|Recruiter:||UK Atomic Energy Authority|
|Listed on:||22nd September|
|Salary/Rate:||£35,486 - £51,385|
This job has now expired please search on the home page to find live IT Jobs.
Permanent, Full Time
£35,486 - £51,385 (inclusive of MPP) + excellent benefits including outstanding pension scheme
20th October 2020
Do you want to use your technical skills to make a difference to the way we produce energy? Would you relish being part of a highly motivated and technically demanding team?
RACE (Remote Applications in Challenging Environments) specialises in remote handling and automated systems within the UK Atomic Energy Authority and is at the forefront of developing fusion technology to provide a clean and sustainable energy source for future generations.
We are seeking talented and enthusiastic researchers to take responsibility for a range of research and innovation tasks within exciting new collaborative projects between the UK and Japan on nuclear decommissioning and nuclear fusion energy. You will join a team developing advanced techniques using digital twins as part of the visualisation for the operation and control of entire robotic systems for remote maintenance operations in future fusion reactors and for safe nuclear decommissioning.
We are seeking people at various stages of their career. You might have recently completed a relevant higher degree and/or you might have several years of industrial experience in the areas. We also welcome applications from high calibre graduates from good universities.
Depending on your level, you will be responsible for supporting and co-ordinating technical projects, producing designs for control systems, robotic remote handling systems and working on the design and execution of research projects relating to robotics and autonomy. With a focus on developing remote handling systems for the safe decommissioning of fission plant and the next generations of fusion power stations, this role will support the UK effort to apply novel technologies to all challenging and harsh environments for the protection of people and advancement of industry.
We offer an outstanding benefits package, including a world class pension, exciting challenges and a unique working environment.
The main responsibilities of the role will be producing software for robotic remote handling and related systems and working on the design and execution of advanced research projects. This will include:
- Taking a lead role in the design and delivery of collaborative research and innovation studies
- Supporting the specification, design, and implementation of software for robotic systems
- Acting as primary interface to internal and external collaborators on project work or areas of specific expertise
- Routinely performing business development activities including networking and writing bids
If you have excellent technical skills, and love to solve challenging problems in collaboration with like-minded people, then please apply.
At UKAEA, we strive to make everyone feel welcome and fully supported. Our Ambassadors are actively promoting and advancing diversity and inclusion in the Organisation to help make our Organisation an employer of choice. UKAEA has a graded career structure and our mentoring scheme will enable you to reach your true potential.
The UKAEA hosts and manages the JET nuclear fusion energy experiment on behalf of the EU and is also home to the UK`s MAST-U fusion energy experiment. UKAEA also works with industry and other third parties to develop new technologies currently in Remote Handling and Materials research. Following recent UK funding two new centres of excellence in tritium fuel handling and component testing and validation are being built. The culture at UKAEA promotes research, innovation and leading-edge technological excellence, whilst investing in people.
Knowledge, skills and experience
- PhD in computer science, robotics, or equivalent related qualification and experience
- Experience of leading and supervising collaborative research activities
- Good interpersonal and communication skills, and a proven ability to function as part of a team
- Knowledge and experience of Digital Twins or similar
- Experience of working in engineering
- Machine learning and Computer Vision experience
- Experience with Object Oriented Design
- Strong programming capability in C++
- A strong understanding of software engineering techniques and design principles including lifecycle, version control, documentation
- Human interaction with VR systems
- Human-Robot Interaction
- Haptic manipulation and/or telerobotics
- Planning for autonomous robotics
- 3D sensing and sensor fusion
- Automated mechanism optimisation
- Control and vibration suppression
- Experience of design and practical implementation of Graphical User Interfaces
- Knowledge of mathematical modelling and optimisation of servo systems
- Understanding of sensor fusion techniques
- Professional registration
-This work may involve some regular travel to Japan and other locations.
Selection Methods and Notes:
- As part of the selection process, you may be expected to complete work based simulation exercises and a personality profile either online or on-site.
- Please be advised that this vacancy may close earlier than stated if large or sufficient numbers of applications are received.
- APPLICATIONS ARE WELCOME FROM LESS EXPERIENCED CANDIDATES SEEKING CAREER DEVELOPMENT WHO FULFIL THE ESSENTIAL CRITERIA FOR THE ROLE ATTRACTING A SALARY RANGE OF £35,486 - £37,924 PA OR £49,208 - £51,385 PA.