Senior Software Engineer
£60000 - £60000
This job has now expired please search on the home page to find live IT Jobs.
Senior Software Engineer
Buckfastleigh, Devon (with remote working options)
Up to £60,000 per annum DOE Plus Benefits
About Our Client
As the UK’s largest independent producer of organic veg boxes, you can imagine that our client are no ordinary e-commerce company. They deliver to more than 50,000 households every week, and run 3 farms, 2 pack houses, a butchery, a vegetable wholesaler and a restaurant! Every part of their company is enabled through technology, from the PDAs out on the fields, to their website, picking lines and mobile apps. They are extraordinarily passionate about their products, the ethics they demand of themselves in their supply, and the attention to detail they take in their delivery.
Our client’s high expectations are rewarded by getting to be part of a fantastic business with amazing benefits. They are based in some of the most beautiful countryside in the world, in a modern solar-powered office with all the best start-up trimmings: good coffee, organic home-cooked breakfasts and lunches, top-end hardware and obviously an arcade machine. They are employee owned, and all co-owners share the profits, because they believe everyone should succeed together. When was the last time you heard birdsong while working? Walked down a path and saw the wildlife while having a go/no go meeting? Ate poached egg on toast during a review session? Chatted with a stakeholder over an organic beer? This is life with our client.
What our client expects from a Senior Software Engineer
As a Senior Software Engineer and co-owner (our client became employee owned in 2018), you will be a key member of the team, leading the development of both customer-facing and back office software. Our client’s wide variety of projects range from custom apps and websites to back office systems and third-party integrations.
You will take a considered approach to development and be responsible for software excellence. Our client expects candidates to be confident in analysing requirements, talking to users and stakeholders to understand what they need, and to take cost/benefit into consideration when making decisions.
They expect that you will have a good understanding of computer science fundamentals - and can identify when prior work has already been done on a problem. You will be capable of debugging and correcting defects, as well as testing to ensure defects are less likely.
Our client works in an agile manner, releasing often, so good continuous integration practices and automated testing is a must. You should feel comfortable working with and mentoring others, and improving quality through considerate, respectful code review.
Remote working is possible for this role, with a minimum of 5 days on-site in Wash Barn, Devon every two months. This would be timed to correspond with our other remote workers so that our client can spend the time building the team as well as the software.
Skills and experience:
- Clojure experience is highly desirable, other JVM languages are also desirable.
- Expert understanding of the JVM, its library ecosystem and tooling.
- Strong understanding of SQL Databases. Our client uses MySQL and SQL Server.
- Computer science fundamentals, data structures, time and space complexity.
- Architecture fundamentals able to reduce complexity, understand concurrency, understand distribution.
- Automated testing experience. Our client automates integration, acceptance and unit tests. They use selenium and appium to test their UIs.
- Version control experience, our client uses git.
- AWS experience is highly desirable, our client hosts on AWS and leverage many of its services. Familiarity in writing tooling against AWS APIs is desirable.
- You’ll be very capable of solving problems and communicating them to both technical and non-technical people.
- You have a good amount of experience in commercial software development, working with teams, full stack development and integrating disparate systems.
- You will have a history of delivering architectural decisions on the projects you have worked on and will be comfortable describing the real business value behind those decisions.
Other organisations may call this role Lead Software Engineer, Senior Software Developer, Software Development Manager, Software Development Team Manager, or Lead Application Developer.
What you get
Our client rewards their co-owners over and above the norm. They offer a working environment unlike any other and we are constantly improving. That said, here are the usual suspects:
- Matched contributory pension
- 33 days’ holiday including Bank Holidays
- 25% off all our client’s stunning ethical organic food
- Discounts with local partners
- Heavily subsidised, home-cooked organic breakfast and lunch
- 10% of gross profits are shared with the co-owners (tax free)
- Free grade-out organic fruit and veg
- Amazing organic coffee selections; morning espresso to stay-late cafetières
- BIG summer and winter parties, along with all year get-togethers
- Multiple screens and any software you need
- 10% training time and £1,000 contribution each year
The closing date for applications is the 28th February 2020.
To apply for the role of Senior Software Engineer, please apply via the button shown. This vacancy is being advertised by Webrecruit. The services advertised by Webrecruit are those of an Employment Agency.