IT Technology Consultant
ScottishPower is part of the Iberdrola Group, one of the world's largest integrated utility companies and a world leader in wind energy. ScottishPower is the first integrated energy company in the UK to generate 100% green electricity. Our focus is on wind energy, smart grids and driving the change to a cleaner, electric future and we're investing over £4m every working day to make this happen. We're committed to speeding up the transition to cleaner electric transport, improving air quality and over time, driving down bills.
IT forms part of our Corporate functions that is responsible for providing support services for all other ScottishPower businesses. We know people are central to building a better future, quicker and we are seeking new talent to join our team.
The role sits within the IT function reporting to the Network and Communications Manager. As a Technology Consultant in the Network and Communications team, you will be focused on the application of technology-specific and project/change delivery expertise to ensure the successful design, deployment, operation, maintenance and decommissioning of Network IT Assets in line with Iberdrola Group standards and policies.
The fundamental objective of this role is the establishment and delivery of plans that will lead to the acceptance, implementation, maintenance (according to the agreed refresh policies) and decommissioning of specific Network related hardware and software assets in support of the broader architectural vision across the Iberdrola Group.
As Technology Consultant, you will be required to have cross knowledge platform experience weighted specifically around Networks and Communications covering all Telecommunications related technologies. This includes voice and data communications, LAN/WAN, Data Centre, Network Security, Software Defined Networking, remote access and voice. Knowledge of other infrastructure technologies is beneficial.
- Standards Definition - definition, communication and education on appropriate technical standards within the relevant technology domain.
- Design - leading and approving the design of solutions within the relevant domain, ensuring compliance with Group standards and direction.
- Project Definition - development of business cases that define the costs, benefits and delivery approach for a project, leading to approval for mobilisation.
- Project Delivery - managing the project lifecycle to ensure successful completion, with effective stakeholder communication throughout.
- Supplier Management - developing and maintaining relationships with suppliers and supervising the delivery of services from them to ensure on-time, on-budget performance.
- Technical Support - providing technical expertise to assist with the resolution of escalated operational problems and restoration of service to customers.
- Change Management - planning and supervising changes to the IT estate, in accordance with the Change Management process, as required by operational or upgrade requirements.
- Capacity Planning - maintaining the IT estate and ensuring that all known factors affecting future performance are addressed through plans for upgrades, enhancements, etc.
- Technical input to architectural planning - utilising relevant expertise to ensure that architectural plans and budgets reflect the activities and investment required to move from the current state to the desired state.
- Technical support for Procurement activities - utilising technical expertise to ensure that products or services being procured meet the required technical standards and contract Management - establishing, maintaining and terminating contracts to ensure that ScottishPower is at all times receiving value for money for the products and services provided.
Skills and Requirements
- IT projects delivery experience, preferably related to network and communication infrastructure projects.
- Basic knowledge across a broad range of technologies, including voice and data networking, internet technologies, mainframe and server platforms, operating systems, database management systems, desktop systems, email, directory services, data centre and comms room management.
- Supplier and contract management experience.
- Proven track record of delivery that balances technical and commercial judgement.
- Deep knowledge of communications vendor products, Cisco, Checkpoint, Palo Alto, Citrix, Radware, Oracle SBC, Infoblox and Bluecoat.
- In depth knowledge of Network Security, including NAC and Encryption technologies together with network visibility and intelligence products.
- Knowledge of specialist Telecommunications areas, including Contact Centre, SCADA and Internet environments.
- Knowledge of Network & Communications environments, including Data, IPT Voice and Security.
- Good technology solutions design experience in Enterprise Data Center, SDN, SD-WAN and Cloud Connectivity.
- Understanding of network automation, tooling and development using tools and scripting languages such as Ansible and Python
- Excellent communication skills and able to operate at both a technical and senior managerial level.
- Business understanding of the Energy and Utility market so as to be able to provide solutions to complex business problems for areas of responsibility.
- Influencing of colleagues, both in Spain and the UK will be an important aspect of the job and the role holder must be able to demonstrate an inter-personal style that strikes a good balance between being collaborative and direct/determined.
- Networking with peers and business IT suppliers will be an essential ingredient to this job to ensure that technology decisions are based on a range of information sources.
- Working within an UK wide and international team, oral and/or written skills in Spanish would be desirable but as a minimum there must be a willingness to learn Spanish.
- Coupled with this, a flexible attitude to work and a desire to work with Iberdrola colleagues in Spain is also required.
To be successful in a role you will need to demonstrate as minimum:
- Significant experience of Technology Lifecycle in a mobile, virtualised client environment coupled with in-depth experience of traditional end user workplace environments.
- Significant IT experience gained from working in a number of Client Service based roles.
- Record of academic achievement, including some form of recognised qualification from further education, such as a degree.
- Good oral and written communication skills.
- Numerate and able to deal with finances for the purposes of managing budgets or contracts with suppliers.
What we offer
This is a Permanent contract. Salary for this role will be from £47,600 per annum. Other benefits for this role include a performance related bonus up to 10% and Single Cover Private Health Care.
As part of our commitment to a supportive and inclusive place to work, we recognise that our employees have different personal circumstances and want a suitable work-life balance. We are working hard to support flexible and alternative ways of working where possible including: Flexible Working, Shared Parental Leave, Career Breaks, Wellbeing / Employee Assistance Programme. You will also have access to our flexible benefits programme where you can decide what is important for you.
‘Happy to talk flexible working'
Our Selection Process
- Competency Based Interview, Technical Questions and Presentation.
- Competencies: Achieving Results and Continuous Improvement (level 3); Communication and Influencing (level 3); Teamwork (level 3); Innovation and Creativity (level 3); Initiative (level 3)
- Closing date: 25th of November 2019
- Candidates must be willing to travel, including international travel, for work purposes.