Software Specialist: Core/Visualisation
Location: Newcastle, GB
Contract Type: Permanent
Posted Date: 24-Jan-2020
We are a world class research-intensive university. We deliver teaching and learning of the highest quality. We play a leading role in economic, social and cultural development of the North East of England. Attracting and retaining high-calibre people is fundamental to our continued success.
If you are interested in a role that has an additional focus on the area of developing and delivering data visualisations to enhance collaborative projects, animate the Catalyst building and contribute to learning materials for the NICD community then please apply here.
If you are looking for a role that has more of a focus on the area of developing and delivering learning materials on data science for activities and events that can raise awareness, educate and support the NICD community then please apply here.
Salary: £30,942.00 - £32,817.00
The position of Software Specialist for the National Innovation Centre for Data (NICD) plays a vital role in supporting the Centre's technical effort. The post holder is responsible for contributing to and assisting with the delivery of technical projects and is expected to proactively collaborate with client organisations, supporting the use of relevant technologies and helping to transfer the relevant skills into the organisation.
The role has an additional focus on the area of developing and delivering learning materials on data science for activities and events that can raise awareness, educate and support the NICD community.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Responsible for supporting the delivery of NICD projects, helping to develop and support collaborating client organisations by assisting in the transfer of technical skills.
- Actively participate in NICD project reviews with the aim of selecting technically feasible projects with the potential to transform organisations.
- Contribute to the selection and use of NICD software and data infrastructure, including technologies for version control, continuous integration, deployment and code review.
- Collaborate with clients to develop appropriate technical solutions to business problems relating to data.
- Provide advice and assistance to clients and colleagues in problem-solving relating to NICD activities.
- Present work and provide updates, including the effective communication of complex or technical information, at project meetings and events.
- Provide training and support for NICD technical staff and client collaborators to ensure effective use of relevant technologies.
- Explore commonalities between NICD projects to learn from engagements in order to create repeatable processes.
- Represent NICD and disseminate information about NICD and its work at national and international events.
- Contribute to learning and development at NICD through the research, development and delivery of relevant learning materials for activities and events that educate and support the NICD community.
- Maintain and develop knowledge through training and development activities to keep abreast of the latest/most relevant technologies.
- Any other duties within the scope and general nature of the grade which may be required.
- MSc (or higher award) in computing science or a closely related discipline. (Essential)
- PhD award (or nearing completion) computing science or a closely related discipline. (Desirable)
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Software development experience in a commercial or research environment. (Essential)
- Experience in one or more of the following areas: Machine Learning / Data analytics, Maths/Statistics, Data pre-processing and cleaning, Data visualisation. (Essential)
- Excellent communication skills including the ability to present complex or technical information and the ability to work with others to understand technical and user requirements. (Essential)
- Understanding of a range of data analytics methods and tools. (Essential)
- Understanding of software development tools and methodologies, including programming languages, documentation, testing, version control, issue tracking, and continuous integration. (Essential)
- Ability to manage own work, including planning and execution. (Essential)
- Experience of developing and delivering learning materials in science-based subjects. (Essential)
- Experience of working in wide variety of application domains. (Desirable)
- Experience with commercial data exploration tools, e.g. PowerBI, Tableau, Alteryx, Qlik Analytics, Agile methodologies. (Desirable)
- Experience of Cloud Computing. (Desirable)
- Experience in one or more of the following areas: Software development (Web development (HTML, JS, CSS), Server development (e.g. Java, Python, .Net), Database administration (RDBMS, NoSQL)), DevOps (CI, containerisation, build tools). (Desirable)
- Cross-organisation collaboration on software development projects. (Desirable)
For more information, please click the Apply Now button!
Contact Name: Newcastle University
Job ID: 2788166