|Listed on:||18th August|
This job has now expired please search on the home page to find live IT Jobs.
QinetiQ comprises teams of dedicated people; experts in defence, aerospace, security and related markets. We draw on our extensive technical knowledge and intellectual property to provide the know-how and support to solve some of the world's most challenging problems. Our people make the critical difference to customers by providing unique approaches to problem solving. Why don't you join some of the world's finest scientific and technical minds and help us make tomorrow work today?
Job description/Person specification
The Naval Combat Systems Integration Support Service (NCSISS) delivers the necessary integration, test, evaluation, and acceptance activities across all phases of the equipment lifecycle to support the development and delivery of operationally effective and safe Combat System capability. It enables MOD and industry to make informed decisions based on objective, credible evidence that is generated by experts in an environment which is free from supply chain conflict of interest. QinetiQ's NCSISS capability is delivered collaboratively with our partners at our Portsdown Technology Park (PTP) site where most staff are based, supported by further staff based both at our Bristol and other sites. PTP hosts various facilities which are representative of key RN naval Combat Systems and their constituent equipment and which allow defect resolution, design support, integration, test and evaluation, acceptance and interoperability activities to be undertaken.
The Synthetic Test Environment and Analysis Tools Service (STEATS) team support the NCSISS capability by providing;
* Real-time, co-ordinated synthetic stimuli to the Combat System equipment so that they may be tested and integrated in high load, complex and repeatable scenarios not affordable or achievable in peace-time conditions;
* Tools and analysis equipment and techniques to support the role of the NCSISS Combat System Engineers.
As a member of the STEATS team, you will operate within a team of system and software engineers in support of delivering the NCSISS contract. You will be required to conduct activities as directed by the STEATS team Project Manager, working in partnership with the STEATS Technical Lead to ensure a consistent approach to the design, delivery and support of our products and services in accordance with a through life management plan. We are looking for an individual who is willing and able to work in a team of system engineers contributing to the introduction and use of distributed simulation and test equipment for combat system integration environment, predominantly at PTP. However, the ability and willingness to travel to other locations in the UK and abroad to witness external supplier testing and trials will also be necessary.
* Reports to the STEATS Tools and STE Capability Leads to support them in delivering tactical data analysis tools and real-time combat system equipment simulators.
* Communicates with and keeps informed: o STEATS Technical Lead o STEATS Team Project Manager Experience and qualifications:
* Degree level expertise encompassing systems engineering, computer science, physics or similar technical discipline with post degree experience (or equivalent)
* Full professional membership of a relevant body or similar accreditation * Microsoft Office computer literate
Particular skills/experience required:
* System engineering principles and lifecycles including requirements, design and testing
* Distributed simulation technologies and standards including DIS, HLA and DDS
* Computer network architectures, protocols and analysis including client/server, TCP/IP, UDP, NTP and Wireshark
* Software development methods, processes and languages including Java, C# and scripting (Lua, PowerShell)
* Maritime combat system equipment including sensors, weapons, navigation and command systems
* Good communications skills (written, verbal and presentational); able to communicate technical issues to non-technical audiences.
* An excellent grasp of the English language including a proven ability to write clear and concise technical specifications.
* An analytical and logical mind in order to present technical issues in a methodical and understandable manner.
* Demonstrate a positive approach to continuous improvement and ownership.
For further information and to apply, please click on the apply button.