SENIOR ENGINEER - System Custodian, Power
The primary purpose of the post is to develop a close working relationship with their respective Design Authority related to the In-Service Submarines and identify system or structural issues with regards to design changes, significant maintenance, concessions, safety hazards and defects.
From this, you will be able to highlight known risks, issues and opportunities to the Design Services and Project Management (DSPM) stakeholders.
In order to achieve this, you must maintain a comprehensive understanding of their respective systems or structures, including a working knowledge of upcoming engineering challenges as well as known Engineering Issues.
- The Through Life Management Framework (TLMF) project will support you in understanding the Engineering Challenges associated to future Support Projects.
- Applying your knowledge of Design Authority (DA) policies and requirements, the role will provide specialist analysis of the TLMF Through Life Boat Plans (TLBPs) in order to identify future Support Project Risks and Opportunities.
- You will generate and record meaningful TLBP Recommendations to address these Challenges for approval by the DSPM community.
- You will maintain a live 'Technical Network' of key stakeholders across the In-Service Submarine support enterprise.
- Where appropriate and as directed by your Manager, you will also support delivery of Maritime Support Delivery Framework (MSDF) Outputs.
- For DS Recommendations, you will provide 'Cat&Class' supervision; reviewing, conducting or coaching 'Cat&Class' such that any DS Recommendations are appropriately Authorised with regards to technical risk.
- Where appropriate and required, given the unique positioning of the role and its exposure to the aforementioned risks, issues and opportunities, you will also provide some 'Reactive Support' to their respective DA, DSPM and the broader Babcock organisation. This may include providing Informal Advice at urgent meetings or providing ad hoc support to urgent tasking.
- Where this Reactive Support results in a DA or Design Query (Design Question, Issue or Project), the post holder shall first agree their resource commitment and approach with the relevant discipline Manager for DA Design Queries and Head of Department for Design Queries; ensuring that their Line Manager is informed of new Queries.
Principal Tasks and Responsibilities
- Deliver TLMF Project outputs in accordance with the project schedule.
- Competently operate and manipulate the 'TLBP Tool' in support of generating TLBP Engineering Intelligence.
- Capture, collate and communicate engineering risks, issues and opportunities associated with upcoming engineering challenges.
- Maintain a comprehensive 'Technical Network' of key stakeholders across the In-Service Submarine support enterprise.
- Capture, collate and communicate engineering Risks, Issues and Opportunities associated with known Engineering Failings.
- Identify improvement or business opportunities across the enterprise for DSPM intervention.
- Support delivery of MSDF Outputs where directed.
- Provide a record of key System Custodian actions in the System Custodian Achievements Log.
- Support the generation of Indicative Programme Schedules (IPS) by the Advance Planning Team.
Qualifications and Experience Requirements
- You will hold a minimum of a second class degree or comparable academic standard in an appropriate discipline (or hold a HNC/HND with significant relevant experience).
- You will hold IEng (CEng for SC Structures) status with an appropriate Engineering Institution.
Nuclear qualification to Cat B Naval Reactor Plant operator is highly desirable (not SC Structures).
You shall be able to demonstrate operating, commissioning or other relevant submarine experience (not SC Structures; who shall be able to demonstrate experience of submarine design change management, material state management, hull surveillance techniques, structural degradation and defect rectification).
- You shall have extensive experience and knowledge in the delivery of In-service Submarine Support (including structure, stakeholders, operations, working practices etc) with an understanding/experience of project management.
- You should be capable of working professionally and objectively in support of the Senior Management within DSPM teams.
- You will require the ability to communicate effectively with both internal and external staff at all levels within the Submarine enterprise, including Senior Management/Directors; including written technical reports and briefs.
- You will be capable in the use of appropriate Project Management & IT tools (especially MS Project and Excel).
For further information and to discuss this role in detail, contact Stephen Slade on [Telephone number removed]