3rd Line Support Engineer
Location: North Hampshire
Security Clearance: DV
You will provide varied and complex technical support activities as part of service delivery provision and/or projects deployment, including installation, troubleshooting, problem resolution and maintenance.
You will advise customers on preventive maintenance and configuration adjustments to improve product performance and customer satisfaction. You will work with limited supervision and have a depth of specialization across a wide range of systems. You will support less experienced members of the team and wider function in maintaining the availability of the IT service delivered to end users.
This vacancy is to cover the role of a Third Line Technical Engineer within an infrastructure support team. The role will start with some work in central London, moving to the Hampshire (M3 Corridor) area. You will be required to act as a point of escalation for live technical and CAB queries.
Supporting the Lead Technical Manager (LTM) for all high severity MIs affecting a dynamic user base working on Secure contracts. You will have a SME level knowledge of Active Directory and its application in large complex secure environments and will be the escalation point for all AD queries from the 2L teams.
You must have an excellent understanding of change processes and good governance with an ability to support our customer's Technical Lead. An ability to highlight project concerns with 4th Line/Engineering teams, will have experience in carrying out in-depth documentation reviews and have experience supporting technical responses to major IT infrastructure projects.
Knowledge of dashboard creation and support using SCOM is required plus hands-on experience of supporting PKI infrastructure. You must have a deep and extensive knowledge of building and supporting commercial server solutions including access devices such as laptops and workstations.
You must have experience working in secure environments ideally both Official Sensitive and Secret classification levels and have Orange clearance and above. Your support experience should be primarily based on working from remote support sites. Extensive experience of VMware, DHCP, DNS, WINS and Group Policy objects is essential plus at least 18 months experience in a similar role.
- Technical Capability. Works within a team as a noted expert with a wide range of systems or in-depth product knowledge without supervision helping to define and implement technical best practice. Ensures effective planning and implementation of creative and innovative service changes.
- Process. Contributes to the definition of operational processes (both internal and external) and dealing with customer escalated problems.
- Service Level. Manages systems within SLA, proposing, defining improvements and implementing changes to meet service level requirements. Monitors performance through statistical reporting and analysis.
- Project Work. Technical implementation of medium to large infrastructures and technical designs including producing cost and timescale estimates and identifying risks. On larger projects works within a technical framework of the project to meet customer requirements. Consults in tender stage as a technical expert in complex projects. May give training, presentation or workshops.
- Customer Relations. Maintains working relationships with the customer and relevant operational units, at the appropriate technical and/or management level, to understand the requirements of the customer's business in order to deliver and enhance the service.
- Problem Solving. Takes ownership for obtaining the information required to diagnose and resolve more complex problems. Engages with third parties to jointly resolve in-depth product issues where necessary. Proactively analyzes information and trends, proposing action to resolve problems, maintain and enhance service.
- Team Working. Takes a technical lead, promoting knowledge sharing and development of other team members both inside and outside of the group. Stands in for the manager if needed.
- Business Awareness. Proactively contributes both technically and commercially to identify and win new business. Understands the requirements of the customer's business, the scope of the contract and knows how issues impact the delivery of service.
- Professional Development. Stays up to date with new products, tools and techniques, encouraging their use within the business to promote continuous improvement of capability.
WinTel Core Systems PKI
Server 2k3, 2k8, 2k10 SCOM
DHCP Networking tools (Wireshark)
Technical Lead experience
Key Performance Indicators
- Feedback from customers, Project Manager, Tech Lead & Service Lines etc.
- Feedback of participants (internal and external) for technical training sessions delivered.
- Proven track record working with product authority and external vendor support teams.
- Proven track record of problem resolutions.
- Successful solution designs implemented.
- Evidence of sharing and re-use of knowledge.
- Successful definition, implementation and conformance to processes.
- Service level requirements met.
- Response and resolution to escalated issues in a timely manner.
- Problem ownership demonstrated.
- Meets project deadlines and costs within own scope of responsibility.
- Successful track record of leading small projects.
- Errors with workarounds or fixes provided in a timely manner.
- Successful track record of working with third parties.
- Improved first time/line.
- Correct application of severity, impact and priority.
- New business secured and successfully implemented.
- Skills matrix up to date with products/systems/technologies and techniques.
- Contribution to product forums and working parties.
- Up to date personal learning plan available.