Job description: Infrastructure Engineer
Job title: Infrastructure Engineer
Team: Digital Information and Technology
Centre/Directorate: Evidence Resources
Terms & conditions: Agenda for Change
Pay band: Band 7 £38,890 - £44,503
Contract: Permanent 37.5 hours per week
Accountable to: Lead Infrastructure Engineer.
This role does not currently involve line management.
The Digital, Information and Technology (DIT) directorate is a 70 strong team of digital, information management and technology professionals. Our digital teams adopt a user centric agile methodology and work in multi-disciplinary teams (MDT's) with analytics and insight to develop and maintain NICE's suite of digital and technology services. We are playing a key role in the implementation of NICE's digital transformation programme.
The teams in DIT design, develop and maintain NICE's suite of externally facing digital services including the NICE's website, Pathways, Clinical Knowledge Summaries, BNF and Evidence Search which together attract more than 2 million users a month.
The directorate is also responsible for NICE's internal guidance production systems including content management, authoring and publishing systems, with a view to generate internal efficiencies and to ensure NICE takes advantage of digital innovations arising across the health and care landscape, such as machine learning and data science. As such DIT has a key role to play in keeping NICE's guidance relevant, high-quality, up-to-date, and accessible.
DIT is also responsible for IT operations and support, including networking, infrastructure, DevOps and unified user support, in addition to leading the implementation of new digital workplace solutions to boost operational productivity at NICE.
About the role
As an infrastructure engineer you will work with infrastructure services that underpin all NICE internal user services and services to the public. Working in a team of infrastructure specialists and engineers, you will build, administer, support, and maintain solutions as directed and according to directorate policy. You will work with third party provision of infrastructure services and provide expertise to support infrastructure services.
Our core infrastructure primarily covers Office 365, Active Directory, on premise Windows and Linux Servers, VMware and Azure virtualisation and data storage.
The role is responsible for supporting highly available services configured according to industry best practices. It also extends to provisioning and building new infrastructure as part of both new technology initiatives and refreshes.
You will thrive using agile methods and enjoy working openly, collaboratively and as part of a multidisciplinary team.
We will give you the opportunity to develop yourself technically and professionally.
As an Infrastructure Engineer, you will:
- Help ensure services are integrated, delivered, and operated as required.
- Be responsible for the maintenance, configuration, and operation of computer systems, network servers and virtualization.
- Install and manage hardware and software, manage virtual servers, and integrate automation processes.
- Maintain dependable IT infrastructure and networking that is always available.
- Troubleshoot hardware and software problems by running diagnostics, prioritising, and assessing the impact of issues, and documenting problems and resolutions.
- Perform regular backup operations and implement processes for data protection, failover, and disaster recovery procedures.
- Perform network and storage capacity planning, reviews, and performance monitoring.
- You will be a continual learner, keeping up to date with modern infrastructure, technology, standards, and techniques.
- Contribute to the Operations community of practise by sharing knowledge and skills.
- Act as a digital ambassador for NICE and Digital Services by sharing experiences through blog posts and engaging with the wider Digital IT community.
- Work independently, having a high level of discipline to manage and take ownership of technical issues.
- Be able to analyse complex technical problems and advise appropriate solutions, given sometimes conflicting requirements.
- Be able to focus and concentrate on solving complex problems, sometimes for prolonged periods of time.
- Be able to communicate highly complex technical issues and risks to non-technical business stakeholders external to the team, both verbally and in writing.
- Support the Lead Infrastructure Engineer to build the security of new and existing infrastructure to protect information from unauthorised access, disclosure, disruption, modification, or destruction.
- Be able to influence senior technical managers regarding the architecture and systems, often involving highly complex technical negotiations at team meetings and the cross-department architecture forum.
- Be able to handle sensitive negotiations around change in scope and handling shifting priorities.
- Sometimes helping with the recruitment of technical staff including sifting and interviewing.
Relevant degree in a computer science field or equivalent level of knowledge gained through experience and further training/development.
Certification of Microsoft Enterprise OR Microsoft Systems.
Knowledge and skills
- Operational management of Windows and Linux servers, delivering a secure, and reliable environment.
- Operational management of physical servers and storage arrays.
- Strong working knowledge of networking hardware, software, and protocols.
- Strong expertise and knowledge of Windows Server 2012 / 2016 / 2019.
- Management of Exchange Server 2016 / Online.
- A good understanding of network security, practices, and configuration.
- Good expertise and knowledge of Active Directory and associated services such as Active Directory Federation Services (ADFS), DHCP, DNS, Group policy, WSUS, LDAP
- Good knowledge of Office 365 support technologies including but not limited to Azure AD Connect, ADFS, Azure Active Directory, Conditional Access Policies.
- Knowledge of Windows Deployment Services
- Good expertise and knowledge of Powershell.
- Significant experience of Active Directory administration, group policy management, DHCP, DNS, always on VPN, DFS and authentication.
- Experience with SQL Server 2012 / 2016 and always on availability groups.
- Experience with scripting and automation tools.
- Good experience configuring anti-malware, intrusion detection and vulnerability scanning systems.
- Experienced in debugging complex server infrastructure in a high availability environment.
- Experience with Microsoft Azure infrastructure as a service platform and hybrid infrastructure.
- Experience with legacy systems and migrations.
- Previous experience working in a team of infrastructure engineers to deliver a first-class service.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong critical, analytical, and problem-solving abilities.
- Keen and self-motivated learner.
- Good team player and able to motivate within a team.
- Self-directed and pro-active attitude
Knowledge and skills
- Knowledge of VMware virtualisation.
- Knowledge of VMware VDI management.
- Knowledge of Linux including Ubuntu, CentOS, Debian and Suse.
- Knowledge of Fortinet and Checkpoint firewall systems and configuration.
- Knowledge of monitoring and logging solutions.
- An understanding of Infrastructure as Code.
- Experience configuring office telecommunications.
- Experience of working in the Health and Social Care Sector, or as a digital professional in government.
Interested in this position?
We are happy to get in touch with you! You can send your application by using the "Apply" button.