About the role
Payment Services team is at the heart of Tesco Technology, serving 28 million+ shoppers in the UK and abroad. We deliver HTTP services that take Card Payment at global scale. We also provide capabilities that detect and prevent fraud, and building innovative technologies to reduce Loss. 100M+ transactions/day, multi-billion events/day, a billion pound/week. We work at scale.
At the core of our capability is the Card API, that takes all card payment and vault card data in a highly secure environment. It is built using .NET 4.6 and .NET Core. It runs on-premise and Azure. We embrace DevSecOps as much as we can. Automated Security Scan, Continuous Delivery, Canary, Blue-Green deployment, Feature-Flag are core to our success. Kanban is in full swing. We support what we code.
Entire Tesco Engineering is quite advanced in adopting Containers, Micro-service and Event Sourcing architecture.
The team is humble and supportive of each other and highly collaborative both internally and with other teams. Egos should stay at home.
London based position. Friday is usually work from home (Yeah!)
Reports into: Software Development Manager or Head of Software Development.
You will be responsible for
Typically the role involves the following activities:
- Pairing with other engineers to write high quality code that's easy to understand and work with.
- Writing tests - very often before the associated code - at unit level with Spec Sharp and xUnit.
- Reviewing pull requests and giving good feedback.
- Attending backlog planning sessions to discuss and estimate (small, medium, large) upcoming stories.
- Taking part in understanding requirements and designing API endpoints and their implementations.
- Supporting the service, both during office hours and out of hours via paid support rota.
- Automating the build, provisioning and deployment in the cloud.
- Implementing monitoring and alerting mechanisms via Splunk, Runscope and other tools.
- Building for security and user data privacy. We aspire for full PCI Compliance.
- Being involved with attracting and interviewing further excellent engineers for Tesco.
You will need
- .NET Framework and .NET Core skill.
- Designing and building distributed systems, for scalability, availability and performance.
- Testing everything, automating everything.
- Written and verbal communication skills.
- Problem solving, analysis and computational skills.
- Customer focus.
- Innovative approach to problem solving.
What will make you stand out:
- Experience in implementing Event Sourcing and Micro-service architecture.
- Proficiency in Kubernetes.
- Some experience in Cassandra.
- Some experience in Kafka.
- Some experience in MySQL/Postgres.
- Defensive or Offensive Security skill/certifications.
- Some Azure skill.
- People Management skill of a team of 5-7 people.
Why Tesco Technology....
- We are building systems to solve real world problems at scale, with impact for tens of millions of people
- There are great engineers (and managers and product people) to learn from
- We are agile and enlightened in our approach to building software and teams
- There's a great atmosphere and we work sustainably as a team
- Tesco has a "do the right thing" mentality
- We promote flexible working
- The canteen is excellent!