This is a fantastic opportunity to come and work for a company voted 5th in the Great Place to Work (Best Large Workplaces) awards 2018, and Number 15 in Europe in 2017! We have over 450 stores, over 310 Groom Rooms and we're the UK's number one pet care business. Our business is fast-paced, innovative and fun and it's our people that make the difference.
We are looking for a Lead Application Developer. This is an exciting role for the business as we build our digital store of the future. If you have lots of experience of greenfield app development and building modern software development pipelines then we would love to hear from you.
We welcome applications from those looking to work remotely but please note that our Support Office is located in Handforth (Cheshire) and you may be required to travel to the office from time to time.
Reporting to the Head of Development, you will take technical ownership of the technologies and provide leadership to the Application team with responsibility covering:
- Technical Oversight
- Technical Team Leadership & Mentoring
- Application Design & Development
- Technology Roadmapping
- Software Development Lifecycle
- Works within the Application development team ensuring that all output of the team is fit for purpose and strategically aligned to the technical direction.
- Conducts reviews of all software design and implementations and suggests design improvements to ensure that output is efficient, maintainable and fit for purpose.
- Conducts ongoing reviews of as deployed application code and identifies areas where technical debt is present and identifies and promotes necessary corrective work streams.
Technical Team Leadership & Mentoring
- Provides support and guidance to other less experienced members of the development team, helping them to solve complex issues within the software they are developing.
- Helps other members of the team to grow and improve their technical knowledge by providing guidance and sharing knowledge with team members.
- Runs workshops and other learning sessions to grow the capability and knowledge of development both within the team and the wider Group IT and company communities.
Application Design & Development
- Actively participates in the design and development of application solutions to business problems, particularly the larger and more complex development pieces.
- Produces appropriate design documentation and clean efficient software implementations.
- Where appropriate produces re-usable components and services which can be used to develop further applications more efficiently.
- Develops and maintains a deep understanding of the Application Development technology in use at Pets at Home and in the wider Application Development community.
- Understands the trends in Application Development technology and makes appropriate recommendations for the Application technology roadmap within Pets at Home.
Software Development Lifecycle
- Plays a key role in helping to define and evolve the agile software development lifecycle and tooling used.
- Deep understanding of Android Software Development and the ecosystem and technologies in use.
- Knowledge of Software/Process/Project lifecycles with an understanding of Agile working practices.
- In depth knowledge of frameworks, patterns and practices used to develop software for Android devices.
- Experience of providing leadership and mentoring to a small technical team or significant experience as a senior member of a team.
- Customer-oriented approach and outcome focused.
- Proven experience of engaging with technical and non-technical stakeholders.
- Experience of TDD, CI and CD.
- Desirable experience of the following; Developing using Kotlin, iOS development using Swift or Objective C, introducing technology into a department or organisation, working with 3rd party organisations & stakeholders and strong organisational and multitasking skills.
- Strong technical communication with an ability to articulate visions, solutions and desired outcomes.
- Results driven with an ability to plan and organise self and others in order to achieve objectives and targets.
- Forward thinking with a flexible approach to change and able to work effectively in a variety of situations, constantly seeking improvements.
- Stakeholder Management with the ability to engage at all levels across the organisation to tackling problems and drive solutions.
- Team Mentorship, the ability to guide and grow colleagues and impart key technical knowledge and techniques to other team members.
- Ability to spot trends in technology and across the business areas and manage the introduction of technology at the right times.
- Competitive salary of up to £60,000 per annum plus bonus.
- 36 days paid annual leave (including bank holidays), rising to 38 days after two years.
- Birthday Leave - 1 day extra leave to celebrate your Birthday!
- The option to buy extra holidays.
- An extra days holiday when you become a new pet parent (Dog/Cat/Horse).
- Pension Scheme.
- Colleague Discount- 20% discount for you (plus one family member). This can be used in Pets at Home Stores, Groom Rooms, Companion Care Veterinary Services, and Pet Plan Insurance!
- "Treats" benefits- an online range of offers and discounts which are available exclusively to Pets at Home Colleagues.
- Life assurance.
- Contributory Private Health Care.
- Charity Leave- You are entitled to have one paid day's leave each year to work for your favourite animal related charity.
- Celebrating Special Celebrations? You'll get 1 extra week off and a gift to celebrate your wedding or civil partnership, and a gift from us if you are expecting or adopting a baby!
- Free Car Parking.
- Free Gym.
- Colleague of the Month Awards.
- Cycle to Work Scheme.
Closing date: 30th September 2020.
Please note that we reserve the right to close the vacancy prior to the application deadline/closing date once a sufficient number of applications have been received.
*If you haven't heard back from us within 2 weeks, please assume that unfortunately on this occasion your application has been unsuccessful*