed in accordance with agreed designs, and to prescribed standards
- Ensure handover documentation is created and recorded in appropriate management systems
- Where the service is required, put in place an appropriate benefits management process to taken on by the customer post programme delivery.
- Be prepared to personally deliver large projects as opposed to full programmes where demand and resource availability dictates.
Stakeholder Management & Communication
- Ensure all appropriate communication activities are planned and executed during each programme and constituent project - i.e with the customer / sponsor, and with the affected user community
- Liaise with Sector and IS management, influencing and managing their expectations and gaining their support on corrective action for the programme
- Represent the Corporate Services organisation on Programme Boards, conveying the appropriate level of confidence and professionalism so as to be able to deal effectively and credibly with senior stakeholders in the organisation
- Positively influencing and persuading others to take a specific course of action when there is no direct line of command or control.
Programme team management
- For each programme, build and matrix manage a project delivery team, including project managers, members of other delivery organisations, and third parties where appropriate
- Set the direction and culture of the team, showing the highest standards of leadership, professionalism and collaboration
- Provide guidance and mentoring to Project Managers working on programmes, ensuring use of standard plans and work breakdown structures where appropriate
- Have the commercial acumen to divide work activity between team members to ensure a cost effective team structure.
Delivery Process and Assurance
- For projects in the programme, ensure that the agreed IT Project Management Process is followed throughout the project lifecycle, and that standard portfolio reporting structures are supported
- Provide expert guidance, support and assurance to Project Managers, aimed at achieving delivery of the agreed business outcomes and projects' delivery on time, on budget and up to customer expectations
- Use extensive delivery experience to participate in cross-sector delivery process continuous improvements, from identifying suitable initiatives, to executing changes.
Any other duties as deemed necessary to achieve department goals
Qualification and Experience:
- Degree qualified in a quantitative subject
- Programme management qualification such as MSP (Managing Successful Programmes) desirable
- Project Management qualified such as IS Project Management (Higher Level), MAPM - Member of the Association for Project Management, PMP ® - Project Management Professional, Practitioner Certificate in PRINCE2 ®, Chartered IT Professional (CITP), SCRUM Master, PMI ACP, APMG AgilePM
- At least 5 years of Project Management experience within a technology environment
- At least 3 years of Programme Management experience within a technology environment
- Personable and professional leadership style that is customer focused, and always strives to achieve a win-win scenario despite having to resolve conflict and take difficult decisions on behalf of the Group.
Technical & Specialist Knowledge
- Experience of both Infrastructure and Applications project delivery, with expertise in at least one
- Expert in principles, methods, techniques and tools for the effective management of projects and programmes from initiation through to implementation. Example: MSP, PRINCE2, PMI, SCRUM, Kanban
- Expert in methods and techniques associated with planning and monitoring progress of projects. Examples: product/work breakdown structures, baselining, critical path analysis, earned value, resource analysis, conflict resolution
- Highly experienced in the methods and techniques for managing a programme of projects. Examples: prioritisation, inter-project dependency management, cross-project risk and issues identification and mitigation
- A strong understanding of business change techniques with experience in delivering business change as well as pure IT delivery
- Experience of supporting business case delivery
- Experience of benefits management.
Key Behavioural Competencies
- Highly collaborative and able to work successfully as part of a team
- Strong attention to detail
- Skilled at delegating tasks, responsibilities and authorities effectively
- Good oral and written communication skills, ability to create engaging material to support active project management including stakeholder engagement
- Able to identify goals and objectives, and motivating and leading others towards their achievement
- Able to keep overall objectives and strategies in mind, and not be deflected by matters of detail
- Comfortable working across a multi-disciplined environment.