Job title: Systems Engineer
Job purpose: To achieve efficiencies in MapAction's IT systems to support all of its business functions.
Hours: Full time (37.5hrs per week)
Location: From home with some of the time at MapAction's offices in Chinnor, Oxfordshire
Salary: £31,772 - £34,313 - Dependent on experience
Responsible to: Technical Director.
Are you a person who loves getting the best out of IT systems, enjoys automating processes to win efficiencies and ensure business continuity? Are you creative and propositional? Can you listen and understand user requirements? Do you have a strong service ethic? Are you skilled in acquiring new knowledge and experience and can you assess how to apply it? Are you an enthusiastic team player and are you attracted to MapAction's mission? If this is you, get in touch, we've been looking for you to join our team!
To achieve efficiencies in MapAction's IT systems to support all of its business functions.
This role is responsible for the management of MapAction systems and the development of automation and integration processes for these systems.
The post sits within a small team of paid personnel reporting to a Technical Director and working alongside a Head of Technical Development and IT Systems Administrator. The post holder works closely with the organisation's volunteer-led Technical Development Circle and Software Development Circles and others as required.
- Design and implement system integration mechanisms for cloud-based and on-site systems.
- Identify and implement opportunities for automation (using scripting or system-specific mechanisms).
- Undertake scripting and other automation tasks as required.
- Ensure a monitoring system is in place to assess system availability and performance.
- Focus on internal improvements to make MapAction's business administration as well as its IT systems more efficient (e.g. integration with SaaS business process software).
- Ensure legal compliance and licence management for all systems.
- Provide written guidance and support for end users.
- Work closely with volunteers to integrate their contributions to the tasks above.
- Provide back up to the Support Engineer (in working with the IT outsourcing supplier, maintaining operational readiness of the laptop fleet and related software stack).
- Lead on the process of backup and disaster recovery, in accordance with MapAction's standard procedures.
- Act as the main contact with certain IT-related suppliers as required, and manage the delivery of services from them.
As a team member
- Participate in team meetings, deliver updates, and assist in developing and implementing projects and initiatives as required to support the achievement of MapAction's targets.
- As required assist with the practicalities of getting teams to and from airports for emergencies and help with the logistics of training events. This responsibility is shared by all staff.
- Act at all times in the best interests of MapAction and help promote its vision and mission.
- Systems integration (through APIs, service bus, etc).
- Cloud infrastructure management (AWS, Google Cloud, or Azure)
- Training or experience that demonstrates ability to undertake systems administration.
- Salesforce Administration experience would be considered a key advantage
- Database Administration (MS SQL, MySQL, or Postgres)
- Software deployment systems (Ansible, Chef, WPkg, or Salt)
- Demonstrable knowledge and practical ability with a selection of the following:
- Windows administration - both Desktop, Server, including command line
- Linux administration
- G Suite administration
- Python, Powershell or other scripting
- Wordpress administration
- An advantage to have knowledge of any of: Confluence, JIRA, Xero
- Ability to pursue self-directed learning to maintain technical knowledge.
- Good communication skills written and spoken.
- Appreciation of and commitment to working with volunteers.
- Team player
- Commitment to MapAction's mission and values
- Other relevant qualifications an advantage.
- Flexibility and willingness to work outside office hours including evening and weekends, attending monthly weekend training events as required. In particular, training events will be scheduled for a weekend, once a month and the post holder is expected to attend some of these events. Reasonable time off in lieu is available by agreement.
- Note: this is an operational role in a small, highly specialised charity and an appreciation of, and affinity with the humanitarian purpose of the charity is essential, as well as a willingness to take up additional tasks outside of the normal role when needed.
- Own car and clean driving licence.
- Must have the right to live and work in the UK (as a small charity, MapAction is unable to consider candidates who do not already hold the appropriate permissions/work visas)
MapAction (mapaction.org) is a leading humanitarian mapping charity delivering information services and products to help humanitarian responders in disasters and conflicts. This mapped information helps responders understand vulnerabilities and target their response effectively, contributing to saving lives and minimising suffering. The organization works through a team of skilled volunteer professionals and a small paid staff team.
MapAction has built a strong reputation in the humanitarian sector and is a technical partner of the United Nations, Non-Government organisations, regional entities and national authorities. The charity has attracted funding from the UK Government (DFID), USAID's Office for Disaster Assistance, the German Federal Foreign Office, the Government of the Netherlands, EU and other major donors. Over half its budget is covered by restricted funding of this nature.
Contact Name: MapAction
Job ID: 2862310