9th October 2019
Competitive + benefits
Competitive + benefits
This job has now expired please search on the home page to find live IT Jobs.
EUROCONTROL's role is to support European aviation by delivering - to Member States and a wide spectrum of stakeholders - technical excellence and civil-military expertise across the full spectrum of air traffic management.
Within the Directorate Maastricht Upper Area Control Centre, the Airspace, Capacity and Environment team, part of the MUAC/Engineering/Air Traffic Management Systems Service, is responsible for the maintenance and development of tools which support MUAC in achieving its capacity targets and sustain the growing air traffic demand. In addition, it provides resources to various projects in its area of expertise.
You will perform the following tasks under the responsibility of your superior:
To analyse requirements in close collaboration with the operational experts, evaluate, identify and design innovative software solutions to satisfy business needs;
To develop in frequent iterations functional prototypes with visually appealing man-machine interfaces;
To explore, investigate and prove the applicability of complex algorithms and mathematical techniques in solving Air Traffic Control (ATC)-related problems;
To produce complex technical papers and specifications and contribute to safety and security assessments;
To manage software development work packages, including effort estimation, planning and implementation;
To coach and train other engineers on relevant technical matters;
To demonstrate to the operational users the prototyped solutions and incorporate their feedback in the next iterations;
To participate in working groups and studies related to Air Traffic Control automation.
Required qualifications, experience & competencies
Completed university studies of at least 3 years in Computer Science or an equivalent engineering domain with keen interest (e.g. thesis, electives) in algorithms, mathematics, artificial intelligence, SW development or other innovative programming. Holding a master degree would be an asset.
Experience in rapid prototyping of highly-interactive man-machine interfaces and complex algorithms, preferably in a Unix environment.
Experience of : - java, mysql, relational databases, 2D graphics, mobile development and security, message queueing.
Experience with A.I. solutions would be considered an asset.
Understanding or knowledge of agile and DevOps methodologies and tools.
Understanding of Air Traffic Management system.
Analytical thinking: analyses information and identifies relationships.
Problem-solving: anticipates and solves business issues.
Creativity and innovation: applies new approaches.
Communication: fosters two-way communication.
Team work: fosters team work.
Ability to work in a multinational and multicultural environment.
Professional conduct in line with the corporate behaviours of the Agency, i.e. result-driven, readiness to change, customer focus, integrity and team-player approach.
The working languages of the Agency are English and French. For this particular post, thorough knowledge of English (oral and written) and satisfactory knowledge of the other language to the extent necessary for the performance of the described duties are required.
- Applications will be accepted from nationals of EUROCONTROL Member States only.
- At the closing date of the notice of competition, internal candidates must have completed their probationary period.
- The selected candidate will be offered a contract of 3 Year(s) pursuant to the provisions of the Conditions of Employment of Contract Staff at EUROCONTROL. The contract may be renewed. Before being established in the post, he/she will be requested to provide certified copies of his/her degrees and successfully serve a probationary period of 9 months.
- The successful candidate shall be appointed in principle at the basic grade of the advertised grades.
- In case of reserve list: Suitable candidates, however not selected to fill the post, will be placed on a reserve list for similar functions. The period of validity of reserve list is 1 year from the approval of the selection board's recommendations.
- EUROCONTROL is committed to non-discrimination and equal opportunities. We welcome applications from all qualified candidates, irrespective of gender, age, disability, race, colour, ethnic or social origin, religion or belief, marital or parental status and sexual orientation.
In the event of equal merit, preference may be given to the applicant from to the under-represented diversity characteristics.
- Candidates should go to our Jobs website and read the tips on how to apply. Item 1 includes information on the EUROCONTROL competency models (technical & behavioural) - Candidates should refer to the behavioural competency model to know the behaviours expected for the different levels.
Closing date: 31/10/2019