Linux Systems Administrator
£32000 - £37000
Recruitment Genius Ltd
This job has now expired please search on the home page to find live IT Jobs.
A great opportunity to work for a successful live event ticketing software company. Owners of the VIA Ticketing System, they provide software, services and consultancy to arts festivals and venues around the world.
They are the ticketing solution that drives the Edinburgh Festival Fringe (the largest arts festival in the world), as well as the largest arts festivals on four continents with clients across the UK, Australia, South Africa, UAE and Canada.
Due to the high level of responsibility and autonomy in this role, you must be a self-starter who can set out your own work day. You won't be left alone, but you won't have your hand held either. You will receive fantastic support but you will be expected to make your mark and suggest the best way forward. You will get freedom from this role. It requires someone not afraid to use it.
It is expected that you will want to take responsibility for keeping things running, and that means committing to monitoring system performance and responding to alerts as and when they happen (and they will!). You'll love problem solving. If you don't know something you'll want to find it out, because you want to learn. You won't be afraid to ask questions.
- Maintenance of between 60 and 150 Linux hosts depending on client activity
- Actively monitor systems to identify issues and fixing problems as they arise
- Participate in evening and weekend on-call rota to ensure 24/7/365 support coverage as well as moving to a 6-day working week (returned in lieu) during July and August.
- Assist the Systems Administration team with installation and upgrade of internal and client systems
- Understand the importance and requirement to follow a formal Change Request process
- Maintain documentation of the current systems environment and communicate change to the environment to the team
- Participate in the configuration, complete the installation and maintain a city wide box office system and network during July and August
- Participate in monitoring and recording of the PCI:DSS regime of the company and key customers
- Linux Systems Administration with Commercial experience, preferably CentOS / RedHat Enterprise Linux and/or Debian
- Ability to use own initiative to creatively solve problems, whilst also knowing the best time to ask for help from your colleagues
- Ability to plan work and proactively manage systems
- Excellent communication skills. An ability to communicate with both technical & non-technical colleagues and customers
- Shell scripting skills (Bash / PHP)
- Basic networking skills (routing, firewalling, DNS, DHCP)
Preferred additional skills and experience
- JBossAS, JBoss EAP or other Java EE container, e.g Tomcat
- Network and performance monitoring - Nagios/Icinga, Cacti, Graphite
- MySQL/MariaDB administration (queries, maintenance & performance tuning)
- Experience with AWS a distinct advantage
- VPNs (SSL or IPSEC)
- Virtualisation (KVM / Proxmox)