Lead Infrastructure Engineer
Job title: Lead Infrastructure Engineer
Team: Infrastructure and Operations
Centre/Directorate: Digital Information & Technology
Terms & conditions: Agenda for Change
Pay band: 8A (£45,753 - £51,668)
Contract: Permanent 37.5 hours per week
Accountable to: Associate Director Infrastructure and Operations
Responsible for: Infrastructure Engineer
The Digital, Information and Technology (DIT) directorate is a 70 strong team of digital, information management and technology professionals. Our digital teams adopt a user centric agile methodology and work in multi-disciplinary teams (MDT's) with analytics and insight to develop and maintain NICE's suite of digital and technology services. We are playing a key role in the implementation of NICE's digital transformation programme.
The teams in DIT design, develop and maintain NICE's suite of externally facing digital services including the NICE's website, Pathways, Clinical Knowledge Summaries, BNF and Evidence Search which together attract more than 2 million users a month.
The directorate is also responsible for NICE's internal guidance production systems including content management, authoring and publishing systems, with a view to generate internal efficiencies and to ensure NICE takes advantage of digital innovations arising across the health and care landscape, such as machine learning and data science. As such DIT has a key role to play in keeping NICE's guidance relevant, high-quality, up-to-date, and accessible.
DIT is also responsible for IT operations and support, including networking, infrastructure, DevOps, and unified user support, in addition to leading the implementation of new digital workplace solutions to boost operational productivity at NICE.
About the role
As the Lead infrastructure engineer you will work with infrastructure services that underpin all NICE internal user services and services to the public. Working in a team of infrastructure specialists and engineers, you will build, administer, support, and maintains solutions as directed and according to directorate policy. You will work with third party provision of infrastructure services and the provide expertise to develop architectural solutions for infrastructure services throughout the service product life cycle.
Our core Infrastructure primarily covers Office365, Active Directory, on premise Servers (Windows & Linux), Virtualisation (VMware and Azure) and data storage. You will be a subject matter expert in Office365, Exchange online and all aspects of messaging and collaboration.
The role is responsible for ensuring services are highly available and configured according to industry best practices. It also extends to provisioning and building new infrastructure as part of both new technology initiatives and refreshes.
You will thrive using agile methods and enjoy working openly, collaboratively and as part of a multidisciplinary team.
We will give you the opportunity to develop yourself technically and professionally.
As a Lead Infrastructure Engineer, you'll:
- ensure services are integrated, delivered, and operated as required
- work with and support third parties in providing infrastructure services
- work with technical engineers to translate architectural designs into operations
- provide input into overall management - workforce, budget, technology roadmaps, projects, and tasks
- design systems characterised by medium levels of risk, impact, and business or technical complexity.
- explain the technical concepts required in the role and understand how these fit into the wider technical landscape
- break a problem down into its component parts to identify and diagnose root causes.
- use a modern standard approach competently and guide others in so doing
- anticipate and advise on future technology changes that present opportunities for the product or programme.
- review the systems designs of others to ensure selection of appropriate technology, efficient use of resources and integration of multiple systems and technology.
- take accountability of issues that occur and are proactive in searching for potential problems. You achieve excellent user outcomes
- understand information security and can design solutions and services with security controls embedded, specifically engineered as mitigation against security threats as a core part of the solutions and services.
- provide technical expertise and input into policies, guidance, and governance forums
- contribute to problem solving discussions at cross-department technical and enterprise architecture forums, identifying best-fit solutions
- be comfortable with presenting and leading workshops with other technical staff and business stakeholders to identify needs and solutions
- Support Head of Web Operations in business continuity planning, disaster recovery management, risk assessment and mitigation to cyber, data and security threats
- Support Head of Web Operations in the prioritisation and sequencing of the infrastructure technology roadmap
- The post holder may be required undertake any other duties at the request of the line manager which are commensurate with the role, including project work, absence cover or new initiatives
Relevant degree in a computer science or information technology field or equivalent level of knowledge gained through experience and further training/development.
Knowledge and skills
- Significant expertise with PowerShell
- Significant expertise and knowledge of Windows Server 2012/2016/2019
- Significant expertise and knowledge of Active Directory and associated services (ADFS, DHCP, DNS, Group policy, WSUS, LDAP)
- Significant expertise and knowledge of Azure AD and Microsoft Exchange 2016 / Online
- In-depth working knowledge of Microsoft platforms with a focus on Intune, Active Directory and Windows networking up to enterprise class.
- Significant expertise and knowledge of Email security
- Strong Knowledge of Office 365 support technologies including but not limited to Azure AD Connect, Active Directory Federation Services (ADFS), Azure Active Directory, Conditional Access Policies
- Demonstrable knowledge in the area of network security, ideally supported with formal certifications / qualifications.
- Experience of SMTP routing, Active Directory/LDAP, DNS, Mail Routing, Exchange and SMTP Troubleshooting and Patch Management
- Experience of Exchange RBAC model, Exchange PowerShell API and its uses.
- Experience and working knowledge with Microsoft Azure Infrastructure as a Service platform, including planning, configuration, optimisation and deployment
- Experience of undertaking options appraisals / feasibility studies to evaluate and identify fit for purpose solutions.
- Experience of working with service management tools to manage changes, incidents, problems, and requests.
- Experience with Legacy systems and migrations
- Previous experience working in a team of infrastructure engineers to deliver a first-class service.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong critical, analytical, and problem-solving abilities
- Keen and self-motivated learner
- Good team player and able to motivate within a team
- Self-directed and pro-active attitude
Knowledge and skills
- Knowledge and understanding of the Microsoft Azure ecosystem
- Knowledge of VMware virtualisation platform
- Knowledge of VMware VDI
- Knowledge of Linux including Ubuntu, CentOS, Debian and Suse.
- Experience configuring office telecommunications
- Experience working in the Health and Social Care Sector, or as a digital professional in government
Ready to get started?
We are happy to receive your application through the "Apply" button!