|Recruiter:||British Antarctic Survey|
|Listed on:||7th August|
|Salary Notes:||Generous benefits|
|Contact Name:||British Antarctic Survey|
Web Developer - Cambridge
BASE: Cambridge (opportunities for short-term working in Antarctica may arise)
The British Antarctic Survey are looking for an innovative Web Developer to lead and contribute to the Survey's Web Development during an exciting time of organisational change. The role will require you to develop and implement internal and external web based systems that support and enable BAS' scientific, administrative and operational functions. You will be required to disseminate scientific data and information through continual development of our existing platforms as well as to help identify new technologies to improve accessibility and interoperability of scientific data when relevant. This is a dynamic role with development opportunities through a large variety of projects.
We are advertising the post at two levels - band D or band E. To be eligible for employment at band E, you will need extensive demonstrable experience of web application development within a previous role and experience of leading complex projects, managing staff and/or coaching or mentoring others. Please state in your application whether you are applying for the post at band D or band E.
To develop and implement internal and external web based systems that support and enable BAS' administrative and operational functions as well as disseminating scientific data and information. This will be achieved through continual development of existing platforms and identification of new technologies when relevant.
Degree or higher in a numerate subject area OR relevant work experience.
• As part of the Web & Apps Team, create and support web systems for our internal platforms: Linux, Nginx, PostgreSQL and Python stack for new systems / Linux, Apache, MySQL, and PHP for legacy systems.
• Manage the relationship with our partner agency for BAS external websites
• Support the BAS Information Services group to make data and information FAIR (findable, accessible, interoperable and reusable)
• Be part of BAS's Technical Design Authority committee (Band E)
• Line manage a web applications developer (Band E)
• Contribute to the future direction of and strategy for BAS' web presence
• Support the overall web presence of BAS in terms of internal and external web sites and applications in conjunction with the Information Services, IT and Communications groups.
• Create documentation describing the technical solutions implemented.
• Collaborate with other groups within BAS to increase the consistency and robustness of BAS's web-based systems.
• Any other duty appropriate for the Band and skills as instructed by the Director
Closing date for receipt of application forms is: 1st September 2019
Interview date: TBC
Proposed start date: ASAP