|Listed on:||26th June|
QinetiQ comprises teams of dedicated people; experts in defence, aerospace, security and related markets. We draw on our extensive technical knowledge and intellectual property to provide the know-how and support to solve some of the world's most challenging problems. Our people make the critical difference to customers by providing unique approaches to problem solving. Why don't you join some of the world's finest scientific and technical minds and help us make tomorrow work today?
Job description/Person specification
Lead Software Developer/Architect - Farnborough
We are looking for someone to join our team of highly technical multi-disciplined and enthusiastic engineers and be responsible for defining and developing a complex multi-disciplined solution for an Acoustic Processing System within the RaCS Project. You will lead the software architecture & development activities.
Maritime, Land & Weapons provides solutions to the various parts of the MOD in the sub surface, surface and air environments as well as to customers both inside and outside of UK government. These projects span a diverse range, from pure research through to product development and deployment. Recent projects include specification, development and delivery of; underwater signature measurement ranges, radar cross section measurement systems, high security classification networks and databases, specialist test systems and electronic warfare test systems.
We offer the opportunity to get involved and help create the solution, across the whole lifecycle from feasibility to acceptance with challenging and unique engineering projects. Some travel is involved; which will include Range visits and multi (UK) site working and collaboration with partner teams and companies.
Role responsibilities and challenges:
You will be joining a team of highly technical multi-disciplined and enthusiastic engineers contributing to the development and installation of software in UK ranges. You will work numerous stakeholders in a diverse team; activities include:
• Leading and advising a team of engineers, including: Providing advice and support on the professional development of engineering staff; Lead any Engineering mentoring activities within the project;
• Production of supporting technical plans & documentation for solution.
• Taking ownership of an ongoing software development in its mid- development lifecycle
• Refining the design to meet emergent user community needs
• Instrumentation of software for benchmarking and verification of performance requirements.
• Deploying software components targeted to Cisco UCS Blade Infrastructure within VMWare Virtual Machines.
• Ensuring the ‘intelligent application' of engineering process and recommend changes to improve processes;
• Ensure that appropriate engineering governance is applied, including: Technical assurance, deliverables meet appropriate Technical Standard, comply with statutory, regulatory, company, divisional and project specific requirements;
• Contribute to the Maritime Solutions Engineering Science Technology Strategy;
Education, Qualifications and Training
• Degree in engineering, a pure science or allied subject is desirable.
• Chartered Engineer is desirable.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience Required
1) Core Skills
a. Experience of leading software architecture/development teams, delivering software architectures
b. Adherence to Coding Standards (Parasoft dotTest)
c. Ability to document architecture and design with UML and SysML
d. Ability to implement Software Engineering processes (SCM, Change Control, QA...)
e. OMG Data Distribution Service (ideally RTI Connext and in-depth)
f. Manage development of dotNet applications
2) Real-Time & Embedded System skills
a. Real-Time Embedded systems design and development (ideally with Linux, C & C++)
b. DSP design and development (ideally including beamforming)
c. Data acquisition system design and development
d. FPGA experience
e. Linux kernel performance tuning
Personal Qualities and Behavioural Requirements
• Drive and determination; Open, honest and enthusiastic team member;
• A proactive and dynamic professional attitude to internal and external customers;
• Excellent analytical skills and judgment, pragmatic and reasonable;
• Good problem solving abilities;
• Ability to work under time and budgetary pressures;
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
• Ability to work collaboratively across Maritime and QinetiQ.
Desirable Criteria (but not essential)
• Experience of Middleware, particularly RTI Connext DDS
• Borland Starteam, SmartGit / Git for Source & Change Control, Bugzilla Defect Management.
• Use of Scitech NET Memory Profiler
• Use of tools such as: Jenkins Continuous Integration, Parasoft CPPTest, dotTest, Gerrit, CMake, Doxygen, Valgrind, Nagios, Graylog, Ansible, MATLAB (Signal Processing / Analysis / Algorithm Development applications)
• Knowledge of Virtualisation Environments (VMWare) and VMware vCenter centralized management applications
• Use of Linux System Management tools (Apt,PXE,Ansible)
• Use of protocols (DNS, DHCP, IP, SNMP, PTP, NTP, http, LDAP, Active Directory)
• Experience with Python/Go/Lua for Test Harness, Algorithm Development, Data Conversion, Application Loaders, Interface Layer applications.
You would be joining a team that takes career development seriously. We support and encourage members of our team through IPD to achieve at least Chartered status with the appropriate professional body, and ongoing CPD to maintain their professionalism.
At QinetiQ, we encourage our people to move between teams to improve their skills and experience. We have a comprehensive training programme available to all employees. You will be encouraged to develop your career and skills sets, cultivate new ideas and help drive business products forwards. Your initiative, enthusiasm and drive are as important to us as your job specific skills. Maritime Solutions regularly funds research and development investments, prototyping new ideas and developing into products supporting business development campaigns. Our teams regularly find themselves developing new ideas and presenting to our key customers. Building and developing customer relationships is essential to our business strategy. Your involvement will be crucial to this.