Job Title: Head of Clean and Green & Leisure
Salary: £71,661 - £77,882 per annum
Job Type: Full Time, Permanent
Closing Date: 4th October 2020
Are you looking for an opportunity to apply your expertise to make a real difference?
As their new Head of Clean & Green and Leisure you will be responsible for a large team of staff delivering frontline services, including grounds maintenance, waste management and leisure.
The Council is proud of its heritage as one of the four authorities that make up the Black Country, a region recently awarded UNESCO global geopark status. Local ingenuity shaped the industrial revolution and the modern world. Their PROUD transformation programme is now shaping an exciting future for Walsall.
Main purpose of the job role:
- To provide professional leadership to services concerning Clean and Green and Leisure
- To deliver services and outcomes though service responsibilities for all Clean & Green
- Services including Waste Management, Street Cleansing, Grounds Maintenance, Countryside Service, Fleet Services, Markets
- Leisure, including Active Living Centres, Bereavement and Registration Services
- Healthy Spaces (Parks and open spaces)
- To lead and influence the strategic development and implementation of new models of service delivery and partnership to achieve agreed outcomes
- To support the Director of Place & Environment in their capacity as the Council's lead officer for Environmental policy, climate change mitigation and ensuring the Council contributes to the reduction of carbon across its full range of business
- To contribute to Walsall Proud Programme workstreams, including significant service redesigns (across the whole council, not just in professional domain)
- To collaborate with the Lead Commissioner for the delivery of any outsourced services (and/or alternative delivery models) in the portfolio of services in the role
- To maintain strong influence in relationships with neighbouring authorities and the private sector in areas relating to the services in the role
- To provide strategic leadership to the development of policy and strategy work, for example the Council's Environment strategy; Leisure strategy; Waste & Recycling strategy
- Support long-term strategies for alternative methods by which the Council can achieve its outcomes
- Maintain an up to date understanding of contemporary practice and models of delivery in place, environment and leisure outcomes and services
- To connect with professional associations and chartered institutes to reflect up to date practice
- Line Management responsibility for Group Managers (Tier 5) responsible for appropriate groupings of services.
- To guide multidisciplinary teams of professionals across the Council and beyond through a programme management approach to key projects
- Embed the Councils values and behaviours across the workforce leading by example
- Directly manage the resource allocation of employees and budget to clean and green, and leisure services
- Manage client side commissioning responsibility for alternative delivery vehicles for core services in the role, working closely with Hub colleagues and enabling/support services
- To support the coproduction of strategies and commissions together with the Hub as appropriate to the role
- To apply the income and commercial policy of the Council to all appropriate opportunities in the responsibility of the role
- Evidence of developing and maintaining good working relationships with colleagues, elected Members, and partners
- Excellent strategic and analytical skills
- The ability to combine long-term planning and short - term reactive work, and excel in both
- Attention to detail and editing skills to ensure that material published on behalf of the Council meets it exacting high standards
- Previous experience of managing contracts with external suppliers and negotiating with partners
- Experience of establishing and maintaining networks across the Council to achieve outcomes
Please click on the APPLY button to complete your application at the Council's careers page.
Candidates with experience of; Waste Management, Senior Waste Management Operative, Waste Management Executive, Grounds Maintenance Manager, Property Maintenance Services Manager, Health & Safety Manager, Building Services Manager, Property Services Manager, Facilities Management, Building Services Manager, Service Manager, Maintenance Building Control, Technical Manager, Maintenance Services Manager, Building Management Services may also be considered for this role.