Container and Linux Engineer / Senior DevOps Engineer
The Bank for International Settlements (BIS)
This job has now expired please search on the home page to find live IT Jobs.
Contract type: Contract, duration 3 years.
About BIS - overview
Our mission is to serve central banks in their pursuit of monetary and financial stability, to foster international cooperation in those areas and to act as a bank for central banks.
Established in 1930, the BIS is owned by 62 central banks, representing countries from around the world that together account for about 95% of world GDP. Its head office is in Basel, Switzerland and it has two representative offices: in Hong Kong SAR and in Mexico City.
We pursue our mission by:
- fostering discussion and facilitating collaboration among central bank
s- supporting dialogue with other authorities that are responsible for promoting financial stability
- carrying out research and policy analysis on issues of relevance for monetary and financial stability
- acting as a prime counterparty for central banks in their financial transactions
- serving as an agent or trustee in connection with international financial operations
As part of our work in the area of monetary and financial stability, we regularly publish related analyses and international banking and financial statistics that underpin policymaking, academic research and public debate.
With regard to our banking activities, our customers are central banks and international organisations. We do not accept deposits from, or provide financial services to, private individuals or corporate entities.
Purpose of the role:
- Identify opportunities to migrate workloads to modern Serverless infrastructure and support the development of new container centric applications
- Design, implement and support container orchestration for Hybrid Cloud infrastructure
- Enable automation across modern compute workloads and integrate DevOps principles as part of technology modernisation and operations
- Develop and implement compliance and security policies, ensuring foundational controls are enforced as part of a modern CI/CD pipeline
- Provide input and guidance on microservice architecture to business units and collaborate with them on leveraging a common shared platform
- Design, implement and maintain enterprise class software and hardware in the Bank's RedHat Linux Environment
- Provide internal management, expert advice and operational experience on automation of IT infrastructure throughout the organisation, including cloud and On-Premise.
- Platform Orchestration: Implement and maintain orchestration technology for container based workloads. Integrate the platform within a Hybrid cloud environment. Integrate security controls, container scanning, and operational monitoring. Plan and implement cluster availability and manage software lifecycle.
- Container DesigN: Support business units in adopting container based approaches to application delivery. Support planning for application availability, provide templates and base container images.
- Resilience: Ensure that activities are undertaken in accordance with the Bank's high security standards in alignment with corporate policies, release and change management, and compliance. Incorporate resilience practices such that solutions are adequately protected and able to be sustained during times of adversity.
- Technology Strategy: Support the selection of technology to meet the Bank's business needs taking into account the quality of technology for hybrid cloud strategy (automation, monitoring, resilience). Lead culture change for modern computing platforms
- Agile Project Management: Apply Agile and DevOps practices within Infrastructure and Operations. Act as Scrum Master for key projects working with subject matter experts across the Bank.
- Software Engineering and Application Development: Work with development teams supporting serverless and containerised solution development. Leverage and sponsor the use of a DevOps toolchain to ensure collaboration and delivery.
Skills and qualifications:
- Deep domain expertise in container and Serverless technologies (RedHat OpenShift)
- Linux system administration and automation in an enterprise environment
- Fluency with automation tools and frameworks with demonstrated experience applying tools to improve efficiency (Ansible, Terraform)
- Demonstrated experience scripting in popular languages including Bash, Python and Perl
- Experience with DevOps practices, in particular automation and reusability as key enablers of project delivery and operations
- Experience with configuration management practices and technologies and leveraging orchestration to ensure configuration consistency
- Knowledge of IT infrastructure (Data Center and Networking) technologies to support integration of containers into a private cloud datacentre and public cloud
- Familiarity with modern authorisation concepts, including OAuth and token based authentication
- Experience building integrations and applications against common REST base API's, particularly infrastructure and core IT services like storage, cloud computing, virtualization, and networking
- Fluency with code management solutions, in particular GIT and CI/CD tools, including integrating their use in common infrastructure management and deployment tasks
- Ability to develop strategy, articulate vision and socialise concepts to realize automation benefits across IT infrastructure
- Excellent communication, presentation and team-working skills. Able to present points clearly and convincingly
Application Deadline: 16/08/2020
The BIS is fully committed to equal opportunity employment and strives for diversity among its staff.