|Recruiter:||UK Atomic Energy Authority|
|Listed on:||8th July|
|Salary/Rate:||£58,865 - £62,746|
Permanent, Full Time
£58,865 - £62,746 (inclusive of MPP) + excellent benefits including outstanding pension scheme
8th August 2020
Do you have strategic experience in managing large-scale programmes utilising MSP principles to ensure the realisation of benefits in line with organisational objectives?
Do you have an interest in working for an organisation that is developing a major new source of safe, reliable, low-carbon energy?
If so, we have a unique opportunity to join The UK Atomic Energy Authority, which is a world leader in shaping the future of the world`s energy through fusion (the process that powers the Sun). If you have experience within a programme management role (ideally within the public sector / civil service), with a strategic vision, we want to hear from you.
Based at our site in South Oxfordshire, you will be responsible for managing and delivering the Fusion Foundations Programme which is a £184m investment to provide investment in:
- Buildings and facilities for UKAEA and co-locating commercial tenants;
- Equipment and services for UKAEA and its wider user base;
- Apprentice training to provide skilled people for the growing fusion programme and in adjacent industrial sectors such as space, power engineering and robotics, both at Culham and other locations in the UK; and
- Increasing capability and capacity to underpin the growth in staff and programmes at UKAEA.
You will work with business change managers and a diverse range of senior stakeholders to deliver the tranches of the programme, ensuring the contributing projects are also managed to budget, time and cost. You will possess substantial experience in benefits management and strong leadership skills that inspire programme teams.
Reporting into the Programme Delivery Director, responsibilities will include:
- Driving the successful delivery of the programme (particularly programme definition, governance, delivery and benefits realisation)
- Promoting the clear difference between project and programme management to stakeholders across UKAEA and championing the need for robust programme governance
- Ensuring robust and consistent governance and reporting is in place (programme and underlying projects) to ensure effective management at a programme level
- Evaluating, presenting and making decisions that secure the benefits the programme is tasked to deliver, and ensuring these remain aligned to the organisation`s strategic goals
- Identifying and managing dependencies between projects that sit within the programme
UKAEA defines and delivers programmes in line with Managing Successful Programmes (MSP), therefore if you have a formal qualification or experience with this, apply below.
At UKAEA, we strive to make everyone feel welcome and fully supported. Our Ambassadors are actively promoting and advancing diversity and inclusion in the Organisation to help make our Organisation an employer of choice. UKAEA has a graded career structure and our mentoring scheme will enable you to reach your true potential.
The UKAEA hosts and manages the JET nuclear fusion energy experiment on behalf of the EU and is also home to the UK`s MAST-U fusion energy experiment. UKAEA also works with industry and other third parties to develop new technologies currently in Remote Handling and Materials research. Following recent UK funding, two new centres of excellence in tritium fuel handling and component testing and validation are being built. The culture at UKAEA promotes research, innovation and leading edge technological excellence, whilst investing in people.
Knowledge, skills and experience
- Professional Project Management or Programme Management qualification (e.g. Managing Successful Programmes (MSP) or a proven track record)
- Chartered status in a relevant discipline
- Track record of leading and delivering complex programmes to budget, time and cost as well as co-ordinating the delivery of the associated projects
- Proven experience of benefits realisation
- Strong commercial awareness with the ability to make sound economic decisions that maximise value
- Experience of financial management of significant (£Ms) programme budgets
- Good background knowledge and understanding of fusion science and/or technology and engineering
- Programme management within the public sector
- A member of the Project Delivery Capability Framework; and has experience of BEIS and Cabinet Office Governance
Selection Methods and Notes:
- As part of the selection process, you may be expected to complete work based simulation exercises and a personality profile either online or onsite.
- Please be advised that this vacancy may close earlier than stated if large or sufficient numbers of applications are received.
-Please note, UKAEA do not pay travel expenses for interviews.
- The UK Atomic Energy Authority actively promotes equality and values diversity in our workforce. We operate a number of flexible working arrangements (such as part-time working/job share/home working). Flexible working may be available with this role.
- Please note, all employees working at the UK Atomic Energy Authority will be required to complete an online Disclosure Certificate application as part of their clearance - The Disclosure & Barring Service (DBS) checks will show the details of all current criminal convictions (convictions considered unspent under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974) or will confirm that there are no such convictions.
Contact Name: UK Atomic Energy Authority
Job ID: 2837762