Network Technology - Technology Advisor
21st May 2020
This job has now expired please search on the home page to find live IT Jobs.
Network Technology - Technology Advisor
Our client's Technology Team are responsible for the Connected Nations report. This annual report gathers information about coverage of fixed and mobile services from providers across the UK to help inform consumers and policy makers about the availability of communications services. They also publish two updates a year.
There are a growing number of communications providers of different sizes, some that have services across much of the UK and others that might have a network that serves a small community. The services are also provided across a variety of network technologies, such as fixed, mobile and other wireless technologies. Our client uses their formal powers to request this information from these communications providers.
Purpose of the Role
The Technology Advisor will be supporting the rest of the Connected Nations data team in liaising with stakeholders for the collection of data about their network coverage. These networks most commonly use full fibre or fixed wireless access technologies.
Support is likely to be needed at all stages of the process, from the initial contact with stakeholders to verifying the accuracy of the data once the data has been submitted. You will also need to liaise with colleagues across the organisation to ensure that the data collection approach is consistent with our client's other work on modelling network coverage.
Requirements of the Role
As a Technology Advisor, you will be expected to:
- Maintain an understanding of how communications providers are deploying their networks, using both fixed and wireless technologies, specifically:
- Fixed Networks - approach to roll out in rural areas and how this affects claimed network coverage
- Fixed Wireless Access - the equipment and spectrum used by Wireless Internet Service Providers (WISPs) and the impact on the performance of the network
- Support other colleagues in the project team to ensure that the analysis is an accurate representation of the technical capabilities of the network
- Work with other colleagues across the organisation to ensure that the approach selected is consistent with our client's other work
- Represent our client in technical discussions with stakeholders
- Be a good team player to collaborate with the other members of the project team, particularly on the data handling
Skills, knowledge and experience
- Strong written and oral communications skills, working with a range of audiences
- Technical expertise in at least one of fixed (full fibre) or fixed wireless technologies
- Accuracy and attention to detail
- Being proactive
- Ability to effectively prioritise workload and react to changing priorities
- Appreciation of our client's values of excellence, agility, empowerment and collaboration
- Some experience of working with data and data analysis
- Experience of using Microsoft Office - Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint
Degree/higher level education in Communications Engineering or relevant work experience.
- Ability to apply technical knowledge to a wide range of projects and communicating outcomes to non-technical audiences
- Ability to work with other project team members, from a variety of backgrounds, understanding their needs and to ask pertinent questions and challenge input
- Ability to constructively challenge the approach of internal and external stakeholders to ensure that the modelling approach and data provided is robust
- Demonstrates sensitivity when handling commercially sensitive data
To apply for the role of Technology Advisor, please apply via the button shown.
This vacancy is being advertised by Webrecruit. The services advertised by Webrecruit are those of an Employment Agency.
Other organisations may call this role Data Analyst, Analyst, Insight Analyst, Data Project Co-ordinator, Project Officer, or Data Project Officer.