Senior Technology Advisor - Security
This job has now expired please search on the home page to find live IT Jobs.
Senior Technology Advisor - Security
Based from one of our client's UK offices
Our client has had responsibilities for communications network security and resilience for several years and have recently received new responsibilities in this area. In light of the increasing economic and social significance of communications and services, the security and resilience of fixed and mobile networks and services is becoming more important and our client is taking proactive steps to ensure that they are designed and operated to meet the needs and expectations of users.
Purpose of the Role
Working closely with the rest of Network Security and Resilience team, you will be responsible for supporting the roll-out of a security and resilience assurance scheme. The role will require you to provide technical insights and help develop guidance on security architecture, security operations and risk management processes so that our client's policy position and approach to regulation of cyber security and operational resilience is effective and appropriate. Our client's approach to cyber security regulation is based on proactive and collaborative engagement with industry to understand and improve cyber security and network resilience capabilities so that services used by consumers are less vulnerable to security incidents and service outages.
Requirements of the Role
- Supporting the management and progress monitoring of a security and resilience assurance scheme that has been introduced across companies in the NIS Digital Infrastructure sector and the Communications Provider community. This will include carrying out and managing security assessments and monitoring improvement plans.
- Working closely with other regulators, both within the UK and beyond, NCSC in their role as the UK's NIS technical authority and DCMS as the lead government department.
- Work with other members of the team in responding to and assessing telecoms and digital infrastructure company responses to security incidents that occur in their infrastructure which are reported to our client.
- Work with colleagues in the investigations teams to provide technical support in relation to any enforcement activity.
Skills, knowledge and experience
Whilst some of the technologies associated with telecoms network services are long established, new and innovative technologies continue to emerge and their configuration and management continues to evolve to match the increasing consumer demand for broadband capacity and a better quality of experience. These include the roll-out of faster fibre, cable and wireless access networks, the transition from PSTN to voice over IP telephony services, evolution of key core bearer routing and transmission technologies, and a wider use of software controlled flexible network elements.
The technology associated with digital infrastructure recently introduced into our client's scope extends the breadth of this technology to include internet peering gateways and DNS infrastructure. Understanding the approach to defining, mitigating and managing the security risks these technologies present is part of this role.
Candidates for this role should have:
- A good understanding of the technical design and implementation of security controls required to protect fixed and mobile telecoms networks, internet gateway providers and DNS infrastructure providers.
- A good understanding of the security challenges arising from current and emerging technologies including; cloud hosted solutions, software defined networks, NFV, multicasting, content delivery networks, faster optical fibre connections, 5G, Internet of Things and DNS infrastructure.
- A good understanding of how to implement effective operational tools and procedures to support security architecture.
- A good understanding of how risk management and governance frameworks support security architecture.
- Experience with evaluating technical vulnerabilities and identifying reasonable and appropriate control measures.
- Written and oral communication skills including clear and effective presentation to both internal and external audiences.
- Appreciation of and desire to promote our client's values of excellence, agility, empowerment and collaboration.
Desirable Skills / Experience
- Experience and understanding of managing and monitoring cyber security assurance programmes.
- Experience of project management including developing and delivering against plans, managing risks and issues along the way.
- Preferably educated to degree level (or equivalent)
- Relevant professional qualifications
- Have an existing security clearance, or clearable to ‘SC' level
Our client offers competitive salaries plus pensions and flexible benefits package.
The organisation recognises that not everyone has the same needs and they strive to offer flexible working arrangements to help manage work and personal commitments. They have family friendly policies that actively seek to support colleagues and enable teams to work in the most effective way.
Our client is an equal opportunities employer and committed to equality of opportunity for all. As a disability confident employer, all disabled candidates who meet all the essential criteria of a job description will be guaranteed an interview.
This role is based on a full or part time basis.
To apply for the role of Senior Technology Advisor (Security), please apply via the button shown.
This vacancy is being advertised by Webrecruit. The services advertised by Webrecruit are those of an Employment Agency.
Additional Keywords: Senior Technology Advisor, Security, Cybersecurity Consultant, Senior Cybersecurity Consultant, IT Security Advisor, IT Security Consultant, Cybersecurity, Cyber Security.