Senior Associate, International (Internet Policy)
6th October 2020
£35000 - £35000
This job has now expired please search on the home page to find live IT Jobs.
Senior Associate, International (Internet Policy)
Based from any of our client's regional offices in London, Birmingham or Warrington
This is a fantastic opportunity to help shape our client's approach in an area of intense public policy focus.
Our client's duties and responsibilities are heavily influenced by global policy and legislative developments, as well as technological and commercial developments in the sectors they regulate, all of which determine and inform what they do and how they do it. Moreover, their ability to secure outcomes for consumers increasingly requires that they co-ordinate with other countries and engage with different actors internationally. In some areas, they represent the UK internationally, under a direction from Government, and our client dedicates significant resources to international engagement.
Purpose of the Role
This role will focus on the expanding area of internet and technology policy, where our client seeks to participate in global dialogues and explore multilateral solutions to global/cross-border challenges, and collaborate with regulatory counterparts and other relevant international stakeholders.
The role will include developing relationships with overseas regulators who have internet/tech responsibilities, with relevant international bodies, and with other international stakeholders such as global civil society organisations, with the aim of understanding and influencing policy developments internationally, and fostering regulatory collaboration on cross-border issues. It will also involve working within the organisation to explain international developments to relevant policy teams and to ensure that the international perspective is reflected in the organisation's work.
Requirements of the Role
The role will involve:
- Being responsible for ‘regulatory intelligence', keeping across developments in online regulation and media/digital literacy policy in other countries, as well as in international fora, and communicating these to colleagues across the organisation
- Establishing new relationships and cultivating existing ones with regulators and policymakers internationally, to understand and influence policy and regulatory developments in other countries and in international bodies and fora
- Developing a strategic programme of work for our client's engagement in international bodies and fora, around internet and technology policy issues, particularly focused on the regulation of internet platforms and services
- Taking responsibility for delivery of specific elements within the wider online/tech programme of work
- Playing a critical role in internal projects and thinking around online regulation and media and digital literacy as the international expert in a project team
- Developing your own external relationships with relevant stakeholders, and an external profile, to represent our client externally
- Working flexibly within the International Team on a range of other policy issues, as required
At present, many of the international meetings that this role will be focused on, are being held online. However, if/when physical meetings resume, this role will involve travel within and outside continental Europe.
Skills, knowledge and experience
Our client is looking for a proactive and enthusiastic individual with a can-do attitude who will thrive working as part of a diverse team and in a fast-paced environment. In particular, you will need to have:
- A genuine desire to be part of something bigger than yourself, to make a difference and be part of creating a legacy
- Expertise and practical experience of some internet and technology policy issues, and the ability to master new ones quickly
- Understanding of the UK regulatory environment and how our client's international work contributes to the achievement of its strategic objectives
- Demonstrated experience in handling a variety of stakeholders in different environments
- Strong interpersonal and diplomatic skills, including cultural awareness, so that you can establish and maintain good working relationships internally and externally, particularly with regulators and stakeholders in other countries
- An eye for the strategic implications of international political and policy developments, including the ability to spot opportunities and threats for our client's policy development
- Strong and demonstrated analytical skills, including quantitative, and the ability to cut through complex issues to see and communicate the bigger picture
- The ability to understand the political dimension to policy issues, and to make judgments balancing policy and political considerations, in a pragmatic manner, to achieve strategic objectives
- Strong project management skills, including the ability to manage a varied and demanding workload and to prioritise resources effectively in an agile manner, being flexible and adaptable to changing or ambiguous circumstances
Diversity and Inclusion
Our client is a forward-thinking, inclusive employer and recognises the value of diversity to truly "make communications work for everyone". They welcome applications from suitably qualified applicants whatever their background, especially women, disabled and Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic (BAME) candidates as they are currently underrepresented in the workforce. As a Disability Confident employer, our client guarantees to interview any disabled applicant who meets the essential selection criteria.
To apply for the role of Senior Associate, International (Internet Policy), please apply via the button shown.
This vacancy is being advertised by Webrecruit. The services advertised by Webrecruit are those of an Employment Agency.
Other organisations may call this role Senior International Policy Associate, Senior Internet Policy Associate, Senior Internet Policy Advisor, Senior Internet Policy Consultant, Lead Policy Advisor, or Senior International Policy Advisor.