Salary: G6: National £60,435 and London £64,964 + a DDaT allowance of up to £20,000 depending on location, experience and capability.
Do you have a strategic mindset and drive to shape the enterprise architecture of a large government department?
Can you design, embed, maintain and promote a pragmatic assurance framework, to achieve value for money whilst meeting architectural principles and balancing the needs of multiple stakeholders and organisational risk?
Are you adept at working collaboratively across boundaries whilst leading and developing high-performing teams to realise individual and organisational potential?
If so, then we would love to hear from you!
Here at the Department for Transport, we are looking to compliment an exciting period of strategic expansion with the addition of a new Head of Architecture. You will join the digital service division, using your expertise to lead a team of experienced architects, alongside providing service across the full stack of DfT's architecture practices.
This is a fantastic opportunity for someone who has the passion and skillset to shape the delivery of next generation digital and technology services within the public-sector.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Working with peers to ensure the successful delivery of the Digital Technology Strategy 2020-2023.
• Implementing a pragmatic enterprise architecture framework, covering the main practices of architecture, business, data, application, technology and security.
• Mapping architecture assets against future state business capability to ensure value for money is gained through deployment of new technology and reuse of existing services.
• Being accountable for building and leading a centre of excellence in digital, data and technology architecture for DfTc.
• Leading?the adoption of Government's common technology platforms that underpin the new generation of digital services.
• Developing a culture of high performance and rapid delivery.
We are looking for an experienced senior architect with the following experience and capability:
• Architecture leadership. You will be an experienced senior architect, working within any of the main architecture domains, you may already be a Chief Architect, Head of Architecture or ready to take a step up.
• Bridging the gap between the technical and non-technical. You can mediate between people and mend relationships, communicating with stakeholders at all levels.
• Governance. You can understand how technical governance works with wider governance - for example, budget. You can assure corporate services by understanding important risks and mitigating through assurance mechanisms.
• Making and guiding decisions. You can make and justify decisions characterised by high levels of risk, impact and complexity. You can build consensus between organisations (private or public) or highly independent and diverse stakeholders.
• Strategy. You can shape and influencing government and organisational and organisational strategy. You can own and be responsible for setting strategies, patterns, standards, policies, roadmaps and vision statements.
• Understanding the whole context. You can understand trends and practices outside your organisation and how these will impact on your work. You can anticipate changing policy.
• Architecture frameworks. Practitioner knowledge of Architecture frameworks, such as TOGAF, or those delivered by the British Computer Society, you will demonstrate the pragmatic application of these frameworks through your experience.
• Stakeholder communication. Experience of briefing, challenging, influencing and engaging with senior officials, up to and including Director General and Permanent Secretary level and Ministers (or equivalent in the private sector), providing advice in a format that allows risk-based decisions to be made.
• Leadership and management. You will be adept at working collaboratively as part of a senior leadership team to set and deliver strategy, culture and behaviours that foster a culture of high performance and rapid delivery of outcomes. This will include proven experience of leading teams and developing staff to meet and exceed their potential.