esure have a fantastic opportunity for a Technical Lead to join our IT department. This is a full time permanent position, based in our Reigate office.
The successful candidate will be responsible for the technical development of one or more of esures' products and leading the team of developers working on that product.
You will be working in a cross functional agile team and work closely with product managers and architects to ensure our products are both meeting business needs whilst also moving in the right technical direction.
- Accountable for the technical development and quality assurance of one or more of esures' products.
- Designing and building digital and technical products to meet the needs of esures' customers and internal staff
- Support Product Managers and Delivery Managers in producing roadmaps and estimates.
- Ensuring that the team has the right mix of technical skills and resources to support the allocated products from both and development and support viewpoint.
- Managing a group of developers and ensure they are all aligned to the technical direction of the product and working well as a team.
- Ensure teams are able to work effectively by having a productive working environment.
- To recruit additional team members where necessary in line with esure processes.
- Coaching these developers and taking responsibility for developing their capabilities and careers.
- Lead by example by building digital and technical products (50% of your time should be coding).
- Implementing APIs to technical products to enable internal and external use
- Building up a useful, robust automated test suite to support a continuous deployment environment.
- Working with product managers and architects to define the technical direction for the products you are supporting
- Taking part in 2nd-line support of applications and platforms, including occasional support outside of office hours
- Promote the adoption of Agile within the technical teams for use in delivery projects and support tasks.
- Management and coaching of technical staff
- Strong experience building server-side applications and detailed knowledge of the relevant programming languages for your stack
- Strong experience of database programming, ideally with the relevant database technologies for your stack
- Technical design skills and previous responsibility for the technical direction of products you've worked on
- Good estimation skills and able to communicate technical concepts to a non-technical audience
- Experience working on technical projects within a cross functional team
- Experience of implementing code quality practices in teams such as continuous integration, unit testing and peer reviews
- Working knowledge of unix-like operating systems such as Linux
- Strong knowledge of the use of version control systems such as subversion or git
- Proven ability to quickly research and learn new programming tools and techniques
- Experience of building and scaling high-traffic websites or mission critical line of business systems
- 33 days annual leave (including bank holidays), rising with length of service
- Festive Bonus
- Annual bonus, part of profit share scheme
- Refer a friend scheme, up to £1,000
- Employee discounts on esure products
- Opportunities for career progression
- Contributory Pension
- Life Assurance
- Long Service Awards
- Employee Assistance Programme